Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Thread: Shall we ban...

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    Go do a search on the history of AG outings can what happened to the stray cats as a result. If you bothered anyway.

You're the pro. Please teach me to comment properly, my english lessons stopped after I left sec sch.

I not even complete my primary school.
    Last edited by Tupi Guy; 4th July 2005 at 07:51 PM.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

BTW, mods

Look at post #118.

Good literature?

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtlander
    Hear! Hear!
    Yes, Hear! Hear!

But may I add. Also "Read! Read!

Have you read swing's critique of "Photography essay" in the Portraits subforum? If you had, then you would have understood what he/she was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    So nothing sensible to say? Contented that your balls are "Down there"? And talk about more crap?

Sorry Mods. Delete this post if you wish.

But such juvenile behaviour!
    and all the while u thought ur talking sensibly?

Quote Originally Posted by glensky
    and all the while u thought ur talking sensibly?
    Yes!Yes! you have brought me to my senses! Thank you ! Thank you! I am truly grateful to you. You who have the balls in the right place. Mine have been misplaced, in my mouth, hence affecting my utterances!

I should realise that I am only a student. I should know my place. How dare I think that I talk sense? My place is to learn from all you wise man with your profound utterances. Utterances of such wisdom that even the sages of old cannot comprehend.

I shall remember my place in this forum. And leave the wise to led the wise, where to I don't know, because only the wise can lead the wise.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    Yes, Hear! Hear!

But may I add. Also "Read! Read!

Have you read swing's critique of "Photography essay" in the Portraits subforum? If you had, then you would have understood what he/she was talking about.
    I have read the thread. I understood what she is saying but the spirit of that thread is not expressed here. She could have engaged us in a cordial intellectual discourse and it turned out like this! I guess I should just take more photos and write less in the forum. This whole thing left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by Voigtlander; 4th July 2005 at 08:22 PM.

+1

This is becoming an accelerated free for all.

think everyone should just take a step back, drink some water, cool down and think over it. no one is forever right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    think everyone should just take a step back, drink some water, cool down and think over it. no one is forever right or wrong.
    Not everyone will think this way.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

look here.

this thread was never meant as a platform for me to invite provocations and out-"counter-comment" anyone, despite me using (forewarned) very harsh words.

what i see now is a thread that is spinning on its head. those who have no other purpose than to add more spin, may i suggest you take your agenda somewhere else.

regarding the pms thing, which i agree i shouldn't have brought up in the first place .. please, read again (click here)

yawn ... relax lah. Why so serious ... maybe should join PPA or PASSTC . All the flaming and finger pointing dun really help the already degraded thread .......

by the way, here is an unconstructive statement.

Swing Out Sister is a favorite band of mine. you should try listening to them someday.

Quote Originally Posted by swingoutsister

Swing Out Sister is a favorite band of mine. you should try listening to them someday.
    Hmm ... actually , come to think of it . I find that your 'mood' in the 1st post looking for a disscusion kinda differs with the mood of your various replies to the rest of the individual. Well , just my thoughts , nothing serious abt it .

Quote Originally Posted by swingoutsister

Mine, too!

When explanations make no sense
    When ev'ry answer's wrong
    You're fighting with lost confidence
    All expectations gone
    The time has come to make or break
    Move on, don't hesitate
    Lesson in there, somewhere
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

cool it guys. I feel swingoutsister was merely trying to point out short comments doesn't help newbies much, in terms of learning. Much like photosig.com you know, where critiques with short comments isn't accepted.
    But this is clubsnap I know, you have your own rules. Her intentions were good. Perhaps she feels comments like *off to nick a comment fr photosig*

I, too, thoroughly enjoy this photo and wish it were larger!
    I see some sharpening halos around the edges of the top branch. Probably a side-effect of resizing and uploading, but I usually sharpen tiny details on the Lightness Channel in Lab Color Mode. It minimizes those halos because they are a factor of combining the RGB channels, and colors make white, so where they overlap you get white, bla bla

was what she's trying to point out. By letting the photographer know whats good and whats not, perhaps if he/she chose to accept it, may get more ideas and endowed with a chance to develope his skills further.

Well you can't stop ppl from saying "nice shots". But you should have put it in a nicer way as not to be misunderstood. Well, I'm just trying to decipher her mind. Sorry if I get it wrong.

Anyway U a gal? sounds just like my ex gf's way of tattrums. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    I had said more than I should.

I am in full agreement that no one is forever right or wrong. Indeed I might even take it further. I think that often a person might be more wrong than right, and some degree of self-introspection will be a useful attribute.

However, being more wrong than right, and even being right at the point of time, does not negate the general "correct behavior" to discuss in a reasonably "sensible" manner. Adults (and I mean sensible adults) can discuss rationally, putting forth their points of views. Disagreement is part and parcel of any debates and discussions. No one need to win. Just put forth points of view.

But it is useless to even try to discuss with those who have yet to grow up.

Critiques this thread (personal opinion time, not as a moderator .. TAKE NOTE please)...

A fine and noble concept put forward by swingoutsister that too many shots posted are vin ordinare, often accompanied by over enthusiastic back patting rather than the shredding the shot deserves at a technical and artistic level.

The counter arguement is that banal comments like 'this rox' 'good shot' etc encourage a photographer and his or her efforts.

Technical merit score for combined arguement: 1/10
    Artistic merit score for combined arguement: 2/10
    Overall score 1.5/10

C'mon folks surely you can do better than this level of debate, if you can call it that?

Now for my opinion on the standard of critique on CS.

Frankly it's pretty appalling! There are few here who will take the time to really sit down and analyse a posted shot, work out it's weaknesses and then offer constructive critisism and solutions to the problems in said shot. This is IMHO due to a number of factors:

1) Low standards of expectation of the critique giver.

2) Poor command of the English language (forgiveable as for many English is not their native language).

3) Insufficient technical or artistic knowledge of the poster.

4) Frequent mutual patting of backs by clique members.

5) Time constraints of the poster. *Try using dial up on CS sometime!*

To be fair there are some exceptional shots posted on CS, however they are in the minority and often garner little or no comments from viewers, apart from comments such as 'awsome shot' or a thumbs up. This I feel reflects the audiences inability to articulate the failings of the shot (if any) and also their lack of understanding of the finer points of photography. Again this is understandable given the relative inexperience of the majority of posters here on CS.

One viable solution would be a forum where users can post 1 shot per week and have them professionally critiqued, by professional photographers (ProImage, Jed, myself etc) or those amateurs who can demonstrate advanced levels of understanding and application of photographic techniques and methods (Ed1997 and Ellery for example).

Ian
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

I can understand what the threadstarter meant, I do observed that sometimes. However can we stop ppl from posting that kind of "reserved" remarks and ppl who critiques abt other ppl's remark, in a forum?

To be fair enough, I think we need to align our thinking. What you think may not be what other ppl think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Now for my opinion on the standard of critique on CS.

Frankly it's pretty appalling! There are few here who will take the time to really sit down and analyse a posted shot, work out it's weaknesses and then offer constructive critisism and solutions to the problems in said shot. This is IMHO due to a number of factors:

1) Low standards of expectation of the critique giver.

2) Poor command of the English language (forgiveable as for many English is not their native language).

3) Insufficient technical or artistic knowledge of the poster.

4) Frequent mutual patting of backs by clique members.

5) Time constraints of the poster. *Try using dial up on CS sometime!*

To be fair there are some exceptional shots posted on CS, however they are in the minority and often garner little or no comments from viewers, apart from comments such as 'awsome shot' or a thumbs up. This I feel reflects the audiences inability to articulate the failings of the shot (if any) and also their lack of understanding of the finer points of photography. Again this is understandable given the relative inexperience of the majority of posters here on CS.

Ian
    Very Well phrased ...

Cannot agree with you more, especially on #3 and #4 ...

I also like to add that not all posters are totally open minded and open to comments and critiques although we like to use statements like ... "feel free to comment" ... "comments welcome"

If we are truely want feedback from the community ... (i presume that's why we are posting pics here in the first place) then we have to be prepared for certain negative feedback and criticism sometimes ... Its all part of the learning experience ...

RGDs

Yawn! This is going nowhere. Let's move on shall we?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast