Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 122

Thread: Singapore named the world's most expensive city

  1. #101

    Default Re: Singapore named the world's most expensive city

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    "Work in Singapore, marry in Myanmar." - Laozi.
    Confucius said “Find a job you love and you’ll never have to work a day in your life”

    Cupid said "Find a billionare girl that love you and you’ll never have to work a day in your life”

    I eats, shoots & leaves

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Singapore named the world's most expensive city

    Are expats unhappy with the Economist Intelligence Unit's ranking SG as most expensive?

    No. You don't get it. Expats are very happy with this report.

    With this study, expats posted to SG will be able to officially demand extremely generous expat pay packages with luxurious benefits, high-end housing, etc.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 6th March 2014 at 09:01 PM.

  3. #103

    Default Re: Singapore named the world's most expensive city

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Are expats unhappy with the Economist Intelligence Unit's ranking SG as most expensive?

    No. You don't get it. Expats are very happy with this report.

    With this study, expats posted to SG will be able to officially demand extremely generous expat pay packages with luxurious benefits, high-end housing, etc.
    I am also very happy, I think I can get higher rent for my penthouse now. We must increase the salaries of our ministers so that they can continue to enjoy their fillet mignon and what not.

  4. #104

    Default Re: We are 1st!

    Quote Originally Posted by dniwkh View Post
    you know what I gather when I read the response??

    Cars and taxis should be left for high earning expats. Same for the other luxuries in Singapore. Local like us need not concern about them because we have our heavily crowded MRT and hawker centers.

    It really isn't a good response.

    Frankly, to me, I feel there are three things that are eseential, cars, housing and healthcare.

    All of them are so expensive in part due to stupid policies by the government.

    1) housing... I don't have to go there as I think this has been analysed to death
    2) cars... what has the government done to relieve congestion??? literally nothing. look at the "HUGE" policy change the came up with after MONTHS of public consultation and discussion, a new CAT A COE by engine power which practically did nothing. How about encouraging car pooling? How about having a new COE which pays 10x ERP everytime it crosses a gantry? My new china colleague who arrived 3 weeks ago said he was surprised how bad the public transportation was as he cannot squeeze up his bus almost everyday.
    3) Healthcare. Why do we lack doctors now? Why was the medical intake so small in the past? Looking at the pay some of the specialists are getting... (not to mention their house...)

    Very well said. I used to wonder in the past also why they cut down on medical students intake in NUS. Whenever I see a doctor, there was a long queue. And I have a few friends who are doctors. They all complained being a doctor these days is not easy. Long working hours.

    Much later, now, I know the answer. They now employ many doctors from India, Philippines and even Myanmar! Why? Obviously, the pay is cheaper. I know, cos I deal with these doctors as well.

    My colleague's son, who is a doctor, told me he earns less than a McDonald's counter worker during his houseman days. Don't believe, ask any houseman how much he or she earns and the number of hours they have to clock.

    It's all planned and thought out by the government.

    Well, I don't have to go into housing and others also as I believe they have been discusses many times. Basically, even public housing was screwed up without ensuring the infrastructure is in place to cope with the sudden burst in population. It's clear they never had the good intentions on the common citizens in mind. It's money first, people second.

  5. #105

    Default

    I find it ironic our leaders are saying the numbers are not reflective due to the basket of goods used.

    They haven been using the same method to tell us inflation is low here......

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,805
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: We are 1st!

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Very well said. I used to wonder in the past also why they cut down on medical students intake in NUS. Whenever I see a doctor, there was a long queue. And I have a few friends who are doctors. They all complained being a doctor these days is not easy. Long working hours.

    Much later, now, I know the answer. They now employ many doctors from India, Philippines and even Myanmar! Why? Obviously, the pay is cheaper. I know, cos I deal with these doctors as well.

    My colleague's son, who is a doctor, told me he earns less than a McDonald's counter worker during his houseman days. Don't believe, ask any houseman how much he or she earns and the number of hours they have to clock.

    It's all planned and thought out by the government.

    Well, I don't have to go into housing and others also as I believe they have been discusses many times. Basically, even public housing was screwed up without ensuring the infrastructure is in place to cope with the sudden burst in population. It's clear they never had the good intentions on the common citizens in mind. It's money first, people second.
    Well said ....... money first, people second ..........
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  7. #107

    Default Re: We are 1st!

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Very well said. I used to wonder in the past also why they cut down on medical students intake in NUS. Whenever I see a doctor, there was a long queue. And I have a few friends who are doctors. They all complained being a doctor these days is not easy. Long working hours.

    Much later, now, I know the answer. They now employ many doctors from India, Philippines and even Myanmar! Why? Obviously, the pay is cheaper. I know, cos I deal with these doctors as well.

    My colleague's son, who is a doctor, told me he earns less than a McDonald's counter worker during his houseman days. Don't believe, ask any houseman how much he or she earns and the number of hours they have to clock.

    It's all planned and thought out by the government.

    Well, I don't have to go into housing and others also as I believe they have been discusses many times. Basically, even public housing was screwed up without ensuring the infrastructure is in place to cope with the sudden burst in population. It's clear they never had the good intentions on the common citizens in mind. It's money first, people second.
    I know a few doctors myself. I don't think its a conspiracy thing. If you believe such thing, maybe you need antidepressants
    Its demand supply in work. Doctors is scarce due to high entrance fees, and long study times.
    Gov can lower the standard but I think there will be lawsuits from patients

  8. #108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post

    I know a few doctors myself. I don't think its a conspiracy thing. If you believe such thing, maybe you need antidepressants
    Its demand supply in work. Doctors is scarce due to high entrance fees, and long study times.
    Gov can lower the standard but I think there will be lawsuits from patients
    Lawsuits in Singapore are pointless because most doctors here won't dare to go up there to testify for fear of antagonising future fellow colleagues.

  9. #109
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Obviously, the pay is cheaper. I know, cos I deal with these doctors as well. My colleague's son, who is a doctor, told me he earns less than a McDonald's counter worker during his houseman days.
    I do not know how much McDonald's counter aunties are paid. But upon graduation, house men are paid S$4500. It is a lot higher than the average graduate pay. See MOE's latest graduate employment survey.

  10. #110

    Default Re: Singapore named the world's most expensive city

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I do not know how much McDonald's counter aunties are paid. But upon graduation, house men are paid S$4500. It is a lot higher than the average graduate pay. See MOE's latest graduate employment survey.
    It depends on the decade, and in the 90s their allowance was 1600 / month no on call money.
    It is definitely not $4500 a month even now. Where did you get that number from?
    My students who are recent graduate MBBS are certainly not in the category.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  11. #111
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    It depends on the decade, and in the 90s their allowance was 1600 / month no on call money. It is definitely not $4500 a month even now. Where did you get that number from? My students who are recent graduate MBBS are certainly not in the category.
    http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/post...es/ges-nus.pdf

  12. #112

    Default Re: Singapore named the world's most expensive city

    Amazing...
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  13. #113

    Default Re: We are 1st!

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    I know a few doctors myself. I don't think its a conspiracy thing. If you believe such thing, maybe you need antidepressants
    Its demand supply in work. Doctors is scarce due to high entrance fees, and long study times.
    Gov can lower the standard but I think there will be lawsuits from patients
    doctors are scarce because the intake is small. and during my time, they dont take in the best students academically and rely in a 15min interview to choose candidates.

    i am pretty sure they can easily double the intake and still find a lot of good students. it is just the policy set years ago by the goverment. underestimate the demand...

  14. #114

    Default Re: We are 1st!

    Quote Originally Posted by dniwkh View Post
    doctors are scarce because the intake is small. and during my time, they dont take in the best students academically and rely in a 15min interview to choose candidates.

    i am pretty sure they can easily double the intake and still find a lot of good students. it is just the policy set years ago by the goverment. underestimate the demand...
    I don't believe they underestimate the demand. More like they purposely strangle the supply to push wages up.
    But don't worry, the age of doctors is over. Now it's the age of generals.

  15. #115
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: We are 1st!

    There is a conspiracy theory to make Singapore the most expensive country in the world so that only the wealthy and influential people come to live here.

  16. #116

    Default Re: We are 1st!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    There is a conspiracy theory to make Singapore the most expensive country in the world so that only the wealthy and influential people come to live here.
    Is this also considered meritocracy?

  17. #117
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    i had a friend bought a house in Johor 4 years ago, the price is cheaper than a normal HDB flat, so his family lived in Johor but travel to work to Singapore everyday. earned SGD from Singapore based job, but spend in RM in Malaysian home
    Just my personal opinion. Why buy if rental is so low? If he is thinking of capital appreciation in future, then I am afraid he will be disappointed. If he thinks he can rent out that house, then he needs to check that out again.

  18. #118

    Default Re: Singapore named the world's most expensive city

    ownership provides psychological security that rental can't
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  19. #119

    Default Re: We are 1st!

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Is this also considered meritocracy?
    They keep you down with myths of opportunity.

  20. #120

    Default Re: We are 1st!

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    They keep you down with myths of opportunity.
    Ha ha, "Myths of Opportunity," it has a nice ring to it.


Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •