Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the iBook G4 a good buy?

Deregistered

Yup it's a plastic that covers the keyboard eg : http://www.swexpress.com/home.nsf/0/...d+Cover+(blank) Get the translucent ones will be easier to see what you type.

Recommended is 512MB RAM at least, if you can, go higher! I upgraded to 768MB.

Upgrade is possible on the iBook, like change larger HDD and adding BT. But not cheap

If you're worried about breakdown, you can purchase Apple Care for iBook, sykestang has lobang for Apple Care iBook, pm him

Haha....I've got questions for every additional piece o finformation you provide so I'd better stop

In summary, I guess for a start, the pre-existing iBook G4 package is good enough, yah?

Thanks!!

Deregistered

Well, as mentioned, if it's just a notebook for u to be on the go and simple word editing etc, it's more than sufficient

Quote Originally Posted by TRiShnDaisy
    Haha....I've got questions for every additional piece o finformation you provide so I'd better stop

In summary, I guess for a start, the pre-existing iBook G4 package is good enough, yah?

Thanks!!
    Good enough - but remember to up the RAM. It's worth it.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by tkkoh
    Good enough - but remember to up the RAM. It's worth it.
    Yup, 2nd that.

Good enough. Highly recommend upgrading the RAM upfront to 1GB if you can spare the cash....and that 1GB would really go a long way in helping you enjoy your iBook more. But as espn & the others have mentioned already, do up the RAM by at least another 512MB (but I advocate 1GB...significant difference).

Cheers...Nizz

Deregistered

Urm. iBook can only go 256MB, 512MB 768MB and 1.25GB. You can't up to 1GB unless you can find 1 piece of RAM that's 768MB in size

Quote Originally Posted by Nizz
    Good enough. Highly recommend upgrading the RAM upfront to 1GB if you can spare the cash....and that 1GB would really go a long way in helping you enjoy your iBook more. But as espn & the others have mentioned already, do up the RAM by at least another 512MB (but I advocate 1GB...significant difference).

Cheers...Nizz
    Big diff on RAM PRICES!!

512MB = $160-$180

1GB = $450-$500

So getting 1GB RAM is not worth it unless you have the bucks to burn.

Trish, get the iBook if you are using for presentation and surfing the net. The 12inch can't do much help if you are using it for process photos. CS2 (The new version of Photoshop) sucks up plenty of memory and it's SUPER SLOW. Other applications such Nikon Viewer and Capture also sucks up plenty of memory.

If you want to do post processing, get at least a Powerbook 15inch add on 512RAM.

Good luck on your purchase and welcome to the MAC world if you are purchase of MAC!

Aww....such sound and practical advice from my big brothers in here

Yes, I'll prob consider the 512 upgrade. Thanks, Pro, for the quotes.

Is the 12 inch really that bad? Then again, the kind of editing I do is probably far from that which you do...haha! Will check out the real thing at Funan soon!

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Do note that upon arrival it's only 17GB free space (estimated), so 30GB might be a bit daunting if you use it for editing etc. So if you intend for a larger HDD and bluetooth, do build-to-order instead.
    actually cheaper if u buy a 80GB yourself, and pay $70 for apple service center to change for u

then the 30GB can use as portable hard disk, just need to get a firewire/usb casing

btw, unlike powerbook, u cannnot change ibook hard disk yourself or u will void warranty

i just changed mine to a 80GB 5400rpm with 8MB cache + 1.25GB RAM..so much smoother esp if u run tiger

Last edited by Wai; 30th June 2005 at 06:32 PM.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by TRiShnDaisy
    Aww....such sound and practical advice from my big brothers in here

Yes, I'll prob consider the 512 upgrade. Thanks, Pro, for the quotes.

Is the 12 inch really that bad? Then again, the kind of editing I do is probably far from that which you do...haha! Will check out the real thing at Funan soon!
    Nope, it's not the 12" or 14", it's the difference between Powerbook and iBook

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    actually cheaper if u buy a 80GB yourself, and pay $70 for apple service center to change for u

then the 30GB can use as portable hard disk, just need to get a firewire/usb casing

btw, unlike powerbook, u cannnot change ibook hard disk yourself or u will void warranty

i just changed mine to a 80GB 5400rpm with 8MB cache + 1.25GB RAM..so much smoother esp if u run tiger
    That's only the installation of hardware, they don't gaurantee if the system is trouble free from problems leh. Else I'd have plugged in a 100GB into my PB.

For iBook and PB AFAIK, don't think we can change the HDD ourselves.

Tiger's running fine on 768 for now, but not for long

For iBook and PB AFAIK, don't think we can change the HDD ourselves.
    for PB, here are the hardware that u can do-it-yourself upgrade, including hard drive

http://www.apple.com/support/powerbo...yourself/15ti/
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

No, but first of all Value for $ maybe, but then how much. Also your needs ? according to my spec then NO!. Ram not enought and tiny HD, 1.2 too slow etc....

I do my PS work on my iBook, but that is because I can approximate the difference in viewing colours in my mind after having worked with PS for 7 years now.It takes some time to get used to it, and you can get a close approximation for colour output in the iBook and prints.

Please upgrade the RAM to at least 768MB if you want to do editing.

Other than that, it is one smooth machine that has me converted to a Mac addict for life, and the PC has become a mere gaming platform.

Either build to order or buy it stock , upgrade the RAM and get external DVD burners and HDD.

Cross over and learn the truth
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz

Either build to order or buy it stock , upgrade the RAM and get external DVD burners and HDD.

Cross over and learn the truth
    any external dvd burner to recommend? can iDVD works with ext dvd burner? heard that iDVD only works with superdrive.

Deregistered

for PB, here are the hardware that u can do-it-yourself upgrade, including hard drive

Wow, kewl, will upgrade my PB very soon

Quote Originally Posted by tkkoh
    any external dvd burner to recommend? can iDVD works with ext dvd burner? heard that iDVD only works with superdrive.
    in iLife 05, external dvd burners are supported (but not all models)

Urm. iBook can only go 256MB, 512MB 768MB and 1.25GB. You can't up to 1GB unless you can find 1 piece of RAM that's 768MB in size
    Ooops...my bad. I forgot that the ibook has a fixed 256mb RAM. Thx for the reminder.

Cheers...Nizz

Deregistered

In case you realised that's for 15" PB. I'm using 12" PB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast