Thread: What you think of these pics?

Default What you think of these pics?

Default Re: What you think of these pics?

Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post

1st photo, good colour. Since the serving plate looks nice, I will shift the camera lower to take whole of the serving plate and tilt the camera angle higher to include more of the soup in the photo and remove those distracting item behind.

2nd photo, yellow cast can be seen on the bread, may want to adjust your wb before taking and same distracting item behind especially the pink hp and bottle at the top right corner.

3rd photo, what is the item you want to show in this photo?

Keep shooting and hope to see more

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    1st photo, good colour. Since the serving plate looks nice, I will shift the camera lower to take whole of the serving plate and tilt the camera angle higher to include more of the soup in the photo and remove those distracting item behind.

2nd photo, yellow cast can be seen on the bread, may want to adjust your wb before taking and same distracting item behind especially the pink hp and bottle at the top right corner.

3rd photo, what is the item you want to show in this photo?

Keep shooting and hope to see more

Thanks for pointers. The bread is really yellowish in color the wb isn't off. It looks like cake but it really is yellow bread. I wanted to show the salad
    Last edited by jones24; 20th March 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks for pointers. The bread is really yellowish in color the wb isn't off. It looks like cake but it really is yellow bread. I wanted to show the salad

oh ok, anyway I will set the wb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post

oh ok, anyway I will set the wb like this.

hi thanks now the bread looks more white but well now it doesn't really look like what i saw. The bread was really more yellowish in color i wish i had taken it with another cam.

hi thanks now the bread looks more white but well now it doesn't really look like what i saw. The bread was really more yellowish in color i wish i had taken it with another cam.
    Really depends on what you want to achieve with your photos, if it's just for your own viewing or share on FB then it's ok

If you want to put up your photos for critique then I'll concur with ntheni that the photo is too yellow. May I suggest you take a look at his food thread and I'm sure you will learn at lot. You may also need to calibrate your monitor to get accurate colours

Hi, if you want your food photos to looked as what you seen on the table then you don't have to change anything. I changed the wb based on the butter dish, which was why your bread still looked a bit yellowish because it was not white in colour. My suggestion on the wb is based on how to make the food looks more appetizing. But on some cases the food do need to be a bit more warm to looks appetizing.

You may want to google "Food photography tips" to learn some pointer if you're interested in this.

Taken with another camera won't change anything, your camera is perfectly fine. Just that you need to know what you want to show in your photo

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    Really depends on what you want to achieve with your photos, if it's just for your own viewing or share on FB then it's ok

If you want to put up your photos for critique then I'll concur with ntheni that the photo is too yellow. May I suggest you take a look at his food thread and I'm sure you will learn at lot. You may also need to calibrate your monitor to get accurate colours
    Agreed and thanks
    Last edited by ntheni; 21st March 2014 at 09:24 AM.

Hi. Like some mentioned here,
    taking the picture with another cam wont change anything. Your camera is perfectly fine and has/have alot of potential.

Explore more on the limitation of the camera (if any to you). Work around those area.

Read and watch more photography tutorial.

I am not a pro in food photography but maybe let me share my personal preference.

1) WB, I usually take the white dishes / plates as a benchmark and adjust WB until the white portion is really white. You may see the bread as more yellowish because of the lighting in the venue, the real colour of the bread may not be that colour.

Apart from the WB, I think your composition may need more work. Personally I prefer:
    1) Minimise distracting factors. E.g. In photo 1, I see lots of background stuff on the table which aren't the focus. Photo 2 I see ppl's arms.

2) Some interesting parts get cut off. E.g. In photo 1, the tray that serves the food is actually quite pretty and can be used as a prop for your photo. However it was cut off.

3) The angle of your shot. Personally I may prefer upclose image of the food to see the interesting stuff such as the colours or texture. In photo 1, the photo seems to be taken from an angle to your right. Probably taking right in front of it would make it better or add a little tilt for some 'dynamics'.

4) If there are too many things on the plate, such as photo 3, I propose you take an item individually rather than cram them up in a single photo which looks 'over crowded'. If there are three items then an interesting way is to take each item individually and form a "triptych photo".

Lastly, taking interesting photos outside in the midst of a meal is very challenging because of limited space and setup. Hence personally I tend to take them upclose. I don't need to see the entire bowl of food to know what it is, maybe 1/2 a bowl will suffice.

Hope to see more food photos here.

looks good ^^