Thread: What is the difference between 50mm Macro and a normal 50mm lens?

Default What is the difference between 50mm Macro and a normal 50mm lens?

I was aware that the former is used for shooting macro, while the latter is used
    for shooting portrait, but what exactly are their differences? From the speca I
    could see their minimum focusing distance are different. (Let alone the aperture).

EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro S$680 AFD 46 8-9 f/2.5 0.75/0.23 63 9.9/280 - 52 E-52 LP814

EF 50mm f/1.8 II S$160 MM 46 5-6 f/1.8 1.5/0.45 41 4.6/130 ES-62# 52 E-52 LP1014

First, sharpness is on macro lenses...
    eat. drink. shoot

macro lens typically have edge to edge sharpness, and closer minimum focusing distance. (as well as the stated magnification).

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    I was aware that the former is used for shooting macro, while the latter is used
    for shooting portrait, but what exactly are their differences?
    In addition to what ohters have said: standard lenses are corrected for large object distances and don't work well for closeups. Macro lenses are corrected for close distances and may not do quite as well for far away objects.

This is reflected by the element arrangement: standard lenses are optically asymmetric, whereas macro lenses are (close to) symmetric.

Thank you all, understood.