Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does a professional photographer earns?

Default How much does a professional photographer earns?

Do you know how much does a professional photographer earns? (those who works as a photojournalist at mediacorp, straits times and other press companies)

Deregistered

6 letters.

L I T T L E

Wink Don't think So

Remember the New York base S'pore Pro who specialized in Model shoot.

His Name is Wan Chu-Long, my 23 years old friend since childhood. He's earning $X00,000 -> 6 figure easy.....

But I've not meet up with him for many years........

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    6 letters.

L I T T L E
    Last edited by peterpeh; 23rd June 2005 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

I think espn is thinking in the sporean context not based in NY

Deregistered

Yep ortega is right. That's what the thread starter was asking about anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe N.M
    Do you know how much does a professional photographer earns? (those who works as a photojournalist at mediacorp, straits times and other press companies)
    Err unless we have people working there loggingon here and willing to say you will not get to know.

I suppose its simplistic to say they get paid enough to live on. If you are asking if they are living in the lap of luxury ie above 4k per month I think not for the basic shooter. When they advertise again apply in and find out from the horses mouth. Or you could try call their HRM dept to check.

ESPN - define little grin. For Bill Gates too little was bending over to pick up a couple of 10K notes on the way in from the car park to his office. What's yours ? Just pulling your leg here.

I have a friend whose sister is working as a photog in SPH, earns about 2+ only.

i think we should state the normal case.

bcos in every job there are top earners and low earner. it is not fair to state the top or bottom end loh.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    I have a friend whose sister is working as a photog in SPH, earns about 2+ only.
    I got a few friends there ... starting pay $1K+, by now most of them will be 2K+ and some may cross the 3K mark ....

yeap .. for degree holder start pay 2.5K hearsay ... quite good ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

i think photographer job quite siong.

hobby better. no stress, no deadline, screw up no one scold

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo

who say no stress, no deadline and no one scold ...

stress to deliver, deadline to submit and if your photos sucks .. then no more jobs liao ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG

stress to deliver, deadline to submit and if your photos sucks .. then no more jobs liao ...
    think he meant hobby is better than the real thing...

aiya... even if hobby, we just put our pics here also sometimes dio suan... just that since they aren't paying us... we dun care lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo

Speaking as a professional photographer the above is true. Hobby is better Professional- usually you shoot what people want. Stress- hai when on a bad month where there little job our overhead can give us heart attack. Deadline- ya right only when your cilent tell you after the shoot can they have the pictures by tomorrow morning as they have a deadline. Screw up- what worst is after you get scolded you will not get any job from the cilent and their friends even the screw up might not be your fault in the first place. By the way in singapore if photography is your passion it is ok to be a photographer, but never think of getting rich in this career in singapore Anyway I earn $x0.00 to $x0000.00 depending on how good the month is.
    Last edited by singscott; 23rd June 2005 at 12:44 PM.

Quite.. relaxing

One thing I am certain, if you are mat salleh lookalike.

The clients certainly dun mind to pay you more and complain less......

hmmm...seems that the market is quite saturated here. I have heard that other photographers (particularly outside singapore) have made big bucks out from their careers. Why not Singapore??????

knight Ong says: "degree holder start pay 2.5K hearsay ... quite good".
    Sorry to say this but do u really need to have a degree to become a photog and to achieve a start pay of 2.5K. It seems funny to me coz photography is a skilled art and it is not based on academic performances. Correct me if i am wrong. If this is right then the true skilled photographer will die liao. hehe.

Last Nov, my sista wedding paid a chinaman photographer Aud$2K for a day's work. While her fren(wealthy couple) paid 7K to an established photographer.

Life ain't meant to be fair.

Excuse me for saying this, but what Knight Ong says is quite correct.

I'm sure that everyone knows that here in Singapore, paper qualifications is a must. If you don't have paper qualifications, do you think that you will be hired by SPH?

Even if your shots are good, do you think that they want to hire you? Even if the interviewer wants to hire you, but the interviewer's boss doesn't, what can you do?

Wheras in the US, it is very different. If your shots are good and if people wants to hire you, they will pay you for what it is worth. No degree also can.

Quote Originally Posted by agape01
    Excuse me for saying this, but what Knight Ong says is quite correct.

I'm sure that everyone knows that here in Singapore, paper qualifications is a must. If you don't have paper qualifications, do you think that you will be hired by SPH?

Even if your shots are good, do you think that they want to hire you? Even if the interviewer wants to hire you, but the interviewer's boss doesn't, what can you do?

Wheras in the US, it is very different. If your shots are good and if people wants to hire you, they will pay you for what it is worth. No degree also can.
    The US version is more likely and more acceptable.

You pay what they can give you and not you pay what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG

Very true. Hobby better. More freedom= More Experimenting= More experience= Better Photographer.

This is because if you are a news photojournalist, you wouldnt dare to play around during the scene experimenting different viewpoints just in case you screw up the whole thing and get all the nonsense from your editor or client.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast