Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie at a loss, pls help

Default Re: Newbie at a loss, pls help

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    You were lost... Now, after you got throught this thread, with so many suggestions, I'm dead sure you will be completely and totally lost.
    I can't agree more with u on this... getting totally lost already. Haaaa

Heres what.. RX100 II - very nice cam, but for that price i think i can get a better cam ( hence i choose the NEX-5T or so forth ) Lets drop the samsung for now. Ricoh GR - same.. way too ex. But if only i have some extra bucks to throw around, would really consider this ( love the snapshot feature!)

In fact was at funan yesterday n TK photo guy highly recommend the Olympus E-PL6. i quite like the feature where we can choose the focus pt on the screen and the cam will blur of the rest (be it the fore-ground or background, depend where u select). Yes i know you expert out there can easily achieve this effect ( haa getting defensive here ), all i am saying is that i like this feature available for viewing before i take the pic ( HEY can other cams do this too? ). Think the sony nex-5T cannot, right? One thing i dun like about the PL6 is the grip - i can't get a good grip like i can on the sony NEX.

Your thoughts on these guys? Try to keep to this topic guys.. Haaaa...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arenlam View Post

Heres what.. RX100 II - very nice cam, but for that price i think i can get a better cam ( hence i choose the NEX-5T or so forth ) Lets drop the samsung for now. Ricoh GR - same.. way too ex. But if only i have some extra bucks to throw around, would really consider this ( love the snapshot feature!)

In fact was at funan yesterday n TK photo guy highly recommend the Olympus E-PL6. i quite like the feature where we can choose the focus pt on the screen and the cam will blur of the rest (be it the fore-ground or background, depend where u select). Yes i know you expert out there can easily achieve this effect ( haa getting defensive here ), all i am saying is that i like this feature available for viewing before i take the pic ( HEY can other cams do this too? ). Think the sony nex-5T cannot, right? One thing i dun like about the PL6 is the grip - i can't get a good grip like i can on the sony NEX.

I would go for m43 cameras like EPL6 over a Sony Nex camera for travelling. Just look at the size of the lenses.

i quite like the feature where we can choose the focus pt on the screen and the cam will blur of the rest (be it the fore-ground or background, depend where u select).
    If I am not wrong... that feature is called... controlling your DOF. And yes, all camera... even my cheapo mobile phone cam, have that feature. You calculate your DOF, open or close aperture accordingly then... viola! there you go. Read up abit on DOF and you will get what I am saying.

But I do support the idea of getting an EPL6, it is an excellent camera with fast and accurate autofocus, great number of lenses available for you to pick and choose. And really easy to use (at least for me, and I have an Olympus OMD EM5).

Anyway, since you have already try the EPL6 and like the features in it, I would recommend that you get it. You would not go wrong with this cam.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Think quite a lot of new compact cams have the same feature. Most important is the grip. If u cant grip the camera properly, it is highly unlikely u can get stable photos.

So get something u can hold comfortably, especially for prolonged use

Let me attempt to help TS not be so lost

1. TS started with Sony vs Samsung. This one's straightforward - Sony.

2. Moved into recommendations of other models.
    The RX100ii stands at the top based on sensor size but TS should understand sensor size is just 1 factor in picture taking. (For example I find the handling on the RX100ii nowhere near to good but this is my personal experience)

Compact models to recommend are :
    Sony RX100ii , RX100, Canon S120 , Pana LX7 , Fuji X20 , Olympus EM10, XZ-2 or Stylus 1 with different budgets.

Each have different strengths like some have interchangeable lenses, some fixed lenses but with brighter apertures , some longer zooms / TS can start by reading up on these models You and only you will know what suits u best.

After reading and narrowing down , come back again and ask for market price before going to try the models physically then buy.

It's a fact and I'm sorry there is no perfect camera model for everyone but I'm sure there is a perfect model suited just for u TS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    If I am not wrong... that feature is called... controlling your DOF.
    If I did not read it wrong, that feature sounds more to me like "miniature mode"...

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    If I am not wrong... that feature is called... controlling your DOF. And yes, all camera... even my cheapo mobile phone cam, have that feature. You calculate your DOF, open or close aperture accordingly then... viola! there you go. Read up abit on DOF and you will get what I am saying.

But I do support the idea of getting an EPL6, it is an excellent camera with fast and accurate autofocus, great number of lenses available for you to pick and choose. And really easy to use (at least for me, and I have an Olympus OMD EM5).

Anyway, since you have already try the EPL6 and like the features in it, I would recommend that you get it. You would not go wrong with this cam.
    I have reservation with the grip on epl6. Not as sturdy as the nex5. Anyway to improve that?

TK photo ppl, in my opinion, are very pro-olympus. Maybe it's the higher profit margin, I dunno. Anyway, the blurry background stuff is either dof control (in which the nex5T or any of the larger sensor cameras can do better) or just a software stunt.

Nex5t ain't necessary a better camera than the rx100ii. The zeiss optics is better than the nex kit lenses. What u might get in a bigger sensor e.g. Better iso performance, you can achieve via a faster aperture of the zeiss lens (at least when at wide angle), but no other camera comes close in matching IQ with portability and other features that the rx100ii does, hence the price.

My vote still goes to the ricoh thou

Anyway.. in the end i bought the Panasonic GF6.

That is a good camera. Have fun with it
    My lousy shots

Panasonic produces excellent cameras at very competitive prices. Most important is you like it, you use it. Enjoy!

hey guys,
    by the way, anyone knows if there is anything out there that i can get to improve on the grip of my GF6?

hey guys,
    by the way, anyone knows if there is anything out there that i can get to improve on the grip of my GF6?
    http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Universal...cf73af2&_uhb=1

(PS. Oh... sorry... forget that GF-6 doesn't have a hotshoe... so this product cannot be use.)
    Last edited by rhino123; 18th April 2014 at 02:24 PM.
    My lousy shots

Anyway, thanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12