Thread: 7D or a77

Default 7D or a77

help, need opinions on purchasing the 7d or a77.

this is going to be used for both portrait and sport photography (Motorsport and golf)

so i need recommendations on lenses as well.

Budget is max $3000.

Prices for bodies
    7D - $1600
    a77 - $1300

need responses asap >< because i need the camera by May 1st, and need to get used to it as well.

Default Re: 7D or a77

Both models are ancient and you can spend your money better elsewhere? Unless of course you know exactly why you want them. Which I doubt.

If you can find a minolta beercan 70-210/4 with the a77, that would be the most budget combo with decent performance.

The beercan sells for around 200-300 here in clubsnap (if there's a seller) while the closest canon equivalent (70-200/4L IS) sells for about 1k.
    hi

@silver and dw, problem is im sharing with my brother, and he is hellbent on either canon, nikon or sony..

so do you recommend anything? its for personal and sports use.

i know they are a bit old but you recommend anything else?.. i already own a 60D, but thats being used by my sister now.

or would you recommend the 70D over the 7d

The is some uncertainty over where Sony is going with their SLT and A-mount lenses since their cameras seem to be moving towards E-mount (and A-mount lens use will need an adapter, for now)
    If you are already are and have no concerns, then its a viable choice.

Both cameras are a bit long in the tooth as far as cameras go.
    However, they are certainly still well capable of taking the photos you need.

I'd suggest looking at newer cameras if you are going to spend $3K anyway.
    Try looking at the Pentax K3, Nikon D7100.
    For Canon, I think there has not been big improvements to the sensor for aps-c, so 7D with the fast AF is still a good bet if you want to stick to this brand.

Quote Originally Posted by drpessimist View Post
    or would you recommend the 70D over the 7d
    Nikon, Canon and Sony all make good cameras. I owned the 7D for a couple of years now... excellent camera and really no complain. Although it is definitely showing some ages now.

Sony A77 is a beautiful camera too, no issue there. But like the 7D... it is quite old by now.

I would definitely recommend that you looked at A7 or the newest A6000. If you are bent on Canon... then look at the 70D, its IQ is much refined as compared to the older 70D (despite what many would have said otherwise).

Other camera of the price point that you can look at is the Nikon D7100, which is excellent too.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

Nikon, Canon and Sony all make good cameras. I owned the 7D for a couple of years now... excellent camera and really no complain. Although it is definitely showing some ages now.

Sony A77 is a beautiful camera too, no issue there. But like the 7D... it is quite old by now.

I would definitely recommend that you looked at A7 or the newest A6000. If you are bent on Canon... then look at the 70D, its IQ is much refined as compared to the older 70D (despite what many would have said otherwise).

Other camera of the price point that you can look at is the Nikon D7100, which is excellent too.
    Oh yes, the a6000. It would make a very small and compact sports camera capable of fast focus and high fps. The only bad thing is the lack of telephoto lens. The 55-210 is decent in daylight. Or since ur budget allow, u can get the laea2 adapter and use the 70-300G lens.
    hi

Blog Entries

Best lens for shooting golf is Canon 200-400 on a monopod.

Some folks without the budget go for the 100-400.