Thread: Nikon d700 or d610 or Pentax k3

Default Nikon d700 or d610 or Pentax k3

due to budget the above are about the same price. which is the best ,ls give some adcise

Default Re: Nikon d700 or d610 or Pentax k3

Quote Originally Posted by vincent56 View Post
    due to budget the above are about the same price. which is the best ,ls give some adcise

There is no best but one that meets your needs.Diplomatically all stated models can perform.
    I suggest you read the online reviews and youtube videos and form your own opinion.As they say it's
    not the camera but the person behind it,that said you should check the history of the brands and their technological progression.As it is Canon and Nikon are the big boys and have their systems covered while Pentax is a long time player with it's own innovations.Visit the Pentax/Ricoh forum here for more info about the K3 and it's photo output and user's comments. Good luck.

They are all crop sensor cameras aimed at the serious amateurs/professionals. If you google more aboout K-3, it has recently won many awards (DPR Poll, TheCameraStore 2nd best camera of the year, bla bla bla)

You can look at more reviews here, all of which says K-3 is a very remarkable DSLR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNG0DsX6Rno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obRn__ZBq2A

However, you also need to think about other disadvantages/advantages for each brand and see which one is more fitted for you. Pentax still uses the K mount that allow users to mount film era lenses without an adapter and probably still with AF. Nikon is a bigger brand and is more common, probably can source for lenses/bodies more easily. These are just examples of the differences which you may consider before choosing each camera.

Alternatively, like what One Eye Jack has said, you can visit the different sub-forums, Ricoh-Pentax for example here to see how much Pentaxians love the K-3. You can also view famous landscape photographer Edutilos' and Fengwei's reviews of the K-3 here and here respectively. All the best for your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    Hi I am new here but I do not think the D700 and D610 are crop sensor cameras they are both full frame right?
    Yes they are full frame but one is older and have half the megapixels of newer D610.24mp vs 12mp.
    The general preference is if shooting portraits then FF has an advantage,shallower depth of field but if like shooting birds or sports crop sensor has longer reach because of 1.5X crop factor.Which translate to the cost of equivalent lens in FF.
    So there you go but crop sensor can do portraits as well,it's just the details...which may
    not be that important if you are not a pro.

http://dennisberti.com/photography-n...nds-on-review/

http://versus.com/en/nikon-d610-vs-nikon-d700
    Last edited by one eye jack; 26th February 2014 at 02:11 AM.

What is your priority?

To summarize - if I were to pick between D700 and D610, I would go for the newer camera. So the decision really seems to boil down to APS-C versus FF.

I have stuck with my APS-C despite some very tempting offerings from Canon and Nikon (especially Canon 8-16 FE). Why? The weight. Good lenses that make the best of FF capabilities for the landscape segment are expensive, heavy and cumbersome. Like it or not. If your priority is landscapes, then I personally think it depends on what lenses you want to get. APS-C and FF aren't that far off.

If your priority is related to HIGH ISO PERFORMANCE or SHALLOW DOF, then you should just get a FF. Be prepared to lug around some weight for the good and fast lenses that will help you maximize FF capabilities in that aspect.

Reach-wise I agree with one eye jack that it's probably more economical to go for APS-C but you can also do birding shots with FF. In general FF's benefits will not depart from low light performance and/or DOF control.

It's actually much simpler than most people think, if you keep it practical. Of course, if you bring in all sorts of intangible aspects like "wa, I like this FF camera's heaviness makes me feel very happy to shoot because it seems more pro", or "I like big lenses" or just that inexplicable feeling that you have fallen in love with a particular body and you two shall never be apart.. Then that complicates things. Happy choosing!
    Last edited by edutilos-; 26th February 2014 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCarnicero View Post
    Hi I am new here but I do not think the D700 and D610 are crop sensor cameras they are both full frame right?
    Yeah they are FF cameras. Mixed up the numbers. Personally not a Nikon user. In this case I would reccomend the K-3 even more since APSC is much more portable. FF is not for everyone.

Define best. To me and the way I like to shoot, I find Fullframe camera is best for me, but that is me only, I am not sure about you and the way you shoot... Camera format is not just about the price, there are many thing to it, like;

1) Do you need Fullframe
    2) Do you need the crop factor
    3) the style of your shoot
    4) Personal preferences
    5) etc.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

If you dun need a FX, the pentax K3 is a very good cam in the APSC arena.

If you really want to go into FX, then I will suggest the newer cam - Nikon D610. Do bear in mind that going into FX doesn't mean just buying the cam itself, it also mean that you will need to invest quite a fair bit of money in FX lenses which generally is more costly than DX lenses.
    In the eyes of the beholder!

D700 is really an old model and since been replaced with D610. Are you referring to Canon 70D? Depending on what you shoot, you might end up having to spend more than just the body and kit lens, so if there's a budget, you need work in other things as well.

There are plenty of supposedly independent reviews out there. Cheers.

What lenses do you have?

now no lens

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    Yes they are full frame but one is older and have half the megapixels of newer D610.24mp vs 12mp.
    The general preference is if shooting portraits then FF has an advantage,shallower depth of field but if like shooting birds or sports crop sensor has longer reach because of 1.5X crop factor.Which translate to the cost of equivalent lens in FF.
    So there you go but crop sensor can do portraits as well,it's just the details...which may
    not be that important if you are not a pro.

http://dennisberti.com/photography-n...nds-on-review/

http://versus.com/en/nikon-d610-vs-nikon-d700
    For birding and sports, APS-C do give you more reach. But when shutter speed is a consideration, FF is the way to go. Especially for birding, where you need very fast shutter speeds to freeze motion, and sometimes birds hang out in less than ideal lighting conditions.

The D610 has much better high iso performance . Have a look at the well known review ( preview) website , and compare the raw for both cameras. If you look for image quality, the D610 is a clear winner. On the other hand, the K3 stores images directly in DNG format , which I like very much. I would personally always choose a full frame if I have the option, there are many reasons for it. But, of course, this is only my personal opinion, and there is no right or wrong. At the end, it comes down to you preferences , and which strength and weaknesses count for you.