Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions

  1. #1
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Samsung NX30 - First Impressions

    I was invited to Samsung Forum 2014 to try out the NX30 in the beautiful island of Bali



    The NX30 coupled with the also newly launched 16-50 OIS lens

    also on display are the full range of lenses, here are a few of the more interesting lenses that caught my eye








    and more

    firstly the key features of the Samsung NX30
    • Advanced Hybrid AF & 20.3MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
    • 1/8000Sec. Shutter Speed
    • Built-in NFC and Wifi
    • pull-out, tilting EVF
    Last edited by ortega; 12th March 2014 at 04:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions



    other accessories for their camera

    The camera felt good in the hand with a better grip than the previous model, especially useful is the a pull-out, tilting EVF that with gives you new angles to shoot from.
    AF Response was quick and accurate.



    this shot was taken with my eye off the camera and solely relaying on the AF and as you can see it locked on the face. BTW she is a priest from one of the temples and was blessing us with water from the jar. I just put the camera and took the shot.

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions

    overall i feel that this is the most enthusiast-oriented camera yet, together with some software trickery it made shooting with it a joy.
    Lets see what it can do









    Kuta Beach
    Last edited by ortega; 13th March 2014 at 12:10 AM.

  4. #4
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions









    this was taken with the kit lens and surprisingly easy to get a shallow depth of field

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions







    considering the tricky light situation, the result is quite nice


  6. #6
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions

    as the sun sets, it was time to see what it could do in low light





    candle light only





    They have a night scene mode that shoots more than one picture at high ISO and merges them to reduce noise, pretty neat trick

  7. #7
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions



    This auntie tricked me into taking a shot of her after i told her i did not want the durian and then asked me for money




  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions










  9. #9
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions











    stay tuned for more detailed tests when i get more time with this camera

    the one thing that i really don't like is the small capacity of the battery,

    • Power Source: Rechargeable battery: BP1410 (1410mAh, 7.6V)
    • Battery: 180 min / 360 shots (CIPA Standard)

    which is the same with all the other consumer cameras, even the sony alpha 7
    360 shots will last me roughly half a day when i am on a trip.
    the plus point is that you can use the same USB external battery packs that the smartphones use to charge the camera.
    Last edited by ortega; 12th March 2014 at 06:04 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions

    Nice review man. The pictures are great. If only it is full frame .... sigh

  11. #11

    Default

    If the thread never put nx30 review, i also cant tell the photos are taken from a apsc camera. Thumbs up!!!!! :-)
    Last edited by jaiyen; 12th March 2014 at 09:20 PM.

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by KissMyAxe View Post
    Nice review man. The pictures are great. If only it is full frame .... sigh
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiyen View Post
    If the thread never put nx30 review, i also cant tell the photos are taken from a apsc camera. Thumbs up!!!!! :-)
    Thank you, I'm glad you liked them, the image quality also surprised me
    I want to know more about the software inside that makes photography easier
    Last edited by ortega; 13th March 2014 at 09:29 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,797
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions

    The images depicted here are outstanding ....very sharp and contrasty. Are they taken mostly with one particular lens? I am guessing it's the 16-50mm F2-2.8.
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  14. #14
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    The images depicted here are outstanding ....very sharp and contrasty. Are they taken mostly with one particular lens? I am guessing it's the 16-50mm F2-2.8.
    taken with a variety of lenses including the 16-50mm f2-2.8

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bekasi, Indonesia
    Posts
    516

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    which is the same with all the other consumer cameras, even the sony alpha 7
    360 shots will last me roughly half a day when i am on a trip.
    the plus point is that you can use the same USB external battery packs that the smartphones use to charge the camera.
    why samsung use this method for charging the battery inside camera?
    my experince using NX300, several month was good, but not for the rest
    battery easily exhausted, drain easily.
    when your camera in power off mode,
    you should remove the battery from the battery bay.

    they using 7,6Volt to use 3th party flash?
    because NX300 use the same voltage and can use any 3th party flash
    neither for the their older brother, very picky for using 3th party flash
    my assumption because of different in voltage make it happen

    I think NX20 Vs NX30, the IQ not have big gap, since the sensor still the same, only add the Phase detection inside the sensor, Samsung only upgrade the engine in which will not affect so much to IQ
    if you want to have different gap, wait until NX40 or NX45 #escapeusingmotorcycle

  16. #16
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions

    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydive View Post
    why samsung use this method for charging the battery inside camera?
    my experince using NX300, several month was good, but not for the rest
    battery easily exhausted, drain easily.
    when your camera in power off mode,
    you should remove the battery from the battery bay.

    they using 7,6Volt to use 3th party flash?
    because NX300 use the same voltage and can use any 3th party flash
    neither for the their older brother, very picky for using 3th party flash
    my assumption because of different in voltage make it happen

    I think NX20 Vs NX30, the IQ not have big gap, since the sensor still the same, only add the Phase detection inside the sensor, Samsung only upgrade the engine in which will not affect so much to IQ
    if you want to have different gap, wait until NX40 or NX45 #escapeusingmotorcycle
    I am not a battery expert, so i would not be able to comment on that, my experiences so far with batteries is that they normally last about 500 charges, which means about 1.5 years if you recharge it once each day.
    My only gripe is that the battery capacity should at least last 1 full day of shooting.

    Maybe we can conduct a side by side shootout

  17. #17
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Samsung NX30 - First Impressions



    Tried it for shooting an event, not too bad, don't you think?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •