Thread: Servicing DSLR

Default Servicing DSLR

Hi my canon dslr is now almost 2 years old... Do i need to send to canon for servicing? ... Also how about the lens.. How long do we need to send to servicing, not a pro so usage is avg once/twice a week.
    Just keep shooting

Default Re: Servicing DSLR

If there's nothing wrong with the camera, why do you need to send it in?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Well, you can always drop in CSC & ask for a check up. You may not know if there is any thing wrong with it.

The tech will check through your cam, usually they will recommend a cleaning. Which usually will involve cleaning of the mirror box area, the reflex mirror, focus screen & sensor.

If they detect other minor faults such minor focusing issues they will recommend a focus adjustment & calibration as well.

Usually they will also upgrade the firmware if its applicable.

They will go through the same check & recommendation routine with the lens.

if it aint broke, then you're looking for trouble sending it for svc. If no issue, they'll prob check and tell you it's working fine go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshelerry View Post
    Hi my canon dslr is now almost 2 years old... Do i need to send to canon for servicing? ... Also how about the lens.. How long do we need to send to servicing, not a pro so usage is avg once/twice a week.
    There is no preventive or regular servicing similar to cars or other machines. The standard activities are described in your manual: blowing off dust, clean the outside. Based on your usage patters it's unlikely that you will reach the maximum life time of the shutter anywhere soon. So relax and shoot.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    There is no preventive or regular servicing similar to cars or other machines. The standard activities are described in your manual: blowing off dust, clean the outside. Based on your usage patters it's unlikely that you will reach the maximum life time of the shutter anywhere soon. So relax and shoot.
    Btw, if ever the shutter reach it's lifespan … is there still a way to revamp the camera? That is send to service center to change the shutter system for example?
    Just keep shooting

Base on current technology advancement, u will change ur cam before its spoilt .. so u r worrying too much for that cheap cheap piece of equipment.

Btw, if ever the shutter reach it's lifespan … is there still a way to revamp the camera? That is send to service center to change the shutter system for example?
    Yes, this is possible. But not in eternity. At a certain point (not sure when) the Service Center will no longer service old cameras. My Canon EOS 5 (film camera) is no longer supported.
    EOS

Btw, if ever the shutter reach it's lifespan is there still a way to revamp the camera? That is send to service center to change the shutter system for example?
    You change shutter only when it broke.

but like Octarine said, some products will not be serviceable as they stop producing it spare parts.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

why worry about shutter broke anyway? for 100k shutter counts, you need to shoot 100 frames per day for close to three years non stop.

by that time you already fully utilise your camera, just simply write it off, or buy a used camera might be even cost effective than replace the shutter on a old camera body.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio