Thread: How to format from NTFS to FAT32 ???

Default How to format from NTFS to FAT32 ???

Hi, well... I think this is an easy task but I don't know how to do it! Hahahahahaha

Somehow, my portable HDD was formatted to NTFS by my friend, but I wanted it to be FAT32. When I tried to format it again, the only option appear is NTFS, no FAT32 for me to choose. Paiseh ... quite an IT idiot.

Anybody can help ???

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by wenx
    Hi, well... I think this is an easy task but I don't know how to do it! Hahahahahaha

Somehow, my portable HDD was formatted to NTFS by my friend, but I wanted it to be FAT32. When I tried to format it again, the only option appear is NTFS, no FAT32 for me to choose. Paiseh ... quite an IT idiot.

Anybody can help ???

Thanks in advance
    if i am not wrong, its better to have it in NTFS format..

not sure wat exact reason.. but my company hdd all format to NTFS..

correct me if i am wrong...

but anyway, there should have an option as to whether FAT or NTFS..

hmmm...
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Thanks for the fast response...

I wanted it in FAT32 because I am using the HDD for my portable image storage, I also dunno the reason but was advised by others that I had to format it to FAT32.

Yah, I find it strange that I don't have the option too... Really weird.

Thumbs up Try reformatting?

Try using the Windows Installation CD to reformat the partition. Usually its better to do a clean low-level reformat of the HDD rather than a simple conversion using 3rd party software.

There is an option to leave the OS partition file system intact or format it in FAT32 or NTFS. Choose from there

Cheers

Hi Cphile, thanks for ur response.

As you can see, I am quite an idiot in IT. If I use windows installation to format, won't it be formatting my notebook HDD? Am I right to say that?

Or perhaps I can take out my original HDD and replace it with the new HDD that I want to format and follow your steps?

To clarify my situation, I am holding a Samsung 40 Gb 2.5" HDD for external usage.

Thanks

There is NO way to degrade to FAT if you want to keep the current OS running on ur PC. but you can format ur memory card/slave HDD to FAT.

XP
    Right click on ur drive in "My Computer" then choose FAT/FAT32" in "FIILE SYSTEM"

The reason to keep NTFS is, NTFS= Windows NT File System --> more security on the file system. but LINUX cannot read NTFS if i'm not wrong

Quote Originally Posted by besh
    There is NO way to degrade to FAT if you want to keep the current OS running on ur PC. but you can format ur memory card/slave HDD to FAT.

XP
    Right click on ur drive in "My Computer" then choose FAT/FAT32" in "FIILE SYSTEM"

The reason to keep NTFS is, NTFS= Windows NT File System --> more security on the file system. but LINUX cannot read NTFS if i'm not wrong
    Hi, thanks for your advice. This is where its weird, under file system, I can't find FAT32, only NTFS.

Hi, thanks for your advice. This is where its weird, under file system, I can't find FAT32, only NTFS.
    i believe you are using win2k or winXP.

Windows 2k/XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB.
    You cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup.

In your case, you can create 2 partitions on your portable HDD.
    Format them as FAT32 20gb each. If you need detail instructions, i can try to do some screen captures.

Quote Originally Posted by sil
    i believe you are using win2k or winXP.

Windows 2k/XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB.
    You cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup.

In your case, you can create 2 partitions on your portable HDD.
    Format them as FAT32 20gb each. If you need detail instructions, i can try to do some screen captures.
    Hi Sil, you are right, I am using win XP. So how now should I create 2 partitions? Thanks a lot...

Deregistered

Adminsitrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

After connecting to the PC, the HDD should appear there, right click, select format and choose FAT32.

NTFS is good because if accidentally reboot or hang or whatever, unlike FAT32, it won't prompt you to do scandisk.

Also, there's security (tho' not very much and not very useful) when used with the OS for NTFS.

Please backup your data in your portable hdd before you proceed.

1) Go to START >> RUN >> type "diskmgmt.msc"
    2) Right-click on your portable hdd >> choose "Delete Partition" >> choose "Yes" (Pic 1)
    3) Your portable hdd will become "Unallocated".
    4) Right-click >> choose "New Partition". >> Next
    5) Select "Primary partition" >> Next
    6) Input "19000" in Partition size in MB >> Next >> Next
    7) From here you will be allow to choose FAT32. Select "Perform a quick format" >> Next (Pic 2)
    8) Finish.

9) Repeat the step 1 to 8 for 2nd partition. (use all the MB left) (Pic 3)

Hope this helps.

SiL

Hi Sil, you are right, I am using win XP. So how now should I create 2 partitions? Thanks a lot...
    Yeah, as mentioned by Sil, you can't format the HDD as FAT32 if the partition is bigger than 32GB.
    What you can do is go to Control Panel -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.
    From there you can see all the HDD you have on your PC, and their partitions.
    Select the HDD that you want to format.
    Right-click on it and choose Delete Partition.
    Once the partition is deleted, it's shown as "Unallocated" with the volums size of the HDD.
    Right-click on it again and this time choose New Partition.
    The New Partition Wizard opens, click Next.
    If it's the 1st partition of HDD, choose Primary Partition.
    If it's the end partition, choose Extended Partition.
    Click Next, enter 32000 to create a 32GB partition that can be formatted as FAT32.
    Click Next and let the computer assign a drive letter for you.
    You can assign it yourself if you want.
    Click Next again and choose FAT32 under File System but don't choose Perform Quick Format.
    Click Next and Finish .... you're done creating a FAT32 partition, and your new partition will be start formatting.
    If not, just right-click and choose format.
    If your HDD is larger than 32GB you should see another partition labeled as "Unallocated".
    You can create another partition and format it in the same method mentioned above.

WOAH!!!!!!!

Sil, thanks a lot for your help!!! My HDD formatting is done liao ...
    What a help you have been !!!

Thanks Again !

To others, you guys have been nice trying to help too! Thanks for that!

Another good reason to have a removable HDD in FAT32 is that both MAC and PC can read from it.

To remark on the "security".

NTFS can be broken by booting into safe mode under administrator, changing the ownership, and then allowing access to all users. Fairly simple. How I know this is I accidently enabled NTFS security, and had to do that file by file to my whole desktop when my computer crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by jj1987
    To remark on the "security".

NTFS can be broken by booting into safe mode under administrator, changing the ownership, and then allowing access to all users. Fairly simple. How I know this is I accidently enabled NTFS security, and had to do that file by file to my whole desktop when my computer crashed.
    Not if you had chosen to encrypt the content (except the winnt/windows directory). Actually, NTFS is one of the most sophisticated and feature-rich FS.