Thread: Help with tripod recommendations...

Default Help with tripod recommendations...

Hi guys... I'm looking for a replacement tripod and I really would appreciate some recommendations. I don't know where to start looking for so I turned here.

I've searched around the web, and I'm really liking the Manfrotto Neotec Pro Photo. I'm really sold by the clip-free/twist-free kind of mechanism, and changing the neck of the tripod from vertical to horizontal shooting position (I think only Manfrotto does this...), which means I can go really low.

However, I also really like those tripod without necks as I can go low really easily by just adjusting the legs.

I shoot mostly landscapes, which means I will be in contact with seawater pretty often. I use a 5DIII with my heaviest lens being 70-200 f/2.8.

All in all, I have a budget of $700. I currently have a Manfrotto ball head which has been serving me well for the past couple of years so I don't think I need that.

Default Re: Help with tripod recommendations...

Quote Originally Posted by mardellion View Post
    Hi guys... I'm looking for a replacement tripod and I really would appreciate some recommendations. I don't know where to start looking for so I turned here.

I've searched around the web, and I'm really liking the Manfrotto Neotec Pro Photo. I'm really sold by the clip-free/twist-free kind of mechanism, and changing the neck of the tripod from vertical to horizontal shooting position (I think only Manfrotto does this...), which means I can go really low.

However, I also really like those tripod without necks as I can go low really easily by just adjusting the legs.

I shoot mostly landscapes, which means I will be in contact with seawater pretty often. I use a 5DIII with my heaviest lens being 70-200 f/2.8.

All in all, I have a budget of $700. I currently have a Manfrotto ball head which has been serving me well for the past couple of years so I don't think I need that.

Look here,
    Basic guidelines on selection of tripod and tripod head

to look for some existing discussion threads in Others section, it is very simply to use the forum search engine,
    use advance search,
    Search keyword: "tripod",
    Search "in Titles only"
    Search in "others" forum
    Find threads in at least "10 replies" or more
    Find post "Any date" and "Older"

you will able to find many useful information about recommendations, stores, price etc.

you can also check out review section for tripod reviews.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

IMHO, Neotec mechanisms are very prone to failure. Used a Neotec monopod before with the same mechanism and it did not last too long. You mentioned you will be using it near or in the ocean a lot. I really wish you good luck if you go the neotec route.

My recommendation is to go for twist locks, because none of the mechanism is metal (for CF tripods) so you have no fear of corrosion. And they are easily disassembled for cleaning out any sand. salt or junk from the tripod.

For tripods without center columns, the best out there is the systematic tripods from Gitzo. There are similar "copies" around as well, check out sirui R3xxx or R4xxx series.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th March 2014 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Look here,
    Basic guidelines on selection of tripod and tripod head

to look for some existing discussion threads in Others section, it is very simply to use the forum search engine,
    use advance search,
    Search keyword: "tripod",
    Search "in Titles only"
    Search in "others" forum
    Find threads in at least "10 replies" or more
    Find post "Any date" and "Older"

you will able to find many useful information about recommendations, stores, price etc.

you can also check out review section for tripod reviews.
    Sorry about it, and thanks for providing the link

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    IMHO, Neotec mechanisms are very prone to failure. Used a Neotec monopod before with the same mechanism and it did not last too long. You mentioned you will be using it near or in the ocean a lot. I really wish you good luck if you go the neotec route.

My recommendation is to go for twist locks, because none of the mechanism is metal (for CF tripods) so you have no fear of corrosion. And they are easily disassembled for cleaning out any sand. salt or junk from the tripod.

For tripods without center columns, the best out there is the systematic tripods from Gitzo. There are similar "copies" around as well, check out sirui R3xxx or R4xxx series.
    Thank you for the heads up and recommendations daredevil. I actually came to know about the Neotec through here, which he actually showed it in waters.

So, am I right to say most CF won't corrode?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mardellion View Post
    Thank you for the heads up and recommendations daredevil. I actually came to know about the Neotec through here, which he actually showed it in waters.

So, am I right to say most CF won't corrode?
    Metals corrode with salt. CF is made from composite polymer material.

Blog Entries

BTW, sometimes it is wise to google up the tripods you are interested in and look at the problems some are facing. That might give you an indication on how the tripod will hold up...

Here is one source:
    http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-458B.../dp/B0002TKGZS

Personally, I wouldn't bother to waste any time or money with this model.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 17th March 2014 at 01:20 PM.

Blog Entries

And if you are looking for a tripod with a adjustable angle center column, some of the ones you should consider are:

1. Gitzo Explorer - gives you multiple angles not just vertical or horizontal

2. Manfrotto 055xProB - large solid but heavy. Carbon version is slightly lighter but a lot more expensive.

The rest are pretty much not worth looking at.