Thread: Does it makes sense to...

Default Does it makes sense to...

Hi,

I currently own a EPL-5 with kit lens, Pam 20mm prime (old model) as well as Pam 45-150mm tele lens.

I normally uses the Pam 20mm to take pix of my active kids, friends gathering and I will bring out the 45-150mm when on holidays. My gripe was that having the 45-150mm on, I will miss shots of my family and vis versa if I only have the 20mm on.

I thot of ditching the 20mm and 45-150mm to buy the 14-140 and a wide angle lens like the Pam 7-14. These 2 lenses ain't cheap so I wonder if it makes sense for a novice like myself. I do have some basic knowledge of shutter speed, aperture etc but definitely not confident to go manual on my camera. I normally uses the Aperture mode on my camera as I like to bring out my subject (ie my kids normally) from the background which can be quite busy.

Alternatively what crosses my mind is to off load my entire MFT set and buy the Stylus 1 since it covers 28-300mm effective focal and a constant f2.8.

Which way should I go...

My suggestion is to check how often do u shoot at telephoto focal length first. I don't think most people go beyond 100mm for travel.

If this is true , my suggestion is to sell both lenses and just get the Pana 12-35/2.8 or the Oly 12-40/2.8. U don't have to too up a lot for the the significant jump in Image quality, especially when u r going to have the advantage of a constant f2.8 compared to the slow f5.8 on the 14-140mm. The f2.8 will come in handy shooting kids too.

Only go for the wide angle when u really are clear u need it

Default Re: Does it makes sense to...

The tele lens is not one I used often. Only when we travel and occasions when I know the subject cld be far away like zoo outings, kids performance etc.

12-40mm sounds very close to the kit lens of 14-42. Other than e f-stop what other differences?

Is the OMD EM5/EM10 alot more superior than the EPL5 to warrant and "upgrade"?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by juzluvpink75 View Post
    The tele lens is not one I used often. Only when we travel and occasions when I know the subject cld be far away like zoo outings, kids performance etc. 12-40mm sounds very close to the kit lens of 14-42. Other than e f-stop what other differences? Is the OMD EM5/EM10 alot more superior than the EPL5 to warrant and "upgrade"? Thanks!
    Hi , The focal lengths may be quite similar (12-40 vs 14-42) but the performance is worlds apart. There's a reason why one is a $120 lens while the other is a $1100 lens but as with all things , it's always good to try it for yourself to believe in it.

The only kit lens to me that's really sharp is the Pana 14-45, ironically the very 1st kit Pana released.

I wouldn't think the EM5 is superior to the EPL5 by a lot as main pros of EM5 over EPL5 is the built in EVF , better handling and 5 vs 2 axis IBIS. EPL5 is still more than capable of good performance. EM10 may provide slightly better performance being a newer model but essentially EM5, EPL5 and EM10 share the same sensor.

Upgrade lens first before body if on a budget
    Last edited by keithwee; 10th March 2014 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    Hi , The focal lengths may be quite similar (12-40 vs 14-42) but the performance is worlds apart. There's a reason why one is a $120 lens while the other is a $1100 lens but as with all things , it's always good to try it for yourself to believe in it.

The only kit lens to me that's really sharp is the Pana 14-45, ironically the very 1st kit Pana released.

I wouldn't think the EM5 is superior to the EPL5 by a lot as main pros of EM5 over EPL5 is the built in EVF , better handling and 5 vs 2 axis IBIS. EPL5 is still more than capable of good performance. EM10 may provide slightly better performance being a newer model but essentially EM5, EPL5 and EM10 share the same sensor.

Upgrade lens first before body if on a budget
    TQ so much for your advise. Shall go check out the lens first.

actually why dont you just bring the 20mm along? it is so small and changing the lens is just a few seconds job... if i am in your shoe i would always have the 20mm on the camera and only use the 45-150 if it is needed... if it is the itch to get a new lens then its a different story.

the 20mm is rather versatile and should be able to get you some city/landscape shots and lots of street shots and probably a couple of nice portrait (like half body, if head shot may get some proportion issue).

my 2 cts...

Actually that was what I had been doing. But feel very "restricted" somehow. I am never fast enough to move to get my kids in frame before the moment is lost. I am feel evaluating my options. But thanks for your comments nonetheless.