Thread: Crop Factor: Why you multiply the aperture by the crop factor when comparing lenses

Default Crop Factor: Why you multiply the aperture by the crop factor when comparing lenses

Just sharing with everyone. When we 'calculate' the 35mm-equivalent focal length for APSC cameras, we usually multiply the focal length by it's crop factor. But we often forget about the equivalent aperture value.

Example:
    50mm F1.8 lens on a Canon APSC camera is actually:
    1.6 (crop factor) x 50mm = 80mm, 1.6 (crop factor) x F1.8 = F2.88 [on a full frame camera].

Hope everyone find this useful.

Default Re: Crop Factor: Why you multiply the aperture by the crop factor when comparing lens

I am pretty sure you don't just multiply the F stop value by crop factor, based on an app I downloaded.

It is true that you will have greater DOF (and reduced DOF control) with smaller sensor size of course, that is a well known fact.

Default Re: Crop Factor: Why you multiply the aperture by the crop factor when comparing lens

if my exposure on crop f8 and 1/100
    will I have same shutter on FF using f8
    shoot same things and same lighting conditions
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

If one use a 50mm on FF to shoot a scene, and then use a crop with the same lens to shoot the same scene, he will need to move backwards in order to get approximate the same field of view. Because u move back, the distance between camera n point of focus is increased, hence less DOF.

Exposure will still be the same, assuming the scene is uniformly illuminated.

To get the same dof as the 50mm (e.g at f/1.8) on the crop camera, the 50mm on the FF will have to move forward (to get same dof) and stop down the aperture by a factor of the crop factor, to get same dof (but reduced exposure). Everything is approximate values, but works well most of the times.

Hope this helps.
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    if my exposure on crop f8 and 1/100
    will I have same shutter on FF using f8
    shoot same things and same lighting conditions
    Yes with same ISO.

U never heard before full frame can achieve shallower depth of field? How come shallower? Because the aperture is bigger
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    U never heard before full frame can achieve shallower depth of field? How come shallower? Because the aperture is bigger
    Erm, you seem to be saying that:

Full frame (sensor size) can achieve shallower depth of field because aperture (lens characteristic) is bigger.

It's more of crop frame sensors taking a "crop" from the centre of the image circle.. Nothing to do with aperture size. FF and CF, same aperture, FF still have shallower DOF.

Quote Originally Posted by konmin View Post
    Just sharing with everyone. When we 'calculate' the 35mm-equivalent focal length for APSC cameras, we usually multiply the focal length by it's crop factor. But we often forget about the equivalent aperture value.

Example:
    50mm F1.8 lens on a Canon APSC camera is actually:
    1.6 (crop factor) x 50mm = 80mm, 1.6 (crop factor) x F1.8 = F2.88 [on a full frame camera].

Hope everyone find this useful.
    quite illuminating for a newbie like me. never knew about this