Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shall we ban...

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Shall we mark that on our calendars?
    i broke the rule and typed a subtle line of sacarsm.

oh you didnt get it, nevermind.

lets move on.

Quote Originally Posted by swingoutsister
    i just didn't see the need to make the redundant disclaimer of "i know there are other people doing something serious behind the scene and don't bang the big gongs"
    That's actually a nice way of telling you that you're making far too many assumptions without really looking in depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    That's actually a nice way of telling you that you're making far too many assumptions without really looking in depth.
    pray tell me..what are the assumptions i've made, and if they are proven false, which ones are those?

how much depth do you need in asking people if they are willing to add in more than just "very nice shots" in their comments?

i broke the rule and typed a subtle line of sacarsm.

oh you didnt get it, nevermind.

lets move on.
    I am moving on.

By the way, you have yet to show us how to make a good critique. Be a sport, please show us unenlightened souls who only know how to say 'good shot'!

pray tell me..what are the assumptions i've made, and if they are proven false, which ones are those?

how much depth do you need in asking people if they are willing to add in more than just "very nice shots" in their comments?

Shall we start with the list of profiles you keep bringing up in your messages? Face it, your agenda is not just about asking for comments other than "very nice shots". If it is, then why the list of character profiling?

And nope, I won't make the assumption that you're here to belittle, degrade, insult fellow members while trying to sound smart.

shall we ban comments like "very nice photos!"

it doesn't help anything or anyone with comments like that, except to serve the egos of the thread poster.

what can we all learn from comments like "very nice photos!"

and then the poster goes on and take similarly weak pictures, post and get "very nice photos!" all over again.

i'm sorry to be so harsh but some people here ought be given a rough shake.
    wake up! wake up!

if you like it, share with us why you like it.
    dude, post 1 pic, then see how we reply...
    web | blog | fb | ig

actually, i think what we should really ban are useless threads such as this 1
    web | blog | fb | ig

yes, threads are only as good and useful as the quality of responses it generates

yes, threads are only as good and useful as the quality of responses it generates
    I hope you actually read what you typed. Quality begets quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    Shall we start with the list of profiles you keep bringing up in your messages? Face it, your agenda is not just about asking for comments other than "very nice shots". If it is, then why the list of character profiling?

And nope, I won't make the assumption that you're here to belittle, degrade, insult fellow members while trying to sound smart.
    contrary to what some of you might have thought, i am a member of this forum for some time already, and not a newcomer (you can tell from my join date). just that i don't post that much in the past.

i do read the forums and it gets to a point where the quality of posts are going downhill and i just have to say something, as a forum member.

and if you did really read through what i have typed, i have already warned, i'm sorry i have to be so harsh, and i dont mince my words. and i have said, some people need to be given a rough shake. and yes, for once i agree with Sion, wake up and "look beyond the facade of girls, girls, girls"

i really hate to repeat and explain myself, but i just did.

hey there, I think the original post had some good intentions which ended up seeming badly placed
    I think that it is the responsibility of the poster of the photo to be more specific about what he wants commented on, be it technical issues or conceptual issues or emotive and expressive issues in a photo.

contrary to what some of you might have thought, i am a member of this forum for some time already, and not a newcomer (you can tell from my join date). just that i don't post that much in the past.

i do read the forums and it gets to a point where the quality of posts are going downhill and i just have to say something, as a forum member.

and if you did really read through what i have typed, i have already warned, i'm sorry i have to be so harsh, and i dont mince my words. and i have said, some people need to be given a rough shake. and yes, for once i agree with Sion, wake up and "look beyond the facade of girls, girls, girls"

i really hate to repeat and explain myself, but i just did.
    Just who do you think you are to play god? Who gave you the right to dictate what others should say and what they should like? You don't even have to pay a cent to be here do you? Your "assessment" of characters doesn't help you in your course. You messages are far from being constructive. You've gone beyond being harsh, malicious at best. Maybe the quality of posts had gone downhill. Afterall, we've got you haven't we?

Mind you, I don't attend car shows and launches just to come back with a camera load of images of racing queen but I can't (and won't) stop others from doing it. Its called "freedom" as you rightfully place it.

so now you are telling me how to phrase my words, and tone my language and attitude next time?

yes, i can be an easy person to get along with, but when i say something, i mean it and i don't tone down.

i don't assess or judge any characters, certainly not pointing fingers at any particular individual. just saying, those are the IMPRESSIONS i form from reading such posts. you can or don't agree with me, but you don't have to defend them to the point of being a protective angel and oppose every single word i say.

As some of you would expect, anyone advocating banning a specific type of post will get my wrath, swingoutsister not withstanding, pms or not. If OP really wants to improve the posts on this board, she can jolly well set an example, lead the pack and start first. Advocating banning free speech, using very inflamatory statements, and making gross generalisations, in my opinion, is seeking attention at best. I do not see any contribution to improving the postings on CS from her part.

OP may say what she wants, and apparently she did. I may say what I want, and I did, now, I will do the worse thing you can do to an attention seeker, IGNORE HER!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Default agreed

on one hand, I have to agree with swingoutsister. It has to be said that if
    this forum is to be a constructive one, comments like "nice shots" are simply
    too vague.

on the other hand, i realize that people are in club snap because it is CLUB-
    snap and not Association of Photographic professionals-snap. Maybe some
    people just want to see a vague response to their pictures or simple words
    of encouragement.

So this brings us to two conclusions. firstly, how would one critique a photo
    without being too vague. Well, instead of academia-izing the entire realm
    of www.clubsnap.org, let me just put a few things down -

Line, Shape, Direction, Texture, Size, Value, Colour, Balance, Repetition, Contrast, Harmony, Dominance, Unity.

a good photo should include at least a few of these. Basic photos usually
    contain mere dominance. Others include more.

Less is more does not apply here. Enough of that. I'm sure you don't want
    more.

The second conclusion is how do we decide what the individual wants in
    the requested "critique" or "comments". Trying again to not be too academic,
    i feel like critique is an invitation to engage the piece and try to understand
    what the photo is protraying; or is it just a photo? Comments would then
    be "Nice photos" or "try again".

Critique would be
    "Interesting shot- what did it look like from the left? The cheek of the subject seems to be merging with her knee. maybe softer lighting or a change in background might help?"

this is just my take on the situation. Let's not flame each other over something like this. seriously. It's a communal forum for building up others
    in the field.

yeah, it'd be great if personal comments were left out of dicussions that don't require personal comments
    anyway swingoutsister, I'm sure alot of us see your intentions but one thing I've learnt is that being negative never helps, it's better to sound positive and try to convince people by treating them with respect

when i say 'ban', of course i meant it as a figure of speech.

jeez do i really have to be that literal, and also lace my posts with sweet candies to please the peace loving, flower waving hippies here? (i guess i have a new category to add)

...for once i agree with Sion, wake up and "look beyond the facade of girls, girls, girls"
    Woah! When swingoutsister agrees with me, I start to get worried.

The facade of girls, girls and more girls is always there. We know that it will always be there. There is a large body of CSers doing it and it is an active and vocal part of CS. I don't do it but I repect their choice.

I also know there are others working on personal projects e.g. B&W fine art on the quiet side. There is a wide range of photographers here. I hope gradually I will get to know more of their works and what makes them tick.

Please don't agree with me. I am with those you've called techno geeks, pseudo-intellectuals, chikopecks, "nature" photographers etc. They have been my friends. I am afraid of you.
    Last edited by Sion; 3rd July 2005 at 11:09 PM.

so now you are telling me how to phrase my words, and tone my language and attitude next time?

yes, i can be an easy person to get along with, but when i say something, i mean it and i don't tone down.

i don't assess or judge any characters, certainly not pointing fingers at any particular individual. just saying, those are the IMPRESSIONS i form from reading such posts. you can or don't agree with me, but you don't have to defend them to the point of being a protective angel and oppose every single word i say.
    Its really amusing to see you denying what you appear to be. You don't have the resolve to change anything. You've already decided what this is going to be and you're just here to say it out loud aka bitchin'. Like I said, people like you come and go. You, at best would be part of the statistics in 3 days time.

I see your "impressions" but I fail to see how they are constructive and most importantly, contribute to your course. When it comes to voicing out your opinions, you enjoy your freedom of speech. But when you read comments you don't agree with, you've forgotten that the rest are also entitled to their freedom of speech and start to generalise them with cheap profiling. I don't see how that is helping you.

I'm not here to defend anyone. Just a bit pissed seeing someone not practising what she preaches.
    Last edited by Kit; 3rd July 2005 at 11:08 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast