Thread: Seeking advice for music artist who wants to use my images

Post Seeking advice for music artist who wants to use my images

Dear all,

I was approached by a music band in London who wants to use my images in their upcoming album.

I included the main points of the email below:

We have just finished our third album and we shall be self-releasing it later this year. I am writing to you to ask whether you would consider and hopefully be interested in giving us permission to use your images as the sole artwork for our album?

I'm hoping of course that you will see this as an opportunity to collaborate creatively together, and I certainly hope that by us using your images that your photography can be given some extra exposure.

It may be a case of using one image, or if the idea I have in mind can come to fruition then i'd actually like to create a small booklet that accompanies the album, containing the album details, information and numerous photographs from the one set you have titled 'XYZ'.

So that you can find out a bit more about us, our music, previous releases and info can be found by following these web addresses.
    There are also many videos (both live footage and directed) on YouTube.

www.xyz.com

Thanks for reading, I sincerely hope to hear from you so that we may be able to discuss this further.
    Feel free to message me here or perhaps more directly would be at:

xyz@hotmail.co.uk

I am a hobbyist who started photography last year. Therefore I am not quite sure what I could ask or negotiate for (monetary, exclusivity, license, misuse prevention and protection etc…).

I wish to know the industry standard for similar request and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Default Re: Seeking advice for music artist who wants to use my images

'self-releasing' means these are independent artists, means no money to pay you. If they have money, they prefer to spend it on beer or new music instruments.That's the industry standard. The music industry is as bad as the photo industry. With youtube and internet age everyone is a self recording star, out of the countless stars in the sky that nobody gives a hoot about.

I had helped similarly a local musician, the terms is for his self promotional usage, non commercial, but he went on to using it for his album sales (commercial) and still came back to ask for more help which of course I couldn't find the time as real work kept me busy. I didn't even bring up the misuse or give a **** coz I don't think his album sells, his just chasing a dream so I let him be.

In another occasion I helped another musician which was mutually beneficial cause we barter trade to use her music for my website and her music genre fits.

I guess you could help if you are feeling kind, but forget about that promise of 'exposure', its old and boring. Who knows your flickr account probably give them more exposure than their youtube account gives yours.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

There a YouTube link posted in KPT from Matt Granger on "don't give ur work free".

From the message it seem that looking to use ur image foc and as a "exposure" for payment.

they are just looking for some free photos to use.

if this makes you feel great by helping them, then just go ahead and do whatever you like. but please don't put any expectation one this, you will only attract more such "deals" at most.

btw, you do know that photography take times to learn and the skills take times to build, so does the business aspects of photography.
    and if you keen to make money from photos without the headache about where to sell, how to sell and all negotiate for monetary, exclusivity, license, misuse prevention and protection blar blar blar, the easiest way is to sign up with stock photo agencies.
    but than again, your couple of hundreds of images selling together with billions of photos, most of them are stunning, you need to have some realistic expectation of returns.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Etude View Post
    I am a hobbyist who started photography last year. Therefore I am not quite sure what I could ask or negotiate for (monetary, exclusivity, license, misuse prevention and protection etc…).
    http://asmp.org/tutorials/licensing-guide.html

Good luck

------

Yup, if you happen to like their music and think you can profit from that in some way, a barter trade like sjackal mentioned is an option (assuming they aren't a full-time band and don't have a real $ budget for this). Quid pro quo. Ask for a license to use their music for whatever usage you think you can benefit from.

Thanks everyone for taking your valuable time to advise and share. Much appreciated.
    Thanks for the links as well.

I sort of know what to expect. Will check with the artist and see what he can offer and negotiate from there.

Best Regards

Structure your deal so you get x cents per album sold or something.
    low risk for them and passive income for you
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    Structure your deal so you get x cents per album sold or something.
    low risk for them and passive income for you
    Many thanks for your input