Thread: Suggestions for Laptop for a Photographer?

Question Suggestions for Laptop for a Photographer?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop! As a photographer, there are a few things I'm looking for. Hope some of you will be able to give me advice! I'm going to start off by saying that I am not looking for a mac. I'm looking for a PC, because I'm an engineer also, and I need a Windows machine to run a variety of software.

I do a variety of photog work (Lightroom, Photoshop), as well as Video work (Premiere).

Here's what I'd like to have:

1. Nice Screen! I don't need fancy super high res screens or touch screens. Full HD is ok for me, but the screen must be nice. I know Apple has the best screens in the industry and I really wished that more PC makers put these nice screens into their laptops. So >= Full HD, glossy, good colour.

2. There are a bunch of beautiful 13" laptops around, but given that I do a lot of work on my laptop, I'd like at least a 14", preferably a 15" screen.

3. Powerful. Haswell processor. 8 to 16GB RAM if possible.

That's all I guess. I'd prefer if it was one of those slim ultrabooks, but they seem to be few of them in the >13" area. Battery life is not supercritical for me, since when I'm doing intense processing, I'd much rather be using a powercord anyway. I'm also open to completely different ideas or suggestions!

What do you think?

Default Re: Suggestions for Laptop for a Photographer?

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 carbon would be a good choice.
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Sad to say, color-accurate mobile workstations are quite rare. But if you really favor good displays, HP ZBook with optional DreamColor display for accurate color reproduction, but won't come cheap.

I'm getting myself a new laptop. An Asus R409LD which comes as part of a bundle when I upgraded my home broadband package. At $35 for two years it works out to $840

8gb ram
    Nvidia geforce 820m with 2gb dedicated ram
    14 inch TFT LED 1366x768
    2.1kg with battery

I think that this is a good buy. Worth the price.

One question though. User12342 said that laptops don't usually display colours accurately. I have a data colour spyder (basic). Will using that get me the accurate colours?
    Last edited by NormanSelvaraju; 16th March 2014 at 12:22 PM.

No harm trying to calibrate to get closest match. Chances are all the required adjustments will be made in the graphics adapter control panel software and that's about it.
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! The Lenovo looks like a nice machine, but I also found other possible options such as the Dell M3800 / XPS 15, HP Spectre series, as well as the Razerblade laptops. Those are a bit expensive though. What sort of laptops do you all use besides Macbooks?