Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 159

Thread: Shall we ban...

  1. #81

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swingoutsister
    shall we ban comments like "very nice photos!"

    it doesn't help anything or anyone with comments like that, except to serve the egos of the thread poster.

    what can we all learn from comments like "very nice photos!"

    and then the poster goes on and take similarly weak pictures, post and get "very nice photos!" all over again.

    i'm sorry to be so harsh but some people here ought be given a rough shake.
    wake up! wake up!

    if you like it, share with us why you like it.
    Lousy idea! When ppl think this pic is nice why cant he/she comment "very nice photos". Is it becoz of one is jealous of others that he himself take pics never kena comment "very nice photos" by anyone so must impose ban on comments like "very nice photos"?
    Find tat the starter of this thread is a very strange person!

  3. #83
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    swingoutsister, you may want to illustrate what exactly you are meaning by posting some "example" critiques which fit your standard so that the rest of us have a better idea of what expectation you hold. As they say, a picture speaks a thousand words. Likewise, examples would aid in any conceptual theory you are trying to put forth.

  4. #84

    Default

    i won't tell you guys exactly how to type a critique. like i say, they can come in any form or level of understanding and technicality. just don't stop at something like "nice shot" and end of the story. (click here )

    you see..

    lets say a new member joins the forum and enthusiastically post a picture of a cat (a literal, straight on face shot of a kitty) taken with his newly aquired dslr and long lens.

    another new member comes along and says "hey, nice shot!"

    and we don't know exactly what about the shot of an anonymous street cat that interests him so much. maybe he likes the shallow DOF or he likes the amount of detail in the cat's hair. who knows.

    and the poster replies "hey , thanks " and that's the end of the story. so who gains in the end?

    so im suggesting perhaps the more experienced members of the forum would like to step in and help. maybe help them look beyond the simple technicalities of achieving a well-focused shot or well-exposed shot which shows off the amazing resolving power of the DSLR sensor.

    say, show more of the cat's environment instead of just a simple close up which evokes nothing. or hang around long enough to capture the kitty yawning, or a mate creeping up behind. etc. you know, that sort of thing.

  5. #85
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    Perhaps then you should start a certification system, just like the ISO 9000 :P Only those which pass swingoutsister 9999 is allowed to critique!!

  6. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Perhaps then you should start a certification system, just like the ISO 9000 :P Only those which pass swingoutsister 9999 is allowed to critique!!

    GOOD SHOT!!!

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swingoutsister
    you see..

    ...

    so im suggesting perhaps the more experienced members of the forum would like to step in and help. maybe help them look beyond the simple technicalities of achieving a well-focused shot or well-exposed shot which shows off the amazing resolving power of the DSLR sensor.

    say, show more of the cat's environment instead of just a simple close up which evokes nothing. or hang around long enough to capture the kitty yawning, or a mate creeping up behind. etc. you know, that sort of thing.
    There would be too much to say and too much to explain. More so when you are an experienced photographer and you know there are so many alternatives avaliable for such a simple example.

    I think time & opinions from experienced members/photographers are better spent when a poster has a specific idea/shot in mind and has not been successful in capturing in the photo(s), then the former may step in and help rather than to try commenting in detail on a general shot.

    Personally, if new members want to improve they should be looking at other people's photos and collecting different ideas by themselves and trying them out.

    Nothing much can be said when the picture itself says nothing, and everything can be said if we try hard enough but who really has the time and mentality to sit down on a general picture and scrutinise it till end? Like I wrote above, so many different possibilities with unlimited variables, it's easier if the newbie just went out to shoot more and more and more, and hopefully get better on his own. Constructive comments will not be coming till the picture means something or has potential to be greater.

  8. #88
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    to me. i sometimes give comments like nice shots or good shots. i want to give encouragement to new shooters to make sure they carry on with photograhy with an interests and know that their works are being appreciated.

    if u tell a noobie like ur work suxs or like poo. chances they will feel degraded and stuffs..

    somettimes.. we need to see who are we giving the comments. if its a noobie. we should encourage him or her to improve and give good comments to give encouragement.

    well.. i dun put pple down unless their work like realli those like erm... i dunno hw to put it.

    but in conculsion for me. i would rather give encouragement den put pple down..

  9. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swingoutsister
    i won't tell you guys exactly how to type a critique. like i say, they can come in any form or level of understanding and technicality. just don't stop at something like "nice shot" and end of the story. (click here )

    you see..

    lets say a new member joins the forum and enthusiastically post a picture of a cat (a literal, straight on face shot of a kitty) taken with his newly aquired dslr and long lens.

    another new member comes along and says "hey, nice shot!"

    and we don't know exactly what about the shot of an anonymous street cat that interests him so much. maybe he likes the shallow DOF or he likes the amount of detail in the cat's hair. who knows.

    and the poster replies "hey , thanks " and that's the end of the story. so who gains in the end?

    so im suggesting perhaps the more experienced members of the forum would like to step in and help. maybe help them look beyond the simple technicalities of achieving a well-focused shot or well-exposed shot which shows off the amazing resolving power of the DSLR sensor.

    say, show more of the cat's environment instead of just a simple close up which evokes nothing. or hang around long enough to capture the kitty yawning, or a mate creeping up behind. etc. you know, that sort of thing.
    Good!

  10. #90
    Senior Member GENO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Teddy Bear Land
    Posts
    2,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swingoutsister
    i won't tell you guys exactly how to type a critique. like i say, they can come in any form or level of understanding and technicality. just don't stop at something like "nice shot" and end of the story. (click here )

    you see..

    lets say a new member joins the forum and enthusiastically post a picture of a cat (a literal, straight on face shot of a kitty) taken with his newly aquired dslr and long lens.

    another new member comes along and says "hey, nice shot!"

    and we don't know exactly what about the shot of an anonymous street cat that interests him so much. maybe he likes the shallow DOF or he likes the amount of detail in the cat's hair. who knows.

    and the poster replies "hey , thanks " and that's the end of the story. so who gains in the end?

    so im suggesting perhaps the more experienced members of the forum would like to step in and help. maybe help them look beyond the simple technicalities of achieving a well-focused shot or well-exposed shot which shows off the amazing resolving power of the DSLR sensor.

    say, show more of the cat's environment instead of just a simple close up which evokes nothing. or hang around long enough to capture the kitty yawning, or a mate creeping up behind. etc. you know, that sort of thing.
    hope to see some good photos taken by u loh! i am still learning.
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

  11. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Behind the viewfinder...
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    Yawnzz.. let's move on people

  12. #92

    Default

    this is in direct response to zaren

    so this has become a personal mission for you to go on a proverbial witchhunt?
    how many such 'techno' posts do you see me make? how many does it take to make me a techno geek? 1? 2? 1000?

    the "how come my lens take photos like that" post.. it DOES look like what i have typed. period.

    if you want to go on and probe, go ahead. but hope you can keep the relevancy to the topic. start a new thread "i checked swingoutsister's profile and credibility...shall we ban..." if you wish.

    as for Geno and the others who keep asking for pictures from me, let me remind you, this thread is not "learn all about photography from my pictures". and for others who find this thread useless, please..yes, move on. it will die off by itself and become part of the stats.

    its been tiring trying to steer the thread towards its intented purpose, so would appreciate if no one else tries to sway it otherwise.

  13. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Now, one of the reason why this thread was allowed to go on-even when it's plain to see the semblance of it degrading into a free for all-was the intention of this thread.

    Swing, your intentions are noble perhaps but mis-guided. Even if it was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, people are still bound to react to the simple fact that you want to ban something that is actually quite fundamental in CS.

    More often than not, when a shot is posted to share with everyone else, I'm sure the thread started doesn't deliberately put his worst foot forward (although there might be exceptions).

    There is nothing wrong at all in telling someone it's a good shot. It's a simple form of encouragement and at the same time, helps the photographer see how the public reacts to the shot he has posted.

    That being said, there are also some shots that are really badly taken but we also need to understand all of us start from some where and a little encouragement goes a long way. But ultimately, whatever the feedback it, it's best left to the photographer to be the judge of the comments he receives.

    Swing, I do agree with you that "Good shot" or will only go so far in helping the photographer. If you truly wish to help the photographer grow, then please, do contribute your comments of the shots that have been shared. This, I believe, will make a much bigger difference than lobbying for a ban of a particular comment.

    May I please remind everyone to keep this thread civil because I have honestly no wish to close this thread has it definitely has it's merits but should the personal attacks and name calling continues, then all of us will know what's coming.

    Thank you.
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 4th July 2005 at 07:54 AM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  14. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by togu
    IMHO, good photographers MUST be bad in writing. That's why they have to, and can use their photos to express their thoughts.


    * togu is bad in writing....
    I think you should remain "H".

    I think you are talking absolute nonsense.

  15. #95

    Default

    Different pple see things differently ... why ban these ban that as what the garment is doing .. sigh then no more freedom of speech liao
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  16. #96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    I think you should remain "H".

    I think you are talking absolute nonsense.
    Doc .. I got high fever today and whatever I talk can be nonsense ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  17. #97
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swingoutsister
    this is in direct response to zaren

    so this has become a personal mission for you to go on a proverbial witchhunt?
    how many such 'techno' posts do you see me make? how many does it take to make me a techno geek? 1? 2? 1000?

    the "how come my lens take photos like that" post.. it DOES look like what i have typed. period.

    if you want to go on and probe, go ahead. but hope you can keep the relevancy to the topic. start a new thread "i checked swingoutsister's profile and credibility...shall we ban..." if you wish.

    zaren is trying to point out a simple principle to u, as a reminder to u b4 u post a similar thread next time (noble as ur intentions maybe, as wolfgang said).

    "Let he/she who has no sin, cast the first stone."

    in my case, i prefer Watcher's motto and signature.

    "It is better to keep quiet, and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth, and remove all doubt."

    enuf said. another new week and more opportunities to shoot more nice/great pics, rather than commenting and counter-commenting each other. dun u think so?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  18. #98

    Default

    On the whole, I do agree with "swing". I am not asking for a "ban". As mentioned by "swing" the actual intention is not "to ban", but a wake up call to think a little more.

    Regarding my post just earlier to togu, I hope his comments are in jest ( I think they are).

    All kinds of comments are made by people with all kinds of experiences. A new photographer may unfortunately not make statements more than "Nice" - "not nice". These are emotive responses and valid to the people making them. But it also an irony that for the purpose of learning, the most useless, because they come from the mouth of "babes" - people who know very little.

    I believe such comments wil continue and inevitable. But hopefully as one grows, more besides "nice" will emerge. Otherwise one will remained in a state of "arrested growth".

  19. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    enuf said. another new week and more opportunities to shoot more nice/great pics, rather than commenting and counter-commenting each other. dun u think so?
    Sam, agree that we are likely to reap more by doing more photography. And the main reason is that, notwithstanding this thread "nice" will go on!

    So to work I go! Have to make a living!

  20. #100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voigtlander
    I have mentioned before in my earlier post regarding showing us how to critique a photo as many of us lack the technical knowledge to do so. Why not use some of your photos as educational material to show us the finer points of photography critique? It would be helpful too if the photographer being critqued knows the credential of the photographer doing the critique as nobody wants to be insulted by an half-assed photographer with mediocre work i.e It helps to show your work first by a link to an online gallery. Talking the talk and not walking the walk does not mean anything in photography. Peter
    Against my better judgement, I would like to give some thoughts on your comments.

    You are in fact issuing a direct challenge to "Swing" - "using her photos", "what is your credentials", "Show your work first", "talking the talk and not walking the walk".

    I think this type of Direct Challenge is not warranted.

    What is important is the considered opinion and validity of the opinion - irrespective of who the person offering the critique is. Of course it will be a bonus, if the one offering the critque is a respected photographer.

    Assuming there you did not intend to actually "challenge" swing, what you may want is for "swing" to show you/us how he/she would critique an image, using ANY image that is available.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •