Thread: Rates for Architectural Shots

Default Rates for Architectural Shots

Hi, do anyone here have experience on rates to charge for architectural shots to be used on company websites?

Per photo shot, what are the reasonable rates (firstly I am not a professional shooter) but still able to take good shots so will not charge those standard rates in the market but slightly lower.

Any tips advice?
    Just keep shooting

Default Re: Rates for Architectural Shots

Quote Originally Posted by Joshelerry View Post
    Hi, do anyone here have experience on rates to charge for architectural shots to be used on company websites?

Per photo shot, what are the reasonable rates (firstly I am not a professional shooter) but still able to take good shots so will not charge those standard rates in the market but slightly lower.

Any tips advice?
    Just curious about this..... why do you think you have to charge lower just because you are not doing it for a living? I'm assuming you are competent enough to handle the assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Just curious about this..... why do you think you have to charge lower just because you are not doing it for a living? I'm assuming you are competent enough to handle the assignment.
    Hi sure can take photos as per required by customer, no worries... just because since I'm not pro and also this will be my 1st time getting "paid" for photography so was a little more apprehensive on rates of course.

But anyway how does one normally charge? The fact that I will need to "travel locally" (carparks, erps, petrols) and taking mostly shots in evening period at different places...
    Just keep shooting

If you have read the thread I linked, you should be able to work out something.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshelerry View Post
    Hi sure can take photos as per required by customer, no worries... just because since I'm not pro and also this will be my 1st time getting "paid" for photography so was a little more apprehensive on rates of course.

But anyway how does one normally charge? The fact that I will need to "travel locally" (carparks, erps, petrols) and taking mostly shots in evening period at different places...
    You should an idea what is your "Over Time" rate of your day job, so the bare minimum is your wages (per hour, on site and off site), + fixed expense (your gears, hardware, software, up keeping, maintenance and etc) + variable expenses (food, transports materials etc) + a profit that you like to make = how much you should charge

on top of this rate, than you add a premium (you think you deserve it as you think you are so much better than the other guy).

everyone have work out their own rate, as this tie with their lifestyle, their skills, their self worth, so copying the rate from another photographers is not realistic as not everyone expecting the same and deliver the same.
    it is just like copy answers from another student during exam, if a student don't study for the exam, he won't know are the answers he copied correct. in the end regardless passed or failed, he learn noting.

I have a feeling that the customers tell you this shoot is very straight forward, usually this can explains two things;

either they have no idea of the basic technical requirement of architectural photography, (come on, taking photos of building does not equal to architectural photography)

or they don't willing to pay much for the project.

why I say so? cause we ever see $2 architectural photography before........

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1121187

so if you just want a easy way out to get back to customers about this job, just ask them how much their budget is and say "Can Do" or " "Can Not".

hope this help.
    Last edited by catchlights; 31st March 2014 at 04:06 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

You can perhaps start at around $250 per photo.

Remember all these are consider work done and tax upon your time and efforts; corresponding for quotation, TnC, and shoot briefing and research, travel/fuel, actual shoot, possible gear rental costs, post production, possible re-edits to suit difficult clients, delivery, time spend on chasing payment. 1 hour on site shoot could mean 10 hours total work hours. After all these factored in, you will see $250 is actually a very meagre amount considering the current cost of living.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket