Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

  1. #1

    Default Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    You know like sub consciously you see a new member that is new to photography and he shows his pictures will you just think that they are bad pictures simply because he is new?

    You know human psychology is quite funny like the placebo effect where someone thinks he is eating real medicine and his brain makes his body well because of that.

    I think this is a legitimate question.

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    You know like sub consciously you see a new member that is new to photography and he shows his pictures will you just think that they are bad pictures simply because he is new?

    You know human psychology is quite funny like the placebo effect where someone thinks he is eating real medicine and his brain makes his body well because of that.

    I think this is a legitimate question.
    No. Bad pictures are bad pictures, irregardless of who made them, oldie or newbie.

    But there is a tendency for photographers to think too highly of their own work.

    Even when I take a look at my older work, I also think they really suck. But that means I am improving, because my standards are now higher.

    If you can remove yourself from the emotional attachment to your own pictures, and be your own harshest critic, you will improve very fast and go very far.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 25th March 2014 at 09:02 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Singapore when back at home
    Posts
    813

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    No. Bad pictures are bad pictures, irregardless of who made them, oldie or newbie.

    But there is a tendency for photographers to think too highly of their own work.

    Even when I take a look at my older work, I also think they really suck. But that means I am improving, because my standards are now higher.

    If you can remove yourself from the emotional attachment to your own pictures, and be your own harshest critic, you will improve very fast and go very far.
    I definitely concur with DD123 on this.

    I am my own worst & hardest critic.

    Photography as in any hobby or profession needs honing. Review your shots and learn.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    I'll never critic a photo based on a photographer, but I will on what his photo tells me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member richiemccaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,101

    Default

    It is fair to feel a little defensive when being criticised, whether constructively or not. The important thing to do to improve is to take it in your stride! Thick skin and humility go a long way )

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Singapore when back at home
    Posts
    813

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    "Thick skin and humility go a long way"

  7. #7

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    You know like sub consciously you see a new member that is new to photography and he shows his pictures will you just think that they are bad pictures simply because he is new?

    You know human psychology is quite funny like the placebo effect where someone thinks he is eating real medicine and his brain makes his body well because of that.

    I think this is a legitimate question.
    dont think its legitimate.

    because i think i have never heard a "newbie" being honestly good at anything. not only for photography.

    i mean, do you see someone who is learning soccer telling the coach "hey im new, but i am good, i dont need training. i am ready to play for the national team"? dont think so. talent is talent, but it still needs to be nurtured.

    i guess the point of TS posting this "might be" because that his photos has been badly critiqued for the past few days. not sure if posting randomly helped with this situation or not, but honestly, nobody is good in taking photos in a few weeks or even days. if it is so easy, people wouldnt be paying so much to buy images, hire photographers for weddings and events etc.

  8. #8
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiosaki View Post
    i guess the point of TS posting this "might be" because that his photos has been badly critiqued for the past few days.
    If that is really the case, then he should just say on his threads that critiques are not welcomed.

    Anyway, I think I will stop commenting on his pictures. Seeing how sensitive he is, so I do not hurt his feelings.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 25th March 2014 at 09:56 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Totally agree with daredevil123's first post. I don't think the people here are biased at all. Not biased against the experience of the photographer nor the equipment used.

    Im relatively new to photography and every other shot I take looks like a winner to me. But once the others critique it, I often see how it can be improved. I think this is really important when it comes to helping yourself improve.

    I would like to take the opportunity to add a couple of things too...

    I've been reading with great interest ( and commenting where appropriate ) your posts. I think you feel that the photos you have taken are really good as well. And yet, when you receive critique(which you actually have asked for) I don't see you accept the critique and attempt to modify your shots and least try out the advice of the others. I mean, if you are really interested in the point of view of others, you would give heed to the advice offered and give it a shot. Isn't that right?

    But I must say that the multitude of responses that you have received everytime you put up a post is very heartening to see. And I myself am relearning a lot from your posts and the advice you are receiving. It's like a refresher and reminder of the dos and donts. Thanks for adding value to the community with your posts and questions. And I'm proud to be a part of a forum where everyone is so ready to offer advice and constructive criticism. Good job ClubSnap!!!

    One last thing though, you leave many threads hanging. Meaning to say that often times, you ask a question and just let the responses come in and you do not attempt to acknowledge or engage the person who responds to your thread. I feel that it would be nice if you do attempt to at least acknowledge the person who responds.
    Last edited by NormanSelvaraju; 25th March 2014 at 09:53 PM.

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    You know like sub consciously you see a new member that is new to photography and he shows his pictures will you just think that they are bad pictures simply because he is new?

    You know human psychology is quite funny like the placebo effect where someone thinks he is eating real medicine and his brain makes his body well because of that.

    I think this is a legitimate question.
    bad photos are bad photos, regardless is shot by who.

    when a day I start thinking my photos re really "no horse run", and people don't appreciate my "art", that is the day I stop learning and improving
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #11
    Senior Member alwaysjerricky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    +65
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    Hmm I don't think so. Do not agree at all. So many new members nowadays who have great pics but just created an account at CS to share their pictures.

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiosaki View Post
    dont think its legitimate.

    because i think i have never heard a "newbie" being honestly good at anything. not only for photography.

    i mean, do you see someone who is learning soccer telling the coach "hey im new, but i am good, i dont need training. i am ready to play for the national team"? dont think so. talent is talent, but it still needs to be nurtured.

    i guess the point of TS posting this "might be" because that his photos has been badly critiqued for the past few days. not sure if posting randomly helped with this situation or not, but honestly, nobody is good in taking photos in a few weeks or even days. if it is so easy, people wouldnt be paying so much to buy images, hire photographers for weddings and events etc.

    if any members shooting, post processing and posting images without putting much efforts, please don't expect others also putting much efforts in return on commenting their photos.

    that is reciprocate factors.

    In fact, it is quite encouraging to see some members kind enough pointing the right direction to TS, however, how much can a person comprehend, that is really depends on him.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #13
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    You know like sub consciously you see a new member that is new to photography and he shows his pictures will you just think that they are bad pictures simply because he is new?

    You know human psychology is quite funny like the placebo effect where someone thinks he is eating real medicine and his brain makes his body well because of that.

    I think this is a legitimate question.
    What make you say that? Are you guilty of what you says?

    From what I see, in this forum, most (if not all) older members, new members, experts, seniors, etc are all very helpful in my photography journey. I am by far one of the lousiest photographer here (actually I am not even qualify to be a photographer, just a casual shooter), and when I post my pics up, people are friendly and pointed out my mistakes and let me learn.

    If you re that sensitive to what others are saying... then I think you should not even post any photos up or ask any questions... Of course there are people here who are a bit more blunt than the others and what they say can be a bit harsh, but if only you take a while to think of what he/she had said, most actually made alot of sense.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  14. #14

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    You know like sub consciously you see a new member that is new to photography and he shows his pictures will you just think that they are bad pictures simply because he is new?
    Yes, of course! And when I see a senior member that is super experienced with photography, and he shows his pictures, I will think they are good pictures simply because he is experienced. I'm a slave to my subconscious mind and it always overrides all my other faculties (eyes, brain, etc.), and knowledge (logic, memories, experience, etc.)
    Last edited by kandinsky; 25th March 2014 at 11:21 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,614

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Perhaps TS had never tasted the critics of Deadpoet ,short and sharp. For me I always
    remind myself 'am still learning'
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

  16. #16

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    Perhaps TS had never tasted the critics of Deadpoet ,short and sharp. For me I always
    remind myself 'am still learning'
    deadpoet praised my newbie photo leh. that was one of the things that inspired to take more photos, the feeling that your photo meant something to people other than yourself.

  17. #17
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Erm maybe u all might wanna see his thread of sentosa cove. I think many people have tried advising him but out comes one thanks plus truckload of excuses.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    Erm maybe u all might wanna see his thread of sentosa cove. I think many people have tried advising him but out comes one thanks plus truckload of excuses.
    I noticed that too.
    Be it experienced or not, we learn from one another.

  19. #19
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Are you bias towards newbies pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    You know like sub consciously you see a new member that is new to photography and he shows his pictures will you just think that they are bad pictures simply because he is new?

    You know human psychology is quite funny like the placebo effect where someone thinks he is eating real medicine and his brain makes his body well because of that.

    I think this is a legitimate question.
    The final picture speaks louder than any words. Regardless of age, experience etc.

    In short, if the picture is bad, it's bad.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  20. #20
    Member Aikiway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    on the east side of Singapore
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    You know like sub consciously you see a new member that is new to photography and he shows his pictures will you just think that they are bad pictures simply because he is new?

    You know human psychology is quite funny like the placebo effect where someone thinks he is eating real medicine and his brain makes his body well because of that.

    I think this is a legitimate question.
    Don't agree. It's more due to the style of criticism here that makes people think otherwise. Remember when u ask for feedback, you can get all sorts of feedback. It's up to you to be impartial and try to see from your critics pov. There is no real point in asking for criticism and see red when the critics go negative.
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •