Thread: Nativity Church Singapore (Amateur)

Default Nativity Church Singapore (Amateur)

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Post-Porcessing and Technique

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To capture the scene using bracketing & blend them manually using Photoshop so as to match the exposure of the sky with the background and to get more details from the sky with the use of ND filters.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Nativity Church Singapore
    ISO 100 F/9 w/ Haida ND3.0
    & canon 60D with sigma 17-50
    at 8 & 30 seconds manually blended with photoshop.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.

Foreground appears to be underexposed.
    IQ too low
    Composition not really there.
    Sky does not appear to have much details.

Constructive Criticism Welcome.
    Thank you
    Last edited by xjosephtbr; 21st April 2014 at 12:29 AM.

Default Re: Nativity Church Singapore (Amateur)

underexposed,

30s exposure time? don't see any effect here.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    underexposed,

30s exposure time? don't see any effect here.
    well,yes 30s for the foreground buildings and 8s for the sky. would it be wise to use an ND1.8 instead?

Top and bottom left corners have ceiling and railing(?) respectively in the frame. Could crop those out or take more care when composing your shot.

Weird green cast on the building in the centre with the red roof.

Don't see the point for long exposure here.. As catchlight says there isn't much effect of long exposure in this shot. You could even have done without nd filters and shot at a faster shutter speed (maybe 1/125 for sky and 1/30 for foreground at f/8). But if you were aiming for cloud movement, given the cloud movement I can see there, you would probably need around 3min(?) for some impact.

You could probably also have shot this later in the day, during the golden hour. The sky would probably be more interesting then.

Foreground is pretty dark, could have shot a separate exposure for it, or could be easily adjusted if you shot them in raw.

Quote Originally Posted by xjosephtbr View Post
    IQ too low
    Your setup is pretty good. Not sure why you have this problem.

Can't give much tips about composition cos I'm not too good at it myself.

I'm no where near Edutilos' level , but hope you find my comments useful. And keep shooting!

Blog Entries

You drag the shutter only when you want to achieve something... usually to:
    1. get light trails (stars, cars, boats, ferris wheels, etc)
    2. flatten out waves and get smooth silky water
    3. get smooth silky cloud movement.

For your shot, I do not even know what you are trying to achieve so you need long exposure. There is no water, light is too bright to get any light trails, there are no movement to capture, and the wind seems dead with no cloud movement. So why are you using an ND filter to make the shutter speed so much longer? And by adding that extra piece of glass/resin, you introduced other problems, color cast, as well as that nasty flare in the center.

You really need to think before you do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dura77 View Post
    Top and bottom left corners have ceiling and railing(?) respectively in the frame. Could crop those out or take more care when composing your shot.

Weird green cast on the building in the centre with the red roof.

Don't see the point for long exposure here.. As catchlight says there isn't much effect of long exposure in this shot. You could even have done without nd filters and shot at a faster shutter speed (maybe 1/125 for sky and 1/30 for foreground at f/8). But if you were aiming for cloud movement, given the cloud movement I can see there, you would probably need around 3min(?) for some impact.

You could probably also have shot this later in the day, during the golden hour. The sky would probably be more interesting then.

Foreground is pretty dark, could have shot a separate exposure for it, or could be easily adjusted if you shot them in raw.

Your setup is pretty good. Not sure why you have this problem.

Can't give much tips about composition cos I'm not too good at it myself.

I'm no where near Edutilos' level , but hope you find my comments useful. And keep shooting!

1. About the weird green cast I do suppose thats the lens flare. srry about it.

2. Haha. This was taken 20-30mins before the golden hour.

3. Yes. about the foreground i thought it was sufficient till i up the contrast.

and thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by xjosephtbr; 21st April 2014 at 12:07 AM.

well,yes 30s for the foreground buildings and 8s for the sky. would it be wise to use an ND1.8 instead?
    you have special ND filter to give you 30s on the top and 8s on the bottom?

you have special ND filter to give you 30s on the top and 8s on the bottom?
    I took two saparate photos with ND3.0 at shutters 30s and 8s and manually blended them in photoshop.

3. Yes. about the foreground i thought it was sufficient till i up the contrast.

and thanks for the feedback.
    Now I know why your foreground is so dark. What I think you probably did was to blend both exposures first, before you finally started to edit the overall contrast and whatever else (assuming the foreground was indeed properly exposed). You should have adjusted all your contrast-exposure-saturation-etc... settings in lightroom or photoshop individually for each of the exposures before you do the manual blending. Make sure both your foreground exposure and your sky exposure is properly exposed and processed before you go for the blending. After the blending you should not need to adjust any of those settings much.

And you really didn't need any nd filters for this shot imo..
    Last edited by Dura77; 21st April 2014 at 12:23 AM.

since you need to take two shots, than what is the need of ND filters?
    and there is no need to take two shots for such situation, a proper exposed RAW file able to pull out lot of information.
    unless you are shooting sunset plus light trails, these two are very unlikely you can get it within one frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dura77 View Post
    Now I know why your foreground is so dark. What I think you probably did was to blend both exposures first, before you finally started to edit the overall contrast and whatever else (assuming the foreground was indeed properly exposed). You should have adjusted all your contrast-exposure-saturation-etc... settings in lightroom or photoshop individually for each of the exposures before you do the manual blending. Make sure both your foreground exposure and your sky exposure is properly exposed and processed before you go for the blending. After the blending you should not need to adjust any of those settings much.

And you really didn't need any nd filters for this shot imo..
    i actually do what TS did, to blend before adjusting anything, which is actually what most people do. while i wouldnt say that its the correct way or the most common way, it would seem the most logical actually. any adjustments you do before blending only makes the job more difficult because it confuses you as to which part you actually want from each frame, and unless its a global adjustment, it is gonna make the whole blending process a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by shiosaki View Post
    i actually do what TS did, to blend before adjusting anything, which is actually what most people do. while i wouldnt say that its the correct way or the most common way, it would seem the most logical actually. any adjustments you do before blending only makes the job more difficult because it confuses you as to which part you actually want from each frame, and unless its a global adjustment, it is gonna make the whole blending process a bitch.
    Oic, that's quite true. No wonder I have been having some problems, especially on the saturation side. Cos for me, I find it difficult to bring out what I want in the sky and foreground seperately in photoshop after I have blended the photos (maybe due to my poor photoshop skills ), so I would usually do all the adjustments I want for the sky and foreground individually in lightroom before I blend in ps. Then after blending I would adjust only the opacity of the layers to get a balance.. Also cos I don't really know how to use the other functions yet

Will be trying out your method soon and see what works for me. Thanks!

Why use ND filter? Use bracketing and blend 3 shot to one according to what u want to achieve. unless u want the cloud to be creamy look. then u still can use the same techique with your last shot taking the sky with ND if required and blend.

You can optimize the set of images in lightroom first than use edit in layers in Photoshop, do note this will be in 16bit RAW file with multiple layers when open up in photoshop, and the file size can be a few GB,
    from there you can apply layer mask, changing the opacity of the mask or layers itself to get the effects you want.

you are not limited to do global adjustment in photoshop or lightroom if you know your tools well.

You can optimize the set of images in lightroom first than use edit in layers in Photoshop, do note this will be in 16bit RAW file with multiple layers when open up in photoshop, and the file size can be a few GB,
    from there you can apply layer mask, changing the opacity of the mask or layers itself to get the effects you want.

you are not limited to do global adjustment in photoshop or lightroom if you know your tools well.
    yes, adjustments can be made in both places, but i use lightroom as the final touch up software cos of the flexibility and simplicity

the only adjustment i make in LR is basically just lens correction before i open the layers up in PS for blending (editing)

would like to see more vibrant colours and better lighting in this shot, with a slightly tighter framing.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Thnks guys for th feedback. points taken into consideration.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    would like to see more vibrant colours and better lighting in this shot, with a slightly tighter framing.
    wa, zaren always breathe new life into any pic.

like this.