Thread: Crocodile eye above water line

Default Crocodile eye above water line

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Do you think i should crop the picture and focus more on the croc's eye? Picture isn't cropped or edited at all. Was the picture taken properly?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A sense of danger. The croc's entire body save for it's eyes and part of the head is above water so it looks well disguised. Something like the fin of the shark that appeared above the waterline in the movie jaws and the music of danger that played whenever its fin showed

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

The croc was inside a glass enclosure and you can see it's entire body below the waterline. I didn't take the picture of the rest of its body but decided to just focus on its head and eyes above the waterline. There was obviously a glass blocking me from the subject and the glass does reflect a lot of light i think it would have been better if there wasn't a glass between my lens and the subject but that isn't possible obviously.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I think i did capture the sneakiness of the crocodile here. In the wild when you are riding in a boat or let's say its prey maybe a land mammal like a cow for example is drinking water by the river it is quite hard to spot them and then it's too late because they will strike and bite the victim. I zoomed in unto the subject and it took a while for me to spot it on my screen. I think it really is well camoflaged because if this were in the wild i doubt most people or animals would notice it until it's too late.

I think the image is quite underexposed if the crocodile is your intended main subject.

Framing wise 3 points,
    - the plants steal the attention as they are the brightest spots in the image. (However, yhere is also a possibility that this was an intentional thing if you are trying to play up the idea of a camouflage)

- you could crop to fill the frame with the croc instead

- the background of the croc (the log) is of the same colour as the croc and almost in line with the croc, so much so that the croc and the log look like they are merged. You could raise the camera slightly to create a separation btwn the croc and the log.

Default Re: Crocodile eye above water line

Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    I think the image is quite underexposed if the crocodile is your intended main subject.

Framing wise 3 points,
    - the plants steal the attention as they are the brightest spots in the image. (However, yhere is also a possibility that this was an intentional thing if you are trying to play up the idea of a camouflage)

- you could crop to fill the frame with the croc instead

- the background of the croc (the log) is of the same colour as the croc and almost in line with the croc, so much so that the croc and the log look like they are merged. You could raise the camera slightly to create a separation btwn the croc and the log.

I see thank you for the pointers. For the leaves lighting wise it reflected more light compared to the croc's head but can always adjust it using gimp or another similar tool.

Yes cropping would ensure the croc's head shows up more in the picture.

I will keep that in mind if i want to take a similar picture by making sure there is a distinction with the main subject and the horizontal lining of a log.

Thank you for your pointers and comments.

Looks Natgeo-ish *thumbs up*
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

Quote Originally Posted by user12343 View Post
    Looks Natgeo-ish *thumbs up*
    Thanks for the compliment.

the rule of thirds might help here to focus attention on the croc, along with some adjustments to the levels and colour.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    the rule of thirds might help here to focus attention on the croc, along with some adjustments to the levels and colour.

Thanks for your pointer. Yes i feel cropping the image helps since the focus is even more on the croc.

Pardon me for my comment but the enhancements you made does the make the picture look more lively but in my opinion it looks "fake" like it was heavily processed.

Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    Pardon me for my comment but the enhancements you made does the make the picture look more lively but in my opinion it looks "fake" like it was heavily processed.
    I must admit that I am quite partial to the Velvia look, which may not be everyone's cup of tea.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    I see thank you for the pointers. For the leaves lighting wise it reflected more light compared to the croc's head but can always adjust it using gimp or another similar tool.
    take note of it and do these in advance so that you may showcase your best work or best effort in critique corner in future.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Deregistered

I like the velvia look.
    Imho, should crop in tighter on the croc.
    That will make it look even more menacing.

try to get close/zoom closer and wait till the crocodile makes eye contact before snapping.
    Eye contact and body posture is important when shooting live subjects. In this case the crocodile is moving away

Quote Originally Posted by jazzper View Post
    try to get close/zoom closer and wait till the crocodile makes eye contact before snapping.
    Eye contact and body posture is important when shooting live subjects. In this case the crocodile is moving away
    Understand but can be hard to achieve the croc was not moving away but you know totally still in the water. Reptiles like crocs can just be still for long periods of time can see them on land with their mouths agape for hours even.

TS should start a thread in APAD thread and hopefully with more practice will continue to get better.

you can take a look here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    TS should start a thread in APAD thread and hopefully with more practice will continue to get better.

you can take a look here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191
    ya, hv been following Keith's apad. beautiful pics he has

Deregistered

love varf's apad too. very unique

Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    ya, hv been following Keith's apad. beautiful pics he has
    thank u

I'm not an expert, just giving some opinions.

The picture is too dark, some details are lost. If you look at the levels histogram, it's on the left side. Even if you want the picture to be of the darker mood, get the levels closer to the center, then adjust it later. You will get more details from the photo. Your camera should be able to display the histogram of the picture after you take the first shot, check and adjust.

Composition. Getting closer to your subject is the general rule of thumb for shooting animals. However, from what you say, you want the crocodile to be camouflaged in its habitat. So in my opinion, I would think your 'zoomness' is fine but as beginners we should try to stick to the 1/3 rule. As this is a shot with water, you can also try to play around with half of the picture in water.

Same zoomness as yours but I shifted the croc to adhere to 1/3 rule. (pic's right side is filled in with photoshop)
    Levels adjusts, sharpness adjusted, green saturation reduced. Note that it is adjusted from a dark low res pic so it's not going to look optimal. I edited the pic only to show you what I'm saying.