Thread: Wealth Redistribution

Default Wealth Redistribution

Yahoo post an interesting article on wealth redistribution in Singapore.

If policies are correct, the poor need not be living on handouts... Agree?

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...041959138.html

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Yahoo post an interesting article on wealth redistribution in Singapore. If policies are correct, the poor need not be living on handouts... Agree?
    No. In anywhere, there will always be those who need a helping hand. It is the primary reason why charities exist.

Default Re: Wealth Redistribution

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    No. In anywhere, there will always be those who need a helping hand. It is the primary reason why charities exist.
    True, a great figure once said, "The poor will always be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Yahoo post an interesting article on wealth redistribution in Singapore.

If policies are correct, the poor need not be living on handouts... Agree?

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...041959138.html
    No. Poverty is the result of joblessness or very low wages. The major problem is that nobody stop the rich boss from increasing their wages by 500% but everyone will try to stop increase in wages of the lower income group. Even though the increase may be only 10%.
    Charity will only help to prolong their suffering but will not increase the wealth of the poor.

Everyone seem to focus on Minimum wage but I feel that they should focus on Maximum wage as well.
    This is to prevent the rich from over paying themselves and let the profits of the companies goes down from the top to the bottom of the company.
    Last edited by Yutaka Go; 8th March 2014 at 10:58 AM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

While we will never be able to ensure wealth is evenly distributed, the situation for small nation like us is even worst.

The lower end will always be squeezed and almost has no way to get out. They cannot go and farm and live a simple life but need to 'compete' without bargaining power.

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    No. Poverty is the result of joblessness or very low wages. The major problem is that nobody stop the rich boss from increasing their wages by 500% but everyone will try to stop increase in wages of the lower income group. Even though the increase may be only 10%.
    Charity will only help to prolong their suffering but will not increase the wealth of the poor.

Everyone seem to focus on Minimum wage but I feel that they should focus on Maximum wage as well.
    This is to prevent the rich from over paying themselves and let the profits of the companies goes down from the top to the bottom of the company.
    In most countries, if bosses had their way, the number 1 thing they will get rid of are unions.
    I'm so glad in sg the bosses and union work together hand in hand so we do not have such problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    While we will never be able to ensure wealth is evenly distributed, the situation for small nation like us is even worst.

The lower end will always be squeezed and almost has no way to get out. They cannot go and farm and live a simple life but need to 'compete' without bargaining power.
    In Singapore, it doesn't matter what your starting point in life is. If you work hard, if you have the ability, you can rise.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    In Singapore, it doesn't matter what your starting point in life is. If you work hard, if you have the ability, you can rise.
    This is no longer true since nepotism start to take root

With the import of FT, whose culture see nothing wrong to give the promotion/pay raise to relatives, friends and favorite employees over those who have the better ability.

http://therealsingapore.com/content/...-foreign-pmets
    Last edited by Yutaka Go; 8th March 2014 at 04:00 PM.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

It took so long for some at the top to find out what many know on the ground already... Hopefully actions are taken and not just talk only.

http://therealsingapore.com/content/...-foreign-pmets
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 8th March 2014 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    True BUT if you are from the top 10%, what is your chances??

Deregistered

Wealth redistribution? You must be kidding. You believe there is really Robin Hoods around? LOL

True BUT if you are from the top 10%, what is your chances??
    That line is not i say one wor.....merely quoting some reputable leader.
    lololololololololololololololololololol

Personally i like this graph:

During cny when relatives come and comment why i so buay kan, last time go neighbourhood jc then dropout, later go poly then dropout again, finally couldn't even finish ite, i pull that graph out and say i buay kan because i born to poor family.

lololololololol

No worries, as long as got monies, send him oversea to get a doctorate in something not so important. Come back set up a company and make him a Managing Director. Lolol

No worries, as long as got monies, send him oversea to get a doctorate in something not so important. Come back set up a company and make him a Managing Director. Lolol
    Agree.

Those with financial means will be able to send their children overseas to further their education. The economic/social status will therefore self-perpetuate.

Those that had no means to do so will be stuck at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder. The "best students" will collect the top scholarships. Whatever left of the few remaining scholarships will be redistributed to the best achievers amongst the poor.