Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Utd XV: A New lifeline ...

Default Re: Man Utd XV: A New lifeline ...

Van Persie scores again for Dutch

Robin van Persie made it 11 goals in his last 10 internationals by hammering home in the Netherlands' 3-2 triumph over Australia in Porto Alegre.
    Louis van Gaal's men were not as impressive as they were in slaughtering Spain 5-1 last Friday but collected another three points in Group B despite falling behind in the second half. Van Persie also picked up a yellow card and will miss the final group fixture against Chile through suspension.

The Socceroos competed well throughout and van Persie struggled for service as his team's spearhead. Aside from a trademark headed clearance to a corner, he was not heavily involved and saw Arjen Robben initially overtake him in the goal stakes with his third of the tournament.

The Bayern Munich left-winger sped through the defence for a solo effort to provide a boost for van Gaal's men. However, the celebrations had barely died down when, one minute and nine seconds later, Tim Cahill showed what he can do with his left foot by unleashing a startling volley that thundered in off the underside of Jasper Cillesson's bar.

Australia continued to pose problems and created the clearer chances of the first half although van Persie was unlucky on one occasion to see the ball bounce up and hit his arm when controlling it inside the box. The start of the second period was no better for the Dutch skipper as he was booked for catching Matthew Spiranovic in the face.

Worse was to follow for Holland with Daryl Janmaat harshly adjudged to have handled Oliver Bozanic's cross from close range and Mile Jedinak sent Cillesson the wrong way from the spot. The lead lasted only four minutes as van Persie was played onside as he collected a Memphis Depay pass and took full advantage. There was never any doubt he would score as his powerful drive had the net billowing.

Van Persie survived calls for a second yellow card after a foul on Jedinak but, soon after Leckie chested an effort into Cillesson's grateful arms, Depay's long-ranger found its way past Maty Ryan's unconvincing dive to hand van Gaal's side the lead. The coach withdrew his captain with three minutes remaining, safe in the knowledge that the United star is now joint-leading scorer in the tournament with Robben and Germany's Thomas Muller.

RVP the super sub!

Reds duo lose to Uruguay

Manchester United strikers Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck experienced World Cup heartache on Thursday as England lost 2-1 to Uruguay in Sao Paolo, a result that seriously damages their chances of progressing from Group D.
    The defeat doesn't put Roy Hodgson's side out of the finals, though it does leave them needing to beat Costa Rica by a significant score if Italy win their two remaining matches.

England started the match at a pace and went close to breaking the deadlock in the 10th minute as Rooney – playing through the middle – bent a delicious free-kick just over the bar from around 20 yards.

Uruguay quickly hit back and Chistian Rodriguez should have done better with a wayward shot that flew high and wide from the corner of England’s penalty box.

Edison Cavani wasted an excellent chance in the 27th minute when his shot from Luis Suarez’s pass was sent into the stands from a promising position inside the area. Just a few moments later, at the other end, Rooney latched on to Steven Gerrard’s cross at the far post to bravely head onto the bar.

England continued to press but were undone by a counter attack in the 39th minute as Cavani’s brilliantly lofted cross found Suarez, who nodded past Joe Hart. Reacting well, Daniel Sturridge forced a fine save from Fernando Muslera before half-time.

Suarez almost scored again at the start of the second half when his direct corner forced a panicked save from Hart, who watched another shot from Cavani float around the post just a few moments later.

With composure regained, England then went up the other end and could have restored parity when Rooney latched onto Leighton Baines’ cross to fire straight at the goalkeeper from six yards.

Welbeck was replaced by Adam Lallana on 70 minutes as England pushed for an equaliser that eventually came through Rooney, who tapped into an open net following an excellent run and cross from Glen Johnson. It was Rooney's 40th international goal, which moves him level with former Reds striker Michael Owen on the all-time scorers list.

But just as the pendulum of power was swinging towards the Three Lions, Uruguay opted for route one and regained the lead as Suarez pounced on Steven Gerrard's lacklustre header to blast into the top corner, capping a clinical display for the Liverpool talisman.

Yay ... 2 more coming back ... lol ... no need to waste time with the national team!

Mata scores

Hernandez Scores!

With his goal Chicharito became the sixth different United player to net at the World Cup, following previous strikes by Robin van Persie, Marouane Fellaini, Wayne Rooney, Nani and Juan Mata. all fighting for a spot next season?

Luke Shaw just passed his medical examination hours ago, will be officially joining the club right after Ander Herrera within the next 24 hours.

Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 27th June 2014 at 10:23 AM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Profile: Ander Herrera

Manchester United has announced the signing of Ander Herrera from Athletic Club. But how much do you know about the Spanish central midfielder? Read on to learn more…
    Background: Ander Herrera was born in Bilbao on 14 August 1989. His schooling in Spanish football came at Real Zaragoza where he made 41 first-team appearances and helped them win promotion to La Liga in 2009. Two years later, Herrera moved to Athletic Club in the city of his birth for a reported fee of £6.6million.

The Bilbao boy: As one third of an effective midfield triumvirate that also included Oscar de Marcos and Ander Iturraspe, Herrera became a key component in a team that quickly ascended the ranks of Spanish and European football. In fact, during his first season at San Mames, under the tutelage of maverick manager Marcelo Bielsa, the club were runners-up in the Europa League and Copa del Rey. A hernia injury proved troublesome throughout the 2012/13 campaign, when a series of big-name players secured moves away from Bilbao, although Herrera's eventual return helped steer Athletic away from the relegation zone. With his reputation enhanced, interest from overseas clubs, including United, was reported. Alas, it wasn’t to be and the playmaker continued to impress in Spain, scoring five goals in 33 appearances to help secure a fourth-placed finish in 2013/14.

Have we met him before? In March 2012, United welcomed Athletic Club to Old Trafford for a Europa League encounter that was meant to be one-sided. Unfortunately, the Reds were caught off guard and suffered a humbling 3-2 defeat at the hands of Bielsa's powerfully energetic side. Herrera played a starring role that night, clocking up 86 minutes of action and one assist for de Marcos. A second-leg defeat at San Mames followed, sending the Reds bowing out of Europe. After witnessing his team's defeat, Sir Alex Ferguson said admiringly: “Athletic Club's work rate is higher than any I have seen in Europe. But it is not just about their work rate, they are very good footballers too. They will go far.”

Country calling: Herrera has so far been capped by every age group with the Spanish national team except the senior side and he notably played alongside David De Gea and Juan Mata for the Under-21s. He also made three appearances for Spain's Olympic team during the 2012 Games in England. With all the talk of a watershed for Spain's World Cup-winning midfielders, following their early exit from Brazil 2014, Herrera's full debut could be on the cards if he catches the eye with United.

What we said: "Ander is a fantastic young player, with great energy and creativity. We believe him to be one of the brightest young prospects in Spain and I am certain he will be a big hit with the United fans. I’m delighted he has made the decision to come to Manchester and play his part in the club's future." - Ryan Giggs

What he said: “Signing for Manchester United is a dream come true. I have played at Old Trafford for Athletic Club in the UEFA Europa League and it was one of the highlights of my career so far. I have joined United to do all I can to help the team reach the club's objectives. Having arrived on Tuesday I'm excited to now be living in Manchester and I can't wait for my first game in United's famous red shirt.” - Ander Herrera

Ander Herrera welcome to the Theatre of Dreams! Where your Dreams come true! lol...
    Last edited by melvin; 27th June 2014 at 02:59 PM.

Shaw signs for United

Manchester United is delighted to announce the signing of Luke Shaw from Southampton Football Club. He joins on a four-year contract with an option to extend for a further year.
    Shaw, 18, recently gained his third cap for England and was the youngest player to feature in this year’s World Cup campaign. The left-back has made 67 appearances for Southampton since making his debut in 2012.

Luke Shaw said: "I am thrilled and excited to be joining Manchester United. I have been at Southampton since I was eight years old and I would like to thank them and the fans for everything they have done for me. I want to continue to progress my career and joining United is the ideal place for me to do that. I am looking forward to this new chapter in my life and also looking forward to learning from the world-class players and management at the club."

Manchester United assistant manager Ryan Giggs said: "Luke is a very talented young left-back with great potential. He has developed immensely during his time at Southampton and has all the attributes to become a top player. I am delighted he has joined Manchester United as I believe this is the right club for him to continue his development as a young player and eventually fulfil that promise."

Luke Shaw confirm.

Profile: Luke Shaw

Widely regarded as one of the most exciting prospects in English football, 18-year-old Luke Shaw arrives at Manchester United with the potential for many seasons of success ahead of him.
    Having returned from the World Cup in Brazil with Roy Hodgson’s England, Shaw arrived at the Aon Training Complex on Friday to seal his move, just a day after the Reds completed the signing of Ander Herrera from Athletic Club. Here, we chart his fledgling career...

The early years: Despite his tender age, United’s new recruit is remarkably experienced after flourishing at Southampton under the tutelage of former managers Nigel Adkins and Mauricio Pochettino, making 67 first-team appearances to help the Saints cement their status as a Barclays Premier League club. However, his progress at St Mary’s began back in 2004 when he joined the south coast outfit as a fledgling 10-year-old prospect... but only after boyhood team Chelsea turned him down for being too small. “I think it was only when I was about 14 or 15 I got taller and bigger,” he recalls of his time at Stamford Bridge. “I can't remember much of being released. But I remember the first day of my trial at Southampton – I got a phone call straight away to say they wanted me.” Shaw then graduated through a youth academy that has recently produced high-profile graduates such as Real Madrid superstar Gareth Bale, Arsenal’s Theo Walcott and their very own Adam Lallana, alerting several big clubs to his seemingly immeasurable talents.

First-team action: In January 2012, Shaw took his much-anticipated first-team bow during an FA Cup fourth-round draw at Millwall aged 16, coming on as a 77th-minute substitute for Jason Puncheon. He then watched from the stands as Southampton earned promotion from the Championship, although his chance to shine was just around the corner and a first-ever professional start arrived via a Capital One Cup first-round win at Stevenage at the outset of the 2012/13 season. A Barclays Premier League debut would follow, paving the way for a maiden campaign that yielded 28 first-team appearances as the Saints secured a respectable 14th-place finish. The 2013/14 term followed suit as Shaw registered another 41 outings, impressively missing just three top-flight fixtures. Perhaps most notably, his team-mates became the league’s surprise package with a brand of football that helped them finish just eight points behind United in eighth place.

International honours: Shaw earned his first full England cap in a friendly against Denmark in March 2014, producing an effective cameo at Wembley. Speaking afterwards, the patriotic teenager was understandably elated: "Wow, I'm 18 years old, I've played in the Premier League over 50 times and now I have a cap for England and not many 18-year-olds can say that. I'm very proud." That performance helped convince manager Roy Hodgson to pick the 18-year-old ahead of his idol Ashley Cole for this summer’s World Cup in Brazil – becoming the Three Lions’ third-youngest squad member in history behind Theo Walcott (17) and Michael Owen (18). While Everton's Leighton Baines was preferred for the defeats to Italy and Uruguay, Shaw was given the nod against Costa Rica and kept a clean sheet alongside new United team-mates Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. He is now expected to start when the Three Lions begin their qualifying campaign for Euro 2016 in September.

What they say: “Luke must think it is this easy for everyone. But it shows just how well he has done and he deserves everything he is getting. To be where he is in such short time is unbelievable. He has everything. Not many people get past him – the best wingers in the Premier League won't get the better of him. I can't remember one. For such a young lad it is frightening really. I think it is full credit to Southampton that the mental strength of them coming into the first-team and taking it in their stride, I have never seen anything like it.” – Rickie Lambert, former Southampton colleague.

Luke Shaw Profile

Who's next ?

Hope they turn out to be good signings..
    Was hoping we can get Blind instead of Shaw

We are in need of a central defender a proven quality..
    But no rumors yet..

In the meantime:

Büttner transfer finalised

Manchester United has finalised the sale of Alex Büttner to Dynamo Moscow for an undisclosed fee.
    The Dutch defender was one of Sir Alex Ferguson's last signings when arriving from Vitesse Arnhem in August, 2012. A dependable understudy for Patrice Evra at left-back, he scored on his debut against Wigan Athletic and also netted in Sir Alex's final game as manager at West Brom.

Although continuing to play second fiddle to the experienced Evra under David Moyes, Büttner was outstanding against Bayern Munich in the Champions League when the Frenchman was suspended, marking his fellow countryman Arjen Robben superbly.

Overall, Büttner made a total of 28 appearances for the club, 25 as a starter, with his final outing coming in the 3-1 defeat of Hull City at Old Trafford in May.

Everybody at Old Trafford would like to thank Alex for his service and wish him well for his new career in Russia.

Buttner all the best!

More transfer Rumours:

Manchester United are ‘close’ to sealing an £11m move for Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen – with the Red Devils having reportedly agreed personal terms with the 28-year-old.

Vermaelen has fallen down the pecking order at the Gunners, and with one year left on his contract in North London, the centre-back is ready to make the move to Arsenal’s Premier League rivals United.

According to talkSPORT, United still need to finalise a transfer fee with Arsenal for the Belgium international although it is believed that the Gunners may accept a fee in the region of between £10m and £11m.

Vermaelen would provide much-needed defensive reinforcements at the Old Trafford outfit following the departures of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand from the club this summer.

And should he complete the move to the north of England, the 28-year-old would join defender Luke Shaw and midfielder Ander Herrera as United’s new summer recruits.

Rivary Transfer

Manchester United have been linked with a shock move for former Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt.

Incoming manager Louis van Gaal is clearly a fan of the 33-year-old having selected him for the Netherland's World Cup squad and played him from the start in the 2-0 win over Chile in the group stage.

Reports now suggest Van Gaal may seek to continue working with Kuyt beyond this summer by bringing him to Old Trafford.

Since leaving Liverpool in 2012 the Dutchman has scored 18 goals in 63 league appearances for Turkish side Fenerbahce.

During his time at Liverpool he scored 51 goals in 208 league appearances over a six-year period. However it was Kuyt's work ethic rather than his goal return that caught the eye during his time at Anfield.

Another Rivary transfer

More new / old Transfer linked:
    Marco Reus
    Arda Turan
    Claudio Marchisio
    Toni Kroos
    Ross Barkley
    Mehdi Benatia
    Fernando
    Raphael Varane
    Mats Hummels
    Seamus Coleman
    Wiliam Carvalho
    Xherdan Shaqiri
    Koke
    Aaron Lennon
    Fabio Coentrao
    Mario Mandzukic
    Jan Vertonghen
    Julian Draxler
    Sami Khedira
    Antoine Griezmann
    Eliaquim Mangala
    Edinson Cavani
    Juan Bernat
    Luciano Vietto
    Santiago Arias
    Miralem Pjanic

No Kuyt please

As much as i like dirk kuyt, he's now 33 years old.. IMO i think there are better players out there.

Maybe we should sign Ochoa...

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post
    As much as i like dirk kuyt, he's now 33 years old.. IMO i think there are better players out there.
    Actually i won't mind if he is in his 20s... but at 33 hmmm.....

Louis van Gaal is immediately getting straight to work and settling down at Carrington in his new role of Old Trafford's incoming manager right after the Netherlands' World Cup campaign is over without any Leave of Absence (LOA) [01] [02].
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 1st July 2014 at 05:32 AM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Fellaini picks up injury

United's Marouane Fellaini is an injury doubt for Belgium's World Cup knockout clash with USA in Salvador on Tuesday.
    The Reds midfielder has sustained a thigh problem with coach Marc Wilmots confirming the injury is similar to the one troubling Rode Duivels team-mate Mousa Dembele.

Wilmots is hopeful both players will be fit for the encounter against the States but Manchester City's Vincent Kompany still has question marks over his involvement.

Fellaini scored in the 2-1 victory over Algeria after coming off the bench while Adnan Januzaj made his competitive debut in the final group game against South Korea.

Fellaini injury

Good can someone sent him back to us then we can prepare him to be sold off!

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Louis van Gaal is immediately getting straight to work and settling down at Carrington in his new role of Old Trafford's incoming manager right after the Netherlands' World Cup campaign is over without any Leave of Absence (LOA) [01] [02].

Maybe Costa Rica can help by sending them back early!

Louis van Gaal throwing his temper...

YouTube Video ID No. 6SVIU9l3BEW

YouTube Video ID No. YPFDZOZOJDG

He intimated the s*** out of the show host.

Really is a no nonsense type of fellow, I already see his personality clashing with those of some the players and they'll be getting f*** upside down by him soon but perhaps it is what we need to instil discipline and moral for the better.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 1st July 2014 at 02:14 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Louis van Gaal throwing his temper...

YouTube Video ID No. 6SVIU9l3BEW

YouTube Video ID No. YPFDZOZOJDG

He intimated the s*** out of the show host.

Really is a no nonsense type of fellow, I already see his personality clashing with those of some the players and they'll be getting f*** upside down by him soon but perhaps it is what we need to instil discipline and moral for the better.

lol... our new hairdryer...

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast