Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major change in HDB resale procedure

Default Re: Major change in HDB resale procedure

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Whether I believe it or not, not important. Important thing is whether we can use it to our advantage to get a good deal from the government
    Are you serious or just smoking your carpet? SG government has proven many times that any charity idea is far from their mind. To them, it's business all the way down to the last heartlander and pioneer.
    EOS

Where in the world, any government ban chewing gum?

The official ideology of this is known as "Asset Enhancement". It has been in our national ideology ever since ex PM Goh brought it up.

https://www.reach.gov.sg/YourSay/Dis...%5B12568%5D%5D
    Because it is not good economics.

Asset inflation can only be supported by corresponding increases in the buying power of the public or by increasing the pool of people who can afford such price increases. Doling out long term loans only smudges the problem. If inflation cannot be supported by actual buying power, you have a bubble.

Sigh. All these changes. All I want to do is able to buy a place that I can call home and start a family without being "chopped" here and there.
    If I have to pay at the current market price then so be it, but I never like the idea people profiteering ABOVE market price.

This will be my home, not investment.
    [This space is available for rent]

Well said, the country is run like a business, and we the citizen are clients. Not shareholders.

That is why when the country makes more money, it goes to the shareholders. Not to the clients. Just like Any other big corporations.

When Singapore Inc gets better return it also means the clients pay more.

And who are the clients?
    You
    Me

Whether I believe it or not, not important. Important thing is whether we can use it to our advantage to get a good deal from the government
    What getting good deal from the government?

The ppl are only killing each other for an inflated hdb price.

Government is not losing anything at all. What they only do is to process the OTP paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post

Government is not losing anything at all. What they only do is to process the OTP paperwork.
    Simple: we want HDB flats to be cheap when we buy, and fetch high price when we sell.

The government gets to collect taxes. So they do have an incentive for prices to inflate.

Simple: we want HDB flats to be cheap when we buy, and fetch high price when we sell.
    One day, when the country finally hits rock bottom, I'm going to say "You reap what you sow."

Quote Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
    One day, when the country finally hits rock bottom, I'm going to say "You reap what you sow."
    I'm all for 'buy from HDB, sell back to HDB' policy. This is very in line with the original objectives of HDB.

Those who kpkb about this policy, no one is stopping them to buy private property. It's a free market.

I'm all for 'buy from HDB, sell back to HDB' policy. This is very in line with the original objectives of HDB.

Those who kpkb about this policy, no one is stopping them to buy private property. It's a free market.
    The problem comes when public housing is treated as if it were private property.

But such a policy will never come to past. A good part of the population is enamored with their high property values.

Quote Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
    The problem comes when public housing is treated as if it were private property. But such a policy will never come to past. A good part of the population is enamored with their high property values.
    A mistake does not means we should continue. The current direct BTO will be the based price. No reason to further increase. You want to invest in property, buy from the developers. You need a home, BTO is what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Are you serious or just smoking your carpet? SG government has proven many times that any charity idea is far from their mind. To them, it's business all the way down to the last heartlander and pioneer.
    Of course not. As Minister Shanmugam said in a recent interview on the news: "what we are saying is that if you are old and sick, don't worry... The government will take care of you." Several ministers have echoed this.

In other words, the Singapore style welfare state is here to stay.

Of course not. As Minister Shanmugam said in a recent interview on the news: "what we are saying is that if you are old and sick, don't worry... The government will take care of you." Several ministers have echoed this.
    In other words, the Singapore style welfare state is here to stay.
    Until the old and sick are .. erm.. gone? Without seeing the fine print I wouldn't give two hoots about such statements, plenty of room to maneuver.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    A mistake does not means we should continue. The current direct BTO will be the based price. No reason to further increase. You want to invest in property, buy from the developers. You need a home, BTO is what you get.
    Such a policy, trust me, is politically unpopular. The *** has more than once, played the scare card that property prices would plunge if the Opposition is elected.

The property market has, and has always been, something of an addictive drug for countries. Governments get to get high tax revenues from property sales, and people get to reap the benefits of inflation. However, all this must be founded on the idea that people's wages increase correspondingly, and the system does not get abused by excessive speculation by external and local operators.

A shining example of what not to do would be Ireland. 50% of government revenue came from property. The fun started when the bubble popped and the banks collapsed.
    Last edited by NazgulKing; 14th March 2014 at 04:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12