Thread: Which camera should i get? Sony Nex 5N or Pentax K30?

Default Which camera should i get? Sony Nex 5N or Pentax K30?

Hi i am new to photography. I'm currently saving up for a new camera however I'm not too sure which camera i should buy and really need some advice because i dont want to waste my money by purchasing the wrong camera. The camera shop workers isn't much of a help since they totally disregarded me seeing how young i look.

I am planning to get a camera to take photos of mainly people and scenery and daily things in life (food,etc). I have researched and seen some reviews about both sony nex 5n and pentax k-30 cameras and i am really lost in trying to pick out either of the camera.

I am totally new to photography so in terms of skills i am a newbie if it helps in decision making at all. Just really want to get a interchangeable lens camera as i have tried one of a old canon PowerShot cameras that my friend had and really dislike how little control i have over it :/

I'm only heading down to try out the cameras nearing the date of getting the camera since the workers probably wouldn't allow me to try out at all. Hope i can get some advice that can help me decide !

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by jesterxuan; 21st April 2014 at 10:44 PM.

Default Re: Which camera should i get? Sony Nex 5N or Pentax K30?

The pentax k30 has already been discontinued and has been replaced by the k50. So if you want a k30, you would only be able to get it 2nd hand. I've been using a k30 by the way and no regrets so far. It would be good as it has many features like twin dials, pentaprism viewfinder, etc.. which can usually only be found on higher end cameras.

Between the sony nex 5n and the pentax k30, it mostly also the matter of whether you want a mirrorless or a dslr. Both will be good at taking people and landscapes, though the k30 would give you slightly more manual control than the former. The nex 5n would be good for streets though, due to its size.

How about high-end compact camera (G1X, RX100, etc etc) with more control?

Hi, I would recommend a K30 over the nex for the following reasons:

1. Weather resistant body

2. More lens to choose from. Also more economical and faster zoom lenses.

3. Very good dynamic range for yr landscapes

For the price now, it's very good value for money considering the features inside the cam. No need to pay extra for sony apps which can be found inside the K30 (intervalometer, multiexposure).
    Am quite sure the Pentax is better at handling high ISO than the nex.

I wrote a user impressions review here where I underlined my thoughts about the K30.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ght=pentax+k30

If you want a DSLR handling camera on a budget, I think the K30 offers a lot as a camera and a system (esp, with small primes and cheap or high end weather sealed lenses)
    Do read the user review for more info.

The strength of a Pentax camera is handling, user interface, generosity in features for the price and smallish dslr system.
    Little nitty gritty bits in them that make sense when in use by a photographer.
    Very hard to show off such things in a review nor even just by touching one for 5mins at a store.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 21st April 2014 at 11:09 PM.

TS... what you mentioned... one is a mirrorless camera and another is a DSLR. Two more or less totally different systems.

From what I can see, both have good IQ, both are easy to use, both have good enough number of lenses for you to choose from (seeing that you are a newbie, you really don't need that massive among of lenses).

The biggest thing that I see about 5n and K30 was that 5n is small, and the lenses are not that big either, so you can carry it easily in a small enough bag. K30 was bigger, magnesium alloy body and have lots of features (not saying the 5n lacks of features though).

My advise to you is... go down to a shop that sell these camera, hold them in your hand, play with their menus and see which one you like best.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by Zig Ziggler View Post
    Hi, I would recommend a K30 over the nex for the following reasons:

1. Weather resistant body

2. More lens to choose from. Also more economical and faster zoom lenses.

3. Very good dynamic range for yr landscapes

For the price now, it's very good value for money considering the features inside the cam. No need to pay extra for sony apps which can be found inside the K30 (intervalometer, multiexposure).
    Am quite sure the Pentax is better at handling high ISO than the nex.
    Hi I think you are wrong because the K30 and the 5N use the same Sony sensor and the differences in dynamic range and high ISO are too small to notice because it is basically the same sensor

Why get into something that is intentionally being killed by its own manufacturer?

Sony Consolidating Alpha Brand; Kills “NEX” Branding . . . A-mount vs. E-mount

Thanks everybody who replied!
    Now I can't find any brand new k-30 stocks anymore ,:/

Not sure if I should buy a secondhand one as i am not too sure if I would miss out on any problems with the camera itself (fungus growing/any issues with the camera in general)

Thanks anyways!!

Quote Originally Posted by jesterxuan View Post
    Thanks everybody who replied!
    Now I can't find any brand new k-30 stocks anymore ,:/

Not sure if I should buy a secondhand one as i am not too sure if I would miss out on any problems with the camera itself (fungus growing/any issues with the camera in general)

Thanks anyways!!
    Get the new K50. It is a fabulous camera. Or get the Sony A6000... pretty small and excellent IQ.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Get the new K50. It is a fabulous camera. Or get the Sony A6000... pretty small and excellent IQ.
    The price I was quoted for K-50 was over my budget. Else I would have bought it.

Since it's my first camera I don't want to overspend and regret it afterwards.
    (In case I don't give it the amount of love it deserves)
    Last edited by jesterxuan; 22nd April 2014 at 04:38 PM.

i wun recommend the GR IV to a beginner (i have the cam myself)...it is a good cam but being a fixed focal length at 28mm i.e. it cannot zoom..a beginner might not get used to it and end up not using it...

try to post a Want To Buy ad in the B&S section..maybe someone will want to sell their k30...
    Last edited by Yamakasi; 22nd April 2014 at 04:49 PM.

I think if you really want the K30, try looking at the B&S section. For 5N, i'm not sure if you are still able to get a brand new set now.

I have owned the K30 and NEX 5N before, both are good cameras where each have their pros and cons.
    For a start off with kit lens, either one would be great. Picture quality should not be much of a difference.

Why a 5N?
    Small size. It can be even be more compact with a 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 Powered Zoom Lens.
    Touch Screen if you consider that it is a nice feature.
    Sweep Panorama (for easy use of panorama shots)
    LCD Tilt Screen

Why a K30?
    Better ergonomics with lots of controls on the camera.
    Weather resistant body.
    I prefer the menus of the K30 as it is easy to understand and going through to the setting i want is a breeze. 5N menus is a bit messy for me.
    I felt the Auto White Balance of the K30 is alot better than the 5N. In indoors lighting, the white balance is more accurate.

Some additional question for your thoughts:
    1. Would the size of the camera matters to you?
    2. Do you prefer to shoot through the LCD or prefer to look through an Optical ViewFinder (OVF)?
    3. Would find bringing a big camera out to travel a hassle?

Can also consieer the samsung nx series. The lens should be enough for you for a start m there are reviews here on the camera. Do take a look

i will suggest go for sony.

if you dont mind. i want to sell old set of sony nex 5 with 1855mm & SEL 55 210mm (still with warranty), tripod..extra battery.. accessory.etc...
    if you keen to buy can drop me email... huijia07@hotmail.com
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jesterxuan View Post
    The price I was quoted for K-50 was over my budget. Else I would have bought it.

Since it's my first camera I don't want to overspend and regret it afterwards.
    (In case I don't give it the amount of love it deserves)
    Would you consider the K-500?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cam...1158553/review

It is a pretty beautiful camera... well make, excellent image quality, great low light performance and you get to enjoy full range of Pentax prime lens and zoom lens if you decided to carry on with photography hobby in the future.

As to getting second hand camera systems, I would seriously advise against it if you do not know what you are doing or checking for... because we have experience huge number of peoples (newbies and veterans) who get lemons because they do not know what to check and how to check the products.

If you have a friend who know how to check the products, then by all means bring him/her to the sales, or else... stick with first hand camera systems, at least you are protected by Singapore's lemon law and the warranty (local product only and not grey product).
    My lousy shots

Firstly you should decide which lenses you want or might need in the future. Newbies very often make the mistake to look only at the camera bodies just to find out later they aren't happy with the choice of lenses they get offered.

Since it is your first camera, I would suggest to go for a dslr. Go for a 2nd hand with warranty. Stick to the kit lens and resist to buy any more lens or accessories.

Why? A camera nowadays don't last long, after 2-3 years, you can then decide on waft you want then, switch systems,etc. just don't invest too much unless you are sure this is the system you plan to adopt.

The lens system is more important than bodies. A lens can work after 20 to 30 years and good lens do maintain their value if well taken care off. Camera bodies depreciate very fast and is worthless after a few years due to technology advances.

Why not Nex? Because the lens system is not mature yet and not sure where Sony is heading. Fyi, I using a Nex myself and love it. So don't get me wrong. A Nex is still a very good option. Buy if you are starting out, a dslr is still better.