Thread: WiFi SD card experience - I have some questions

Default WiFi SD card experience - I have some questions

Lately I've been looking at WiFi SD cards (these are SD memory cards with built in WiFi- you can take photos via normal camera and they send the photo to your -usually- smart phone so you can view and share straight away) and have some questions which I haven't seen answered from online reviews. I was hoping some forum readers here might have some experience and could answer them.

- Does the smart phone and camera automatically reconnect when turned on and off? My usual practice for using them are- smartphone is on until battery dies, but camera is only turned on when taking photo, and I turn it off straight away after I've finished taking the photos- battery conservation.

- When I turn the camera back on, Will the WiFi card automatically reupload photos which have not been uploaded yet at the time I turned the camera off?

- Might sound silly, but can photos taken from one brand of camera be viewed in a smartphone of a different brand? I've noticed that when I took a photo on my Olympus EM-5 and swopped the micro sd card to my mobile phone, not only could I NOT view that photo, but when I tapped the "gallery" icon, only half the albums opened to be visible.
    Samsung Galaxay S4 Zoom, Pentax MX-1,Olympus OM-D EM-5 (wet weather camera), Pentax X-5

Default Re: WiFi SD card experience - I have some questions

got a Toshiba wifi card 32gb recently..

and this is my take.

i was using android to the wifi card.
    so it does reconnect back to the wifi card when the one before(say my house wifi) is not available.

it automatically uploads(from what i see) . good thing is it shows u the photos u have downloaded. so u no need redownload. heh.

for the 3rd i have not tried.

overall great experience using it..will get another for my fuji soon.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm thinking of getting one now. Pity- I just bought x2 32gb class 10 micro SD with SD adaptors thinking I could swop between normal camera and mobile photo. Took photos with EM-5 and when I swopped it to my mobile, the creation of the Olympus folder in the memory card somehow made half my photos unreadable to the mobile. Will use those memory cards for soemthing else
    Samsung Galaxay S4 Zoom, Pentax MX-1,Olympus OM-D EM-5 (wet weather camera), Pentax X-5

You are better off transferring the photos from ur camera manually to phone (via PC or OTG cable) than using the mSD way or wifi SD cards.

In my opinion, wifi SD cards have no future as most cameras from late 2012 onwards already incorporated wifi transfer capabilities in their cameras, rendering such cards obsolete. While ur em5 ain't an old camera, you might want to look into upgrading some time soon, if u deem the wifi transfer essential for your shooting style.
    hi

I have the toshiba 32gb wifi sd card, it's relatively slow to transfer data that way and need to connect manually. I stop using the card and plug directly to my PC to transfer images.

strange..i connect my x100/XE1 to my android..seems better than plugging in to com..

oh well...works fine for me though..