Thread: How do you focus on something behind a cage/fence?

Default How do you focus on something behind a cage/fence?

You know something is behind say a cage and the camera focuses on the cage instead of the object

First pic came out like this. Using autofocus

Kept on clicking on the focus getting camera to focus again and again and finally managed to get a clear shot. Took a few tries.

I couldn't do the same for every shot though. Seems like it was a random occurance. Actually if i need to refocus camera for every shot i take of birds behind the cages it would take a long time.

Default Re: How do you focus on something behind a cage/fence?

2 ways you could try..
    1. Manual focus
    2. Press your lens as close to the cage/fence as possible (like your 2nd image, just that you focused on the log rather than the parrots)
    Last edited by Dura77; 24th March 2014 at 11:33 PM.

Switch off autofocus n use manual.. auto focus hits the nearest high contrast point...
    Last edited by CasualBear; 24th March 2014 at 11:07 PM.
    Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos..~ ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    You know something is behind say a cage and the camera focuses on the cage instead of the object

First pic came out like this. Using autofocus

Kept on clicking on the focus getting camera to focus again and again and finally managed to get a clear shot. Took a few tries.

I couldn't do the same for every shot though. Seems like it was a random occurance. Actually if i need to refocus camera for every shot i take of birds behind the cages it would take a long time.

1.I would advise you to switch to center-point focus only; im assuming that you are letting the camera pick the af points for you.
    2.use a telephoto lens and ensure that the subject is some distance away from the cage
    3.use as wide an aperture as possible
    4.using the center point, focus on the object and the cage will magically "disappear"

Following picture is for example only; in no way am i saying it is good(disclaimer lol)
    Name:  1888591_10152029187086243_872150398_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  50.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dura77 View Post
    2 ways you could try..
    1. Manual focus
    2. Press your lens as close to the cage/fence as possible (like your 2nd image, just that you focused on the log rather than the parrots)

For the 2nd shot it was zoomed in. The parrots were quite high up so will putting lens close to the cage help since i will be standing quite far below.

Yes that would help. In general, you would want the fence to be of a closer distance than your camera lens' closest focusing distance. So it would be ideal to have the lens as close to the fence as possible.. Also, like theloneranger said, using a wider aperture would make the fence "disappear' in your photos. And the more telephoto the better. But the safest way to get your shots in focus is still manual focus..
    Last edited by Dura77; 25th March 2014 at 01:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Use single point focus. And using a tele focal length helps.

use AF-A or AF-S & single point focus, then choose the focus point manually

Try to move as close to the cage as possible(but do not scare the birds).
    if the focus still hunts,switch to manual focus.
    this way u can get the birds in focus and melts the foreground cage away.

Manual Focus is the best way if you don't trust the camera AF system, or else you can set your AF point and set the point on the bird and let the camera focus for you

im always a MF guy..

this on m4/3rd with Helios 44M.

Read abit on this thread... and up till now... I still don't know what camera is TS using? We can go on and on on techniques to use, but without knowing what he is actually using... all is for naught. Afterall... if he is using his Samsung Note... don't think there is a manual focus capability for the camera.

So to summarize for TS,

1) Take your time to compose and frame your shot

2) Think of what you want to accomplish instead of go around trigger happy, then blame your equipment at not being good.

3) Use manual focusing if you have that capability.

4) Push your camera as close to the fence as possible, even if it mean resting the camera on the fence or cage.

5) Don't give excuses that you are taking the photo in a rush, no time to change setting and whatsnot, if that is the case, no one can help you. You will just have to live with that.

6) Try to find a subject... a single subject, instead of trying to be greedy and get everything in the scene down... because it will only make your photo messy and... well... ugly.

7) Shoot in RAW mode, set your white balance to AUTO, then change and update that in post processing... (that is if your equipment allowed for it).

8) If your equipment don't allow for it... still set your white balance to AUTO. At least you would not have the funny blue or orange cast. The WB will not be the most accurate, but for a starter, they will usually do the trick.

9) Don't worry about noises... set your ISO up so you can get a decent shutter speed... that is also one reason I say shoot in RAW if possible... you can remove some noises when doing PP. If your camera is really noisy at high ISO... I would suggest you wait till you have better lighting... always bear in mind... it is not a criminal offense that you didn't take any photo at all at any day.

10) It is better to have one single great photo then one thousand lousy photos.

11) When and as you choose post your photo up in this forum or any other forum, there will be critics... some harsh and some gentle. DON'T BE DEFENSIVE. Read carefully what the critics wrote, think about what they say... some might be talking nonsense, some are purposely giving out false information, but most people are decent and most wanted to help. Don't give excuses... nobody is interested in your excuses, we tell you want we feel, what can be done to improve and that's it. We are not interested in your grandmother story, your life story... your whatever story... a bad photo is a bad photo.
    Last edited by rhino123; 28th March 2014 at 09:25 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Read abit on this thread... and up till now... I still don't know what camera is TS using? We can go on and on on techniques to use, but without knowing what he is actually using... all is for naught. Afterall... if he is using his Samsung Note... don't think there is a manual focus capability for the camera.
    TS mentioned he is using a QX100 in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS mentioned he is using a QX100 in another thread.
    Yeah... but he also mentioned that he used his Samsung Note in the birdpark
    My lousy shots

Actually the issue TS mentioned is very common among beginners it's ok, just learn how to overcome it.

1. The most effective way is to learn how to combine AF with MF. I use AFS-MF mode, with the MF to fine tune.

2. Use a single focus point, most cameras allow u to change this.

3. If your camera allows touch screen AF, this is almost idiot proof

Have fun shooting

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Yeah... but he also mentioned that he used his Samsung Note in the birdpark
    no la that pic taken with the qx100 with the note i don't think it can even focus i just move the smaller lens in between the cage.

Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    no la that pic taken with the qx100 with the note i don't think it can even focus i just move the smaller lens in between the cage.
    Want to bet? I have seen people done it. And seen their work. You have lots to learn and try, don't just dismiss something immediately.
    My lousy shots