Thread: Unfilled warranty: some things to take note of

Exclamation Unfilled warranty: some things to take note of

First off, I'm just posting for the sake of sharing information. I really have no intention of causing anybody any trouble.

With regards to 2nd-hand sales of equipment with "unfilled warranty", take note that some particular companies do not insist on an official receipt (with purchase date), but SOME DO. I found this out for myself when I sent in a camera for repair. It was a 2nd-hand piece, unfilled warranty. As I did not know exactly how old the camera was, I fudged a purchase date on the warranty card (I tried to make it as convincing as possible - 10 months prior). I had no official receipt, but it didn't matter to them because they tracked where and when the camera was purchased and we found out it that the warranty had already expired by 2 months.

Some other companies do not require official receipts, and are less fussy about how old you say your camera is, but they also do often have a clause that gives them the right to reject your warranty w/o reason.

In short, read all the terms and conditions on your warranty certificate!
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Care to share with us which co. did you send you camera to?

It was a Nikon.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Hi, I am also quite concern about this. If I keep receipt and unfilled warranty for 10 months, will they entertain also? Like will they say i did not mail in warranty within 14 days, so they reject my warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by clicknick
    Hi, I am also quite concern about this. If I keep receipt and unfilled warranty for 10 months, will they entertain also? Like will they say i did not mail in warranty within 14 days, so they reject my warranty?

Depends on your luck.. But there's still a good chance they will honour it.. At least you've got an official receipt..

The way Canon works, at least in my experience, is that the dealer sends Canon the purchase date of the particular piece of equipment together with the serial no. So when you head down to the service centre, the Canon staff can just key in your serial no. and they know exactly when it was bought and hence if warranty remains. They don't check your warranty card.
    Don't know about Nikon.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    With regards to 2nd-hand sales of equipment with "unfilled warranty", take note that some particular companies do not insist on an official receipt (with purchase date), but SOME DO.
    I'm kind of out of the topic of cameras here, *please excuse me*

This applies to those handphone dealers who are selling phones with the so called "unfilled warranty" ? Or export sets?

Olympus and fujifilm also require proof of receipt

Sorry, pardon me if I am wrong. I thought when the seller said it was unfilled warranty meaning that the customer's copy was unfilled while the manufacturer's copy was sent to service centre right? I thought this is the way for the customer's copy to be unfilled so it looked better without your data on the copy in case if you sell your gears and hand the copy to the buyer the next time.

Fuji don't charge for service and labour unless it's a big overhual job. I ever brought my old fuji cam (waaay over warranty) down complaining the sensor was faulty. They checked and found nothing wrong. Cleaned up a bit for me.. and returned it back FOC.

This warranty thingy is really very company policy and customer service policy dependant.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

i guess the only reason of checking the receipt, is merely for the date. and that would save them the trouble of finding out the real purchase date of your equipment.

im curious here because i never noticed shops noting down the serial number of my purchases when buying (at least at cp). further i noticed some shops tend to mention with a certain "knowing expression", that the warranty card is intentionally left empty.

wouldnt this extra "benefit" turn out to be worthless?