Thread: Camera suitable for kids?

Default Camera suitable for kids?

Hi bro,

My 6 yrs old gal seems to be quite interested in my hobbies i.e. photography and golf. So I thought might as well have a common activities together and at the same time, create more bonding as she grow up. (well, you know kids these days.....)

For photography, would like to know what type of camera should i go for? DSLR or compact point & shoot? DSLR seems to be too heavy and complex for her age, isn't it?

Hope to hear from the experienced bros here and recommendations, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Golagislow View Post
    Hi bro,

My 6 yrs old gal seems to be quite interested in my hobbies i.e. photography and golf. So I thought might as well have a common activities together and at the same time, create more bonding as she grow up. (well, you know kids these days.....)

For photography, would like to know what type of camera should i go for? DSLR or compact point & shoot? DSLR seems to be too heavy and complex for her age, isn't it?

Hope to hear from the experienced bros here and recommendations, thanks.
    Iphone, or any camera phone? I'm serious, can play games also. Xperia z1 compact (launching soon in sg) seems like a good camera phone, with dedicated camera button. Your daughter drop phone into toilet also no worries
    hi

Default Re: Camera suitable for kids?

2nd hand superzoom bridge cam. Camera will look exactly like yours but lighter

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    2nd hand superzoom bridge cam. Camera will look exactly like yours but lighter
    Thanks, which model I should go for? Where can I get a 2nd hand?

Someone just posted wts canon SX40 HS. Can check that out

I agree with the canon..

Not iPhone as they play games then they forget about the camera.

You want to train her photography, not gaming..
    Check my website for inspiration!
    www.thebigshot.com.sg

Sony RX10?
    [Sony α850|KM17-35|85ZA]

Nokia 1020... great starting camera, have manual control over almost all variable (except for aperture). I find that it is one of the best choice out there.

With the optional battery grip, it handle like a PnS camera with manual control and even came with a tripod hole to fit to tripod. Its sensor size is bigger than most PnS and had amazing resolution, great low light ISO, xenon flash, etc... And came in three color (black, white and yellow).

Last edited by rhino123; 24th February 2014 at 08:47 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Thanks for all the adv here. I just got 1 from the IT Expo yesterday. Thou not a very fantastic set but guess good and light enough of her to gain interest. Bought the Fujiflim SL300.

Thanks for all the adv here. I just got 1 from the IT Expo yesterday. Thou not a very fantastic set but guess good and light enough of her to gain interest. Bought the Fujiflim SL300.
    How much did you pay for it?

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    How much did you pay for it?
    I paid $349 for it with spare batt n bag. The rest of the freebies are junks... Hahaha...

wow! if i were you, i will get a light weight dslr (2nd hand). at least you wont feel so heart pain if it dropped or spoil.

Well... as long as TS had already bought the camera and he/she found that it is worth it, then it is worth it.

To TS, hope that you and your child will have incredible time together enjoying the same hobby. It is a great way to bond with your kids.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by shootstrong View Post
    I dont recommend camera phone. Phone has radiation although there's still debate for this. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Phones have Airplane Mode.
    But please don't forget to switch off your phone of you are next to your child while shooting. And switch of WiFi at home, too .. Better to be safe... right?
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by shootstrong View Post

I dont recommend camera phone. Phone has radiation although there's still debate for this. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Then don't use a mobile phone at all... even for answering calls and stuff like that. Because it has radiation. Make sure that others with mobile phone don't get close to your children too, their phone has radiation too.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Well... as long as TS had already bought the camera and he/she found that it is worth it, then it is worth it.

To TS, hope that you and your child will have incredible time together enjoying the same hobby. It is a great way to bond with your kids.
    Yes, agreed. More importantly is the bonding we want to create so that we will not (hopefully) drift apart as she get older.

Yes, agreed. More importantly is the bonding we want to create so that we will not (hopefully) drift apart as she get older.
    Agreed with what you said. There is no firm rules that you must do this or buy this. As long both happy, that's more important!

The Uber Lego Camera