Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: sRGB vs Adobe RGB

  1. #1
    Member Joshelerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    569

    Default sRGB vs Adobe RGB

    Hi, can anyone explain more in detail regarding sRGB and adobe RGB.

    Which mode do one normally use? The reason why user chose it.

    Factors that involve Post processing, printing, web upload, picture quality etc...
    Just keep shooting

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB

    As far as web is concerned, I believe the 'standard' is sRGB. According to my readings, only if you are dealing with prints frequently, then one would be using aRGB.

    That said, my last print was in sRGB. Changing it to aRGB changes the color... so I left it alone..
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 12th March 2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB

    If you shoot in RAW format only, you can ignore setting the color space in camera, that only apply on jpg or tiff file format create by the cameras.

    when you process your RAW files in Lightroom or Photoshop, you only set color space when you export your images to tiff or jpg.

    you can export tiff files in adobeRGB if you need to rework them in Photoshop, but you need select a color space that suits your final usage when export your final output

    if you upload your image for online sharing, use sRGB only.

    if you send your images for lab printing, use sRGB only,

    for other types of printing, check with your printers what is the color space and type of file format they accept.

    you use adobeRGB color on your final output only by specific request.




    btw, I export all my tiff in AdobeRGB as I need to rework them in photoshop
    I export jpg in AdobeRGB for stock photo submission.
    I export jpg in sRGB for any other usage.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4

    Default

    Nice summary.

  5. #5
    Member Joshelerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    If you shoot in RAW format only, you can ignore setting the color space in camera, that only apply on jpg or tiff file format create by the cameras.

    when you process your RAW files in Lightroom or Photoshop, you only set color space when you export your images to tiff or jpg.

    you can export tiff files in adobeRGB if you need to rework them in Photoshop, but you need select a color space that suits your final usage when export your final output

    if you upload your image for online sharing, use sRGB only.

    if you send your images for lab printing, use sRGB only,

    for other types of printing, check with your printers what is the color space and type of file format they accept.

    you use adobeRGB color on your final output only by specific request.




    btw, I export all my tiff in AdobeRGB as I need to rework them in photoshop
    I export jpg in AdobeRGB for stock photo submission.
    I export jpg in sRGB for any other usage.
    Thanks for advice, I'm using DPP (Canon) software & learning LR5 at the moment. Do you know how to set the RGB settings in this 2?
    I generally shoot in RAW and mostly use my photos for upload of Stock, web etc. Print rarely. Photoshop rarely use.
    Just keep shooting

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB

    I do not have Canon DPP Software, but I Google it.

    http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/syst...TICLE_ID=38453


    and I also Google a Lightroom export panel.

    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Member voice123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I do not have Canon DPP Software, but I Google it.

    http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/syst...TICLE_ID=38453


    and I also Google a Lightroom export panel.


    i got another question, abt this .
    camera can shoot in both raw and jpeg together
    is it recommended to shoot in both ?

    or i can just shoot in raw and then export them out to jpeg later, but is the jpeg and the jpeg export from computer same ?

  8. #8
    Member coolhirako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voice123 View Post

    i got another question, abt this .
    camera can shoot in both raw and jpeg together
    is it recommended to shoot in both ?

    or i can just shoot in raw and then export them out to jpeg later, but is the jpeg and the jpeg export from computer same ?
    Different.

  9. #9
    Member mardellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB

    Quote Originally Posted by voice123 View Post
    i got another question, abt this .
    camera can shoot in both raw and jpeg together
    is it recommended to shoot in both ?

    or i can just shoot in raw and then export them out to jpeg later, but is the jpeg and the jpeg export from computer same ?
    It will be different because camera and software processes JPEG files differently. Whether you want to shoot in RAW+JPEG is entirely up to you. People who do this are normally sports, press, events, weddings etc photographers, where they need/will be able to send the small JPEG file quickly/print quickly.

  10. #10
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: sRGB vs Adobe RGB

    Quote Originally Posted by voice123 View Post
    i got another question, abt this .
    camera can shoot in both raw and jpeg together
    is it recommended to shoot in both ?

    or i can just shoot in raw and then export them out to jpeg later, but is the jpeg and the jpeg export from computer same ?
    can do does not mean you must do,

    do you need it in the first place?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •