Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Smart advertising?

  1. #1
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Smart advertising?

    Is this kind of advertising legal here? (or anywhere?)

    http://gizmodo.com/dhl-pranked-ups-i...hem-1526964505

    I better paste the content in case kena scolding again...

    DHL hired companies like UPS and TNT to deliver large black boxes to addresses that were particularly difficult to find. But the boxes weren't actually black. Instead, they were covered with a temperature-activated ink that appeared black when the boxes were chilled to sub-zero temperatures at the time of pickup. But as they warmed up in the back of delivery trucks, the black ink faded revealing a large message on the side of the boxes boasting that "DHL is faster."

  2. #2
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    There's no law prohibiting that kind of advertisement... Besides, I think it's cheaper and more effective compared to conventional way.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

  3. #3

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    you probably cant do that in Singapore, but in USA, Coke always make fun of Pepsi and vice versa.
    Objection !!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member richiemccaw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,101

    Default

    Brilliant ad.. Haha

  5. #5
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    you probably cant do that in Singapore, but in USA, Coke always make fun of Pepsi and vice versa.
    Umm.. why can't lei? Can enlighten us?
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

  6. #6
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Is this kind of advertising legal here? (or anywhere?)

    http://gizmodo.com/dhl-pranked-ups-i...hem-1526964505

    I better paste the content in case kena scolding again...

    DHL hired companies like UPS and TNT to deliver large black boxes to addresses that were particularly difficult to find. But the boxes weren't actually black. Instead, they were covered with a temperature-activated ink that appeared black when the boxes were chilled to sub-zero temperatures at the time of pickup. But as they warmed up in the back of delivery trucks, the black ink faded revealing a large message on the side of the boxes boasting that "DHL is faster."

    See....was it so difficult...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  7. #7
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    Quote Originally Posted by richiemccaw1 View Post
    Brilliant ad.. Haha
    "DHL is faster.

    But you enjoy more with UPS and TNT.

    Because we are slower."

  8. #8
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    See....was it so difficult...
    Noted with thanks.

  9. #9
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    849

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    "DHL is faster.

    But you enjoy more with UPS and TNT.

    Because we are slower."
    Even DHL entrusted us to deliver their advertisement.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    it's not done by DHL, it's another creative company doing it as part of their competition

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    Instead, it was the result of an internal creative competition held by a German ad agency calledJung von Matt.
    What is unknown is whether DHL had rewarded Jung von Matt in advance (or post-event some time later) with advertising contracts.

    It may not have the intended effect.

    Some members of the public may consider this a low class trick, unbecoming of major corporations. It can backfire on DHL.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    Umm.. why can't lei? Can enlighten us?
    If you're old enough to remember the Sony Walkman, you might remember the brand war between Sony and National...
    Sony Walkman's tagline - The world's smallest stereo
    National developed the National Way - Smaller than the world's smallest stereo
    Sony developed an even smaller model - No Way can anyone make one smaller (or something close)
    ..so on it went, with both sides splurging on full-page ads etc.

    After one of these brand wars 4As (the local ad agency association) stepped in and said enough is enough, and ads shouldn't be openly deriding other brands.
    I think it's been relatively peaceful since, though there are the odd skirmishes. Besides, this kind of brand war is pretty expensive, and probably not in keeping with the brand image most of these companies want to project, esp the Japanese ones.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

    What is unknown is whether DHL had rewarded Jung von Matt in advance (or post-event some time later) with advertising contracts.

    It may not have the intended effect.

    Some members of the public may consider this a low class trick, unbecoming of major corporations. It can backfire on DHL.
    To us and businesses, it may be more like a laugh.

    To their shareholders and PR agencies, it might be a headache

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    it is a jungle out there, folks.
    only the fittest, cunningest, creativest,.....would survive. LOL

  15. #15
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Smart advertising?

    ....we hv to constantly outwit one another....trolls against trolls calling others trolls.... LOL

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •