Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheat case: What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by HeWolf
    If your friend paid via credit card, and (hopefully) the fund transfer hasn't gone thru, can still ask the bank to void the transaction.
    From my experience.. bank will tell you to resolve it with the merchant.. not their problem..

$300 lens sold for $1,300?!! A real sucker. "Haha..".
    What kind of lens that looks like $300 but can make people pay $1,300 for it? Limited edition, or some big-shots used it before?

Anyway, go to CASE. Else go to the Small Claims Tiberal, if CASE can't assist. My best bet is at least get back the difference between the SIGMA recommnded retail price and the price your friend paid for.

Default Retail strategy

Some sales may usually have some "con" job like :

Consumer : How much is the Canon EF 50mm f1.4?
    salesman : Oh it is $300.

Consumer : Wow, that is cheap.
    Salesman : Why get Canon EF 50mm f1.4? You should try the lates Sigma version. Very good review and good handling. Everyone is using it now. No one use the canon anymore.

Consumer : Can I have a look?
    Salesman : Sure, it is now going at a sale of $500 (actually cost only $250)

So consumer without having a chance to do any review and price compare just buy the sigma lens and later found out he is cheated. Why because they feel that the canon lens the shop is selling is cheaper then most other shop, so the sigma that they are selling should be cheaper.

Hope not many people will be "con" this way. Stick with what you want to buy and not get suayed by salesman. Do your research. If change mind half way, do research again.

Quote Originally Posted by perly
    y not? there was a case in the news with foreign students and a private school a few months back, and the authorities were called in for action....

sad to say, foreigners seem to have better support in cases like this, where locals get only CASE....
    Maybe because they care more about SG IMAGE outside rather than the real topic: cheating, no matter if it is against foreigners or Singaporeans........

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76
    Your fatalistic "like that wan, what to do" attitude is exactly the reason these people continue to do what they do
    Ok, assume you manage to nail this shop down and have them punished (somehow), what has changed? The rest of these unscrupulous merchants will continue to thrive and prosper in this magnificent shopping haven called Singapore. What to do? This is Singapore leh.

vince123123
    Guests

Perhaps as word of this 'nailing' gets around, the rest of these unscrupulous merchants may pause to consider before cheating others? Or as more of such incidents abound, public pressure may inspire the authorities to come up with more regulations/certification/remedies for consumers?

I concur with gymrat76.

Quote Originally Posted by sfhuang
    Ok, assume you manage to nail this shop down and have them punished (somehow), what has changed? The rest of these unscrupulous merchants will continue to thrive and prosper in this magnificent shopping haven called Singapore. What to do? This is Singapore leh.

What to do? This is Singapore leh.
    Exactly, this is Singapore, your home and the home of your children and of your family and friends. Our home is what we make it to be. If we don't fight this battle to bring these unscrupulous people to heel, then who will?

Agree with vince123123, authority should workout measures to enforce 'fair trading' on them.

A bit OT here but..

Do you think our government should do nothing about the terrorist? Assume govt manage to nail one down and punished. What the change? (like you've said) There are many others around the world continue to do bombing, kidnapping and other terrorist activities.

If govt share 'your fatalistic "like that wan, what to do" attitude' (quote from Gymrat76). The counter terrorist plans/education/training/installation would not have take place.

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan
    Hmm....looks like a familiar case...

I have such experience with a shop in Funan.....and cant believe they are still doing this....but mine not that much delta lah...

rgds,
    sulhan
    Is that the Bestca* that someone else was talking about in another posting??
    Last edited by billpepsi; 30th June 2005 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclesiasm
    Bought a SIGMA lens for $1300. Found out later that elsewhere was selling for only about $300. He went back to the shop to ask for a refund. Was given the "boss not around,
    Wait hang on, which Sigma lens is selling for $300? IIRC Tamron's lenses are going for $500+ and above.

Just curious, what was your friend thinking at the shop when this Sigma lens cost around the same as a Canon "L" 17-40mm.
    Last edited by billpepsi; 30th June 2005 at 03:12 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

Which other posting? post the link here?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    Is that the Bestca* that someone else was talking about in another posting??

Well, this is a result of people wanting things cheap. Price tag over service.

Tried shopping for an item in Australia, walked into 10 shops and 10 shops were selling it at the SAME price...no such thing as undercutting. Consider yourself lucky that in Singapore, you can get photographic stuffs cheaper because of these kind of competition.

Unscrupulous merchants thrive because of the cheapo / typical ai-pi-ai-cee mentality of buyers, don't you think so?

My 2cents:
    If I was in your shoes, I would demand for a full refund of the item bought.

If that is not possible, then politely but firmly inform the boss that I will bring the matter to the attention of the S'pore Tourist Promotion Board, and the press (New Paper, Today).

While STPB cannot really take action directly against the shop, they will (and have) blacklisted such dishonest dealers in their publications. The Press might be interested to take up the story as there's quite a lot of tourists in town now (the IOC thing).

Last resort is to name the shop and produce copies of the receipt on the internet. I don't think they can sue you for defamation as you are relating a true life event.

Good luck with resolving this.

Quote Originally Posted by deslim27
    Agree with vince123123, authority should workout measures to enforce 'fair trading' on them.
    I remain sceptical any gahmen agency will step in to enforce this. Anyway I've said my views - and am quite surprised it received so many comments from righteous Singaporeans. Good luck anyway. Peace.

My suggestion, just take back S$700, S$300 is paid for the lesson not doing proper research before shopping. Expose the bad shop here in CS. If CS members avoid the shop, it'll be many times loss than the S$300 he made from you. Lets ClubSnap do the justice

Since this guy has already paid that amount of the lens, it shows he was able to afford that amount. So his course of action will depend on his intent.

If it is to get as much money back so to get a 'better deal', then he should just settle, perhaps bargain a little more, and walk away with as much as he can get.

On the other hand, if his intention is to bring this shop to justice or to protect other unsuspecting consumers; then he should go the the authorities mentioned in this thread eg Small claims tribunal (preferable since the only charge $10 as opposed to $35 for CASE should they take the case) or CASE.
    For more info on these two entities, visit http://www.smallclaims.gov.sg or http://www.case.org.sg. But he should do this with the full knowledge that he might not see a single dollar returned.

Alternatively, he could join CASE as a member for $25 and consult with them on his chances and then proceed as advised, ie. continue with mediation or get the cash and run!

Do note that with most shops that have been blacklisted, they can always change their name for just $30 (if I am not mistaken) to the registrar of companies.

If mediation doesn't work, the courses of action as mentioned by some members here, like publicising on Forums etc can always be taken.
    Just REMEMBER....keep yourself on the right side of the law. You don't want to find yourself on the ugly side of a defamatory suit .

Oh! and above all, ask him to cheer up. At the very least, he can consider this a verrry valuable lesson.

Cheers!

vince123123
    Guests

Well it takes many drops to form an ocean.

Incidentally enough, the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act was a result of a push from CASE resulting from an observable increase in the number of errant traders and unfair practices.

The Fair Trading Bill (as discussed in the Hansard) also noted that:

"This is because while some particularly offensive practices like cheating or intimidation are prohibited under our criminal laws, many errant sales tactics, such as bait advertising, misrepresentation, and hard selling, are not clearly covered by any of our existing laws. In 2001, a joint private and public taskforce, co-led by CASE and MTI, was formed to study this issue. In 2002, the Government accepted the recommendation of the taskforce to enact a Fair Trading Act"

The Minister of State for Trade and Industry (Mr Raymond Lim Siang Keat) had this to say in response to debates on the Bill:

Finally, Mr Speaker, I would like to assure Members that we do not regard this as a once-off exercise. As several Members have said yesterday and today, this is the starting point. We want to kick-start it, we want to get it moving and we have taken an evolving approach on consumer protection. For us, it is a continuous learning exercise. As some of you know, MTI, at the beginning, had reservations on this Bill but by working closely with CASE and other associations, we have a better understanding of it. So it is a continuous learning process for us. We will monitor developments and make whatever adjustments that are necessary as things develop.

Hence, you never know, but your case may be a drop which contributes to the ocean.

I remain sceptical any gahmen agency will step in to enforce this. Anyway I've said my views - and am quite surprised it received so many comments from righteous Singaporeans. Good luck anyway. Peace.

You consider it "righteous" for wanting to have honest and fair business practices? Strange... I've always regarded it as a basic right for consumers to not have to keep wondering if the shop keeper is trying to rip you off behind that wide smile of his...

Which shop is it? As I am going to get camera soon. Hope that I will not get chop vegetable head

Bestscam is probably the only store in funan who would pull something like that off.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast