Thread: Lexar or Sandisk does it matter?

Default Lexar or Sandisk does it matter?

Just bought a Lexar Professional Series 1GB for my G2.. cos my Microdrive started to show signs of failing...

Is it good enough? I know the fast speed thingy won't be effective on my camera.. but a friend of mine told me Lexar is faster for Nikon, Sandisk for Canon.. is it so?

Also.. its quite a rash buy.. but then again.. Lexar or Sandisk.. does it really matter?

Enjoy your new purchase. Dun think so much since you already bought your card

tat depends on really which camera you buy, old generation does not matter, and also your shooting style, if u are those shooting like machine gun, and your camera have good buffering, then a good memory card is necessary.

Lexar have write acceleration that works for nikon newer cameras, like the D70, D70s, D2H, D2X, it have no effect on other system that dun use WA, but its already 80x so its better than those normal cards.

Sandisk Extreme III is the fastest from Sandisk, it is 133x speed, and is of course the fastest now... and also more expensive as well.

I am not a nikonian, so i dunno the speed diff between the lexar 80x vs sandisk extreme III on the nikon camera.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

A while ago, there was a report of conflicts between the Lexar 80X cards and the Canon DSLR models. The issue resulted in images being mysteriously lost from the card. Check here for more details:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05...r_80xcards.asp

Apparently, the problem hasn't been reported on the G2, so there's no worry whatsoever.

Jus curious, will it make any diff to use a 80x card and a normal card if I use oly7070?

Quote Originally Posted by kohss
    Jus curious, will it make any diff to use a 80x card and a normal card if I use oly7070?
    dunno about the oly7070, but i guess most prosumer dun really utilise the speed of the cards, due to its buffer transfer limitations. (dun take my words for it)

anyway i know that my good old F828 reads better with a microdrive than any other CF cards... which really makes me confused...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    A while ago, there was a report of conflicts between the Lexar 80X cards and the Canon DSLR models. The issue resulted in images being mysteriously lost from the card. Check here for more details:

Apparently, the problem hasn't been reported on the G2, so there's no worry whatsoever.
    But that is enough for me. Never a Lexar again!

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by fWord

adui.... jialat. cos i do plan to get a Canon DSLR...

if u already got a LEXAR card, then think the best u can do is to visit convergent to update the firm ware on the card and then go canon and update the firmware too...

No much different if the warranty is the same. I do know that Sandisk Ultra cards have life time warranty here in SG.

Cheers and happy shooting.

lexar too is a life time warranty

It does matter to certain people....

For example, you use a Extreme III vs a Microdrive on a D2x, then you can tell the difference when you are shooting in RAW.

But if you are shooting in JPGs, then what matters most is the buffer that is available on the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Swakoo
    Just bought a Lexar Professional Series 1GB for my G2.. cos my Microdrive started to show signs of failing...

Is it good enough? I know the fast speed thingy won't be effective on my camera.. but a friend of mine told me Lexar is faster for Nikon, Sandisk for Canon.. is it so?

Also.. its quite a rash buy.. but then again.. Lexar or Sandisk.. does it really matter?
    i am curious
    what do you mean by show signs of failing? how is it getting funky?

Quote Originally Posted by Swakoo
    adui.... jialat. cos i do plan to get a Canon DSLR...
    But again, I thought that Lexar was offering a firmware update that would fix this issue...if not refund you the cost of your card. I'm using Lexar 512 MB cards with my 350D, and thought that I did have a problem with images disappearing at one point of time, but I can't really confirm that. Besides, the ones I have are not the professional ones...they're just plain.

just dont buy whatever u dont feel safe to buy

ie if u are still worried about the lexar issue with 20d then buy sandisk

if u dont care about lexar affecting u then buy lexar

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei
    No much different if the warranty is the same. I do know that Sandisk Ultra cards have life time warranty here in SG.

Cheers and happy shooting.

Lifetime? Hmm Lexar also ah? The lady at MS told me, its one year... so who do I verify with should I have a problem? Mine is the one with write acceleration

i am curious
    what do you mean by show signs of failing? how is it getting funky?
    Oh well, i started getting CF card error while shooting pictures.. and also.. the card has been with me since year 2002 so I more or less expected it lah

though it is still funcitoning 99% of the time, I didn't want to be stuck in an important occasion when it fails totally. 3 years of usage.. not bad liao lah heh

Guys,
    I went to convergent.. don see any firmware for the lexar ones... any advise?
    It doesn't affect me (the disapperaing shots) cos i using G2.. but its gonna be a concern. Is it a big problem for most of you?

price wise, sandisk or lexar should be about the same ba?

Also one queer thing is, on my microdrive, my G2 can hit 511 shots... (though usually it ends up as more depending how i take) but on this lexar.. only 492.. both 1GB thought should be the same?