Thread: opening event photography business

Default opening event photography business

Hey Guys,
    I though i would ask this question here: I'm originally from Europe and working here nearly a year ago for a very good company, however I recently had the opportunity to open a business. Here is the deal: there is a global event photography company who is not yet present in Singapore and I could be introducing it locally. Now the questions are:
    1, this would be a frenchise business, therefore i'm sure a local company would needed to be set up
    2, as i'm an EP pass holder, would i need an entrepass in order to do so? Or applying to be PR? Or could i just simply apply for the Sole-Proprietorship?
    3, would this affect my current EP?
    Many many thanks for your advises.
    R

1. Yup since you are essentially a separate legal entity from the global company.

2. Entrepass should only be those who have gotten approval from EDB or are receiving funding under some special scheme. More info is available via Google.

You would however need at least a Singapore citizen or PR to be one of the company directors as far as I can recall.

3. Im not sure about that but the problem to me would be whether you are contravening the terms of your current employment such that your employer can cancel your EP.

Default Re: opening event photography business

All your questions can be found from these three sites, feel free to contact them if you need any clarifications.

Registering your business with the Government is one of the first steps you need to take once you have decided to start your business.

http://www.enterpriseone.gov.sg/en/B...oreigners.aspx

http://www.acra.gov.sg/

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpow...s/default.aspx
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

thanks a lot! I've actually browsed through these sites but didn't really get answers for these questions. Richiemccaw1 - sounds good, this was my plan also to involve a local person in the management, so thats not an issue. My employer wouldn't cancel my EP because of this as its a totally different line of business so would not interfere with code of conduct. Thanks again, any more info very welcome!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Csizmazia View Post
    thanks a lot! I've actually browsed through these sites but didn't really get answers for these questions. Richiemccaw1 - sounds good, this was my plan also to involve a local person in the management, so thats not an issue. My employer wouldn't cancel my EP because of this as its a totally different line of business so would not interfere with code of conduct. Thanks again, any more info very welcome!
    You will need to clear it with your company and ICA. Since your being here in Singapore is only for the employment stipulated in your EP. You are not allowed to hold any other positions, or participate in the ownership of any company without the written permission of both ICA and your employer.

Best you check with ICA and your employer.

thank you MrDevil