Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Learning Golf

  1. #21
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: learning Golf

    Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    Callaway golf equipment is never sold in complete set. They are always sold separately in pieces like iron set, individual woods, wedges, putter and bag. So, if you manage to get a full Callaway set that is almost new, I am 99% sure that it is an imitation/copy set from PRC. Go to the Callaway web site to check if it's genuine.

    The risk of injury to you and other is very high if the shaft or the glue give way. So, got to be careful.

    Safer to get some cheap set from Carrefour or when there is a sale by Transview or Panwest, etc.
    Have been playing with the set for more than 8 months and it's still working very well, only that I had to change the grips. Previous owner was in a hurry to sell as he was migrating overseas so that explains the cheap price...
    eat. drink. shoot

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: learning Golf

    Quote Originally Posted by plsoong
    where?

    i used to play almost every week when i was in australia - melbourne

    dirt cheap and no need PC card golf courses got trams go thru somemore.

    so far the best course i went to was this club championship course at cape shank near mornington peninsula.

    rented a graphite titliest (or however it spells lar) FULL set and buddy buggy for total of AUD$30+ and $7 for green fees

    went thru 18 holes with a terrible score, but the green overlooks the oceans and gawd, holes were going at long par 5s...........
    up hill and down hills...

    i remember one particular hole, distance to hole looks about 300ish...so quite short. but its a par 5

    tee off is top of a hill then a valley and putting greens on the next crest and surrounded by slopes down to the valley again. only 2 small bunkers can stop your ball from rolling down that blardy hill.

    double bogeyed that blardy hole..........

    now come back, sianz 1/2 coz in SG, need to have PC ?
    I am thinking of learning either at Orchid Country Club (OCC) near Yishun or Asian Golf Academy (near Sin Ming, on Marymount Road).

    In SG, almost all courses need PC. I think only the executive course at mandai (9holes) and the one at tanglin (near old cmpb) (7 holes) no need PC. but of course, without PC still can play in JB and batam, bintan etc....

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    391

    Default Re: learning Golf

    Well, if you folks wanna learn from a good coach(IMHO) let me know...My coach is pretty good and dedicated with his coaching.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: learning Golf

    Quote Originally Posted by wynx
    Well, if you folks wanna learn from a good coach(IMHO) let me know...My coach is pretty good and dedicated with his coaching.
    which coach is it and how's the charges like? Care to share?

  5. #25

    Default Re: learning Golf

    I am also currently learning how to play golf properly. I'm learning at the Bukit Batok CDANS range. My coach is quite good (Mr.Law - PGA certified instructor) . Balls at the range there are going for $8 for 100 balls.
    Currently using a secondhand set loaned from one of my friends. Told me when I'm more consistant, then I'll go get a set of clubs of my own - otherwise its a waste of $$ because as a beginner I may not really know what clubs are suitable for me & my swings.
    If I'm getting, I thought of getting reasonably priced customised clubs - no need to be branded ones lah.... (You will be surprised that there are some reasonably priced customised clubs. I think its better than buying off the rack)

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sin-Ka-Por
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: learning Golf

    I am currently learning my golf at Bishan Asian Golf Academy. My instructor is James Tan. If you go to the range and look at their notice boards, you should be able to find his "handsome" face there. There are about 8 certified coaches at Bishan Asian Golf Academy.

    If you are really serious of picking up the game, then you should go for 1-to-1 coaching. If just wanted to learn and try out the sport(like me), then it would be better if you can find a few friends to learn together to lower the course fee. I am taking the Beginners' course with 5 other friends and each paying $270 for the 10 lessons course.

    Range balls at Bishan range is $1.50 (Before 12pm), $2.00 (12pm - 6pm) & $3.00 (after 6pm) for 50 balls. So, normally I would go before 6pm and buy 150 - 200 balls and wack the hell out of them.

  7. #27

    Default Re: learning Golf

    Quote Originally Posted by LugeRider
    I am currently learning my golf at Bishan Asian Golf Academy. My instructor is James Tan. If you go to the range and look at their notice boards, you should be able to find his "handsome" face there. There are about 8 certified coaches at Bishan Asian Golf Academy.

    If you are really serious of picking up the game, then you should go for 1-to-1 coaching. If just wanted to learn and try out the sport(like me), then it would be better if you can find a few friends to learn together to lower the course fee. I am taking the Beginners' course with 5 other friends and each paying $270 for the 10 lessons course.

    Range balls at Bishan range is $1.50 (Before 12pm), $2.00 (12pm - 6pm) & $3.00 (after 6pm) for 50 balls. So, normally I would go before 6pm and buy 150 - 200 balls and wack the hell out of them.
    Wow.. the range balls are difinitely cheap there... Where is it? I wanna go there to practice...Is it open to public?
    Another friend and I are paying $300 each for 7 lessons including (PC test). Are the prices applicable for weekends & public holidays too?
    Last edited by tush; 24th November 2005 at 02:58 PM.

  8. #28

    Default Re: learning Golf

    For wkends and public hols, the range balls cost $3.00 (after 6pm) for 50 balls. It can get pretty croawded during peak hours.

    FYI, there are big black boards distance markers at the range for you to 'aim' at (to practice your accuracy).

    Enjoy youself.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sin-Ka-Por
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: learning Golf

    Quote Originally Posted by tush
    Wow.. the range balls are difinitely cheap there... Where is it? I wanna go there to practice...Is it open to public?
    Another friend and I are paying $300 each for 7 lessons including (PC test). Are the prices applicable for weekends & public holidays too?
    Hi, its at Bishan Golf Range, junction of Marymount Road and Sin Ming Avenue.
    For weekend, as what Tiger........Woods said, its $3.00 for 50 balls and will be crowded.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Catchment Area
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: learning Golf

    Quote Originally Posted by tush
    I am also currently learning how to play golf properly. I'm learning at the Bukit Batok CDANS range. My coach is quite good (Mr.Law - PGA certified instructor) . Balls at the range there are going for $8 for 100 balls.
    Currently using a secondhand set loaned from one of my friends. Told me when I'm more consistant, then I'll go get a set of clubs of my own - otherwise its a waste of $$ because as a beginner I may not really know what clubs are suitable for me & my swings.
    If I'm getting, I thought of getting reasonably priced customised clubs - no need to be branded ones lah.... (You will be surprised that there are some reasonably priced customised clubs. I think its better than buying off the rack)
    Customised clubs? Well, 98% or thereabout golfers get off-the-shelf set. Unless you're very short, very tall, very fat or very weak or very Old, or got very peculiar anatomy or rather physique, there is no point in getting clubs to fit you. If you have problem, it might more be your swing, or any other reason. Then, fitted set might not be better.

    Today, the only known make that believes in fitting is PING. Just look around the driving ranges and the golf courses - I can hardly see any one using Ping. Does that tell you something about this crazy thing called fitting? IMO, Ping is Passe.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Learning Golf

    how about some locally assembled clubs?

    http://www.yujigolf.com.sg/index.asp

    one thing though. if you are just starting out, you dont really need a full set of club. a half set should do just fine. that should reduce the initial outlay somewhat..

  12. #32

    Default Re: Learning Golf

    If u r just starting out, u can get a new inexpensive decent set of irons or if u dun mind some 2nd hand stuff to get u moving in the right directions.

    MOST impt, is not how gd is your set when u start out (I'd seen guys owning Honma & can't even swing properly), but how gd is your swing. Like wat many bros have adviced, get proper coaching and practice, practice, pratice. If u r not sure, a gd coach can recommend a decent set based on your physique and swing speed. U will have the BBB virus, trust me. IF opprtunity arise, do try other people's or frens' clubs to get a feel. U will know later that not all clubs are made equal!! In the initial phase, your swing may change around till you find wat works for you.

    Only once you have swing comfortably and consistently, only then will customised clubs give you more added benefit.

    Hope that helps.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Learning Golf

    thanks guys for the info... Btw, if i take a bus and alight at the junction for Bishan Golf Academy, is it very far to walk?

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    391

    Default Re: Learning Golf

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32
    thanks guys for the info... Btw, if i take a bus and alight at the junction for Bishan Golf Academy, is it very far to walk?

    Just across the road lar..

    Within walkin' distance for me..

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Learning Golf

    thanks Wynx... i may go there maybe this weekend or next...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •