Thread: Tricky Qn: Travelling w digital camera...

Question Tricky Qn: Travelling w digital camera...

Like to a simple qn:

Would you bring a digital camera when travelling to outback/countryside without electricity?

I'm talking about no elec for 2 weeks at least and my camera does only uses proprietary rechargeable battery packs.

As for the x-drive, I guess I could always bring tonnes of batteries.

I'm considering solar panels... Anyone with experience or better suggestion?

Do contribute any ideas! Thanks

I've seen solar powered chargers for AA batteries in japan.
    Just buy a few and mount them on top of your harvest sack or hat and charge while you go.

Build external battery packs for your digicam which take these AA batteries and you're set.

oh! by the way, i'm using a G2, and you know how awfully expensive extra packs are...

as for external battery packs... the charger is 9.5V 2.7A. Has anyone tried stringing 8 AA rechargeable batteries up to try before?

or you could borrow some batteries as backups from friends using Canon cameras?

and minimise battery consumption by using little of playback.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Get the OEM, cheaper and capacity is slightly higher. If I'm not wrong, should cost $45 per piece.

If you are camping for 2 weeks, how are you gonna to eat?

well... with good photos to bring home, who cares about food!

my packs last me about 1 day each, thereabouts. if i wanna go to mongolia for 2 weeks, does that mean 14 packs... $700? cannot lah...

not to mention, i'll prob wanna be gone longer...

guess it's a compromise. even if your camera can take normal AA batteries, the weight of 20-30 sets of AA batteries could be overwhelming

how about bringing a manual camera as a backup?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Encino
    Guests

Hi

I will propose a Point and Shoot camera or a SLR cos no one will be so crazy to carry more than 10 batteries for the G2. u got to take into account of the big difference in temperature cos too cold will cause shortening of battery life. No point having a good camera but no power...important thing is to capture unforgettable moments.

Hei...I am a new member. In fact, this is my first time posting.

Was searching for Mongolia's tread. Know that this tread has posted 2 years back. But just curious if Shay did make it to Mongolia with a digicam.

I tot of travelling there too.....and concerned about the batteries issue as well.

If you had any experience....please share.

Thank you...

I would rather bring a manual camera and lotsa film rather than a digicam with lotsa batteries. Cos of the limited resources, you will be shooting less discriminately. Maybe can just bring a digicam for backup and checking exposure. Then you can go there, learn about new environments and also learn to be a better photographer too.

Wonder how your trip is going to be like? If you are really going to be isolated, it's going to be a problem. I've see the solar-powered chargers in Japan too, but those like almost a whole day to charge one.....

i'm quite curious too... Shay, are you still around in CS?

BTW, i have a G2 too, and found that if the LCD is not used at all (use like a film P&S), the BP511 can last more than a week of occasional snapshots.

I brought my DSLR with a film body to Tibet recently. F.Y.I., I've 4 batteries for the ditgial body and AAs for my film body.

It really depends on your style of shooting when using DSLR -> during my stay in a small village in tibet, I assume that the DSLR is a film body, one shot hopefully one kill, dun be a trigger happy person. In addition, try to minimise the frequency of looking through the LCD. All these helps to conserve power. When all 4 batteries went flat, I switch to shooting film.

My 2 cents of input.

Thank you guys for sharing ur experience.

I am using 300D. Was very dissappointed to find out that the optional battery grib do not has slots for AA batteries.

Of course carrying a spare body (for film) is an option. But me just dont have the money spare for another body. Not to mention that I only used SLR once so far.... has no confidence.

Me damn bloody amateur.... and photography is samething very very new to me.

Think if I know there is difficulty to recharge the battery for 2 wks, I will choose to shoot with film and a manual body. Then no need to worry when the battery depletes.

Rgds.