Thread: Optimal lens set up w GX7

Default Optimal lens set up w GX7

I know there is no real "best" or "optimal" set up as it largely depends on one's needs. But still would like to gather some feedback to help my decision making.

I just bot a GX7 (w 20mm f1.7) recently. In addition, I also have the 14mm f2.5 and the 45-150mm tele-zoom lens.

When I first bot the GX7 I was quite fixated to sell away the 20mm f1.7. I had the 20mm MK1 version which I used on my old EPL5 for abt a year. I love the wide open aperture when I want to isolate my subject, but at the same time have always find that the focal length is too tight, hence I went out to purchase the 14mm which seemed to serve me fine so far.

So my golden question is should I:

(1) keep this original set up and live with no mid-range zoom;
    (2) sell away the 20mm MK2 to fund a mid-range zoom lens like 14-45 or 14-42 MK2; OR
    (3) sell away the 20mm MK2 AND 45-150mm and purchase the 14-140mm MK2 or Oly 14-150mm

Typically my use is on my kids, parties, gatherings and travel. Esp for travel, to minimise the need to swap lens is definitely a plus point but I don't normally have any need for tele-zoom lens.

For option 2 & 3, please also give me some recommendations which lens is better? I'm no PRO so pro lens are not required

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by juzluvpink75 View Post
    I know there is no real "best" or "optimal" set up as it largely depends on one's needs. But still would like to gather some feedback to help my decision making. I just bot a GX7 (w 20mm f1.7) recently. In addition, I also have the 14mm f2.5 and the 45-150mm tele-zoom lens. When I first bot the GX7 I was quite fixated to sell away the 20mm f1.7. I had the 20mm MK1 version which I used on my old EPL5 for abt a year. I love the wide open aperture when I want to isolate my subject, but at the same time have always find that the focal length is too tight, hence I went out to purchase the 14mm which seemed to serve me fine so far. So my golden question is should I: (1) keep this original set up and live with no mid-range zoom; (2) sell away the 20mm MK2 to fund a mid-range zoom lens like 14-45 or 14-42 MK2; OR (3) sell away the 20mm MK2 AND 45-150mm and purchase the 14-140mm MK2 or Oly 14-150mm Typically my use is on my kids, parties, gatherings and travel. Esp for travel, to minimise the need to swap lens is definitely a plus point but I don't normally have any need for tele-zoom lens. For option 2 & 3, please also give me some recommendations which lens is better? I'm no PRO so pro lens are not required TIA!
    I'll go a (2.5)

Sell away the 45-150mm and get a once and for all 14-140 or 14-150. U mentioned u don't like to change lenses so convenience is impt for u, u also like the performance of the 20/1.7.
    If u prefer a mid range zoom, get the 14-45mm, , not the 14-42IIR.

So u will end up with a 14/2.5 , 20/1.7 and a 14-140 or 14-150. More the enough

For days when u wana travel light : 14/2.5.

For trips ; 14-140/150 and a 20/1.7 for the duper low light situations. Keep the 14/2.5 at home.

I'm not recommending other lenses since u've already stated u r looking at these choices

If 20mm is too tight for you, I don't know what is wide anymore. Haha.

Then again, it's your preference.

But if I were you, if I were to consider a one-lens setup, I will actually sell all and get the 25mm summilux, or the cheaper olympus f/1.8 variant. 50mm equivalent ftw.
    hi

Default Re: Optimal lens set up w GX7

IMHO your current lenses are enough and you probably almost always never use the 45-150 mm lens and if so, no point getting any focal length beyond 45 mm. Hence no need to consider the 14-1xx lens. Since u have a great duo, the 14&20mm that covers a lot of your shooting conditions.

As for selling the 20 mm for a slower 14-42/45, I feel is a backward move. You will need a bright lens like a f1.7 or brighter to achieve faster shutter speed in dimmer / indoors condition especially with kids running around. Those lenses are much slower.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvs90 View Post
    IMHO your current lenses are enough and you probably almost always never use the 45-150 mm lens and if so, no point getting any focal length beyond 45 mm. Hence no need to consider the 14-1xx lens. Since u have a great duo, the 14&20mm that covers a lot of your shooting conditions.

As for selling the 20 mm for a slower 14-42/45, I feel is a backward move. You will need a bright lens like a f1.7 or brighter to achieve faster shutter speed in dimmer / indoors condition especially with kids running around. Those lenses are much slower.
    You are quite right that the 45-150 is mostly unused. Since May last year I have only used it 3 times. And I do fancy prime over zoom though I do wish for flexibility in times of limited roaming space.

Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    If 20mm is too tight for you, I don't know what is wide anymore. Haha.

Then again, it's your preference.

But if I were you, if I were to consider a one-lens setup, I will actually sell all and get the 25mm summilux, or the cheaper olympus f/1.8 variant. 50mm equivalent ftw.
    The 20mm works fine with my kids but not so when travelling as most of the time I am unable to frame in the building or group pic without standing too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post

I'll go a (2.5)

Sell away the 45-150mm and get a once and for all 14-140 or 14-150. U mentioned u don't like to change lenses so convenience is impt for u, u also like the performance of the 20/1.7.
    If u prefer a mid range zoom, get the 14-45mm, , not the 14-42IIR.

So u will end up with a 14/2.5 , 20/1.7 and a 14-140 or 14-150. More the enough

For days when u wana travel light : 14/2.5.

For trips ; 14-140/150 and a 20/1.7 for the duper low light situations. Keep the 14/2.5 at home.

I'm not recommending other lenses since u've already stated u r looking at these choices
    Thanks. Your recommendation does makes alot of sense.