Thread: Travelling to Switzerland in May 2014

Default Travelling to Switzerland in May 2014

Planned a 11 days 8 nights trip to Switzerland with my wife in May, already bought the air tickets and booked hotels, plan to buy 8 days Swiss pass when we reach Zurich airport, here is my itinerary:
    Singapore -> Zurich -> Lucerne (Stay at Renaissance for 2 nights)
    Places to visit: Lake Lucerne, Old Town, Mt Titlis, Mt Pilatus
    Lucerne -> Interlaken (Stay at Royal-St.Georges for 2 nights)
    Places to visit: Jungfraujoch
    Interlaken -> Zermatt (Stay at Garni Testa Grigia for 2 nights)
    Places to visit: The Matterhorn, Alpine dairy on the Stafel
    Zermatt -> St. Moritz thru GLACIER EXPRESS (Stay at Schweizerhof for 1 night)
    St. Moritz -> Zurich (Stay at Ramada for 1 night)
    Places to visit: Lindt & Sprüngli chocolate factory

I'm a newbie for photography world, bought a Nikon D610 with 24-120mmF4, and 50mmF1.8, do I still need a wide angle one?
    Any advices for the travel itinerary and the places to visit? Thanks!

Default Re: Travelling to Switzerland in May 2014

Yes! if you add on a 16-35mm f4 VR will be perfect.
    Do not forget polarizer and tripod.
    Have a pleasant journey.

Yes, prepared a Hoya CPL and free tripod from Nikon.
    16-35 & 14-24 which is better to bring?
    Haven't decided whether to buy wide angle and which one to buy.
    Most probably I will not bring 50mm f1.8 to reduce weight.
    Last edited by nightbug; 2nd March 2014 at 11:13 AM.

I personally chose the 16-35 f4 VR, because can add on filter and share the same filters with 70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8 and 24-120mm f4 VR.
    Of course, it's also lighter and cheaper.

Thank you for the advice
    Quote Originally Posted by K S Kong View Post
    I personally chose the 16-35 f4 VR, because can add on filter and share the same filters with 70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8 and 24-120mm f4 VR.
    Of course, it's also lighter and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by nightbug View Post
    Yes, prepared a Hoya CPL and free tripod from Nikon.
    16-35 & 14-24 which is better to bring?
    Haven't decided whether to buy wide angle and which one to buy.
    Most probably I will not bring 50mm f1.8 to reduce weight.
    I would urge you to have a look at the AFS 18-35G - not *that* wide, but certainly much lighter, both physically and on the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by rh89 View Post
    I would urge you to have a look at the AFS 18-35G - not *that* wide, but certainly much lighter, both physically and on the wallet.
    Much lighter! 385g vs 685g, how about the performance compare with 16-35? No IS.

Much lighter! 385g vs 685g, how about the performance compare with 16-35? No IS.
    IMO the 18-35G's performance is better than that of the 16-35, but I know some people out there will disagree with me. Perhaps it's best if you take a look at the available resources and reviews online and come to a conclusion yourself. You could always head down to the Nikon showroom to try both lenses out if you feel the need for a first hand look at them.

Yes, the 18-35G lacks VR (the Nikon term is VR - Vibration Reduction, IS is a term that Canon uses). Whether or not that feature is important to you is a question that only you can answer, unfortunately. Do you shoot on a tripod? Do you like shooting indoors in relatively dark places like churches? Of course there's also the difference in price and weight to think about, so all in all, it's really a matter of which aspect(s) you value more.

Personally, I normally shoot with the 14-24. I recently acquired an 18-35G for travel purposes, and also for when I don't really feel like dragging the 1kg 14-24 around and don't quite need 14mm. For me, weight and value for money were the prime considerations, and also since I pretty much shoot on a tripod all the time, VR wasn't a factor. The 14-24 doesn't have VR either, and I've never really found myself wishing it did.

Photography, I cannot help you, but the itinerary I can add..
    Besides the usual, Lion Monument, Chapel bridge, you should climb the medieval towers around Musegg Wall area. You can see above them behind the old town backdrop.
    Night shots – behind the train station is Europa Park. Nice shot of the Lake with the Old town background

Interlaken – St Georges hotel is nearer to Interlaken East station
    five minute walk from St Georges is Interlaken Park. Beautiful view of the Jungfrau and the 3 most famous peaks. Eiger, Monch and Jungfraujoch.
    You can plan your return train from Jungfraujoch via Grindelwald.
    Grindelwald is a very beautiful Swiss Ski Village with the 3 mountains background.

Zermatt – Near your hotel is a church. I feel this has a good angle of Matterhorn.
    If poss take the Gronegrat trip. The scenery is breath taking. At Gronegrat – enroute you will get to see the many faces of Matterhorn.

Glacier Express – St Moritz. – try to book the 09:00 train – the train used is the painted actual Glacier Express Train. All other timings, they use normal trains. Check with the station master.. sometime the timing change.

Zurich – hotels has complimentary transfers to/from airports. Plan your schedule with the Swiss pass, you can save a fair bit

My two cents worth

Quote Originally Posted by AnitaChong28 View Post
    Photography, I cannot help you, but the itinerary I can add..
    Besides the usual, Lion Monument, Chapel bridge, you should climb the medieval towers around Musegg Wall area. You can see above them behind the old town backdrop.
    Night shots – behind the train station is Europa Park. Nice shot of the Lake with the Old town background

Interlaken – St Georges hotel is nearer to Interlaken East station
    five minute walk from St Georges is Interlaken Park. Beautiful view of the Jungfrau and the 3 most famous peaks. Eiger, Monch and Jungfraujoch.
    You can plan your return train from Jungfraujoch via Grindelwald.
    Grindelwald is a very beautiful Swiss Ski Village with the 3 mountains background.

Zermatt – Near your hotel is a church. I feel this has a good angle of Matterhorn.
    If poss take the Gronegrat trip. The scenery is breath taking. At Gronegrat – enroute you will get to see the many faces of Matterhorn.

Glacier Express – St Moritz. – try to book the 09:00 train – the train used is the painted actual Glacier Express Train. All other timings, they use normal trains. Check with the station master.. sometime the timing change.

Zurich – hotels has complimentary transfers to/from airports. Plan your schedule with the Swiss pass, you can save a fair bit

My two cents worth
    That's very helpful, definitely will take a look.

Intended to buy 18-35G, any recommended filter to put on it permanently? UV, CPL or ND? To protect the lens as well.

Bought 18-35G today, with B+W UV on it. So I will only bring 18-35 & 24-120 for the travel.

perhaps we will some whr in switzerland if u travelling next wk
    have fun

That's very helpful, definitely will take a look.
    If you are visiting Jungfrau region, I would suggest to stay at Lauterbrunnen or better, Wengen/Murren. Much better view than Interlaken.

Thanks! I came back already in last week, still organizing my photos
    Went to Zurich->Lucerne->Mt Titlis->Interlaken->Grindelwald->Brenzersee & Thunersee->Zermatt->Gornergrat->Trockener Steg->St Moritz(Glacier Express)->Zurich
    Wasted around 1 day at Zurich, since my new AF-S 18-35 was damaged with water, went to Egg, Nikon service centre for repair, in the end still can't be recovered...
    FYI, bought a replacement at Zurich, S$1100, much more expensive than Singapore...