Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    Hi guys, I'm interested to take some macro shots for leisure and would like to get a lens for my d7100.
    Have quite a few lenses already so would not be looking into telephoto use but instead a lens dedicated for macro!
    Am interested in the tamron 180mm f3.5 or the sigma 150mm f2.8 as i'm on a budget.

    Do offer your kind advice, thanks!

  2. #2
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeguang Dave Tan View Post
    Hi guys, I'm interested to take some macro shots for leisure and would like to get a lens for my d7100.
    Have quite a few lenses already so would not be looking into telephoto use but instead a lens dedicated for macro!
    Am interested in the tamron 180mm f3.5 or the sigma 150mm f2.8 as i'm on a budget.

    Do offer your kind advice, thanks!
    They are both good lenses. But why not the Nikon's 105mm? I don't think that lens is too expensive either. However, I would also recommend the Raynox 250 (which is a clip on filter lens)... it is very good and cost around 2xx in Singapore only. This is by far one of the most budget you can get.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Singapore when back at home
    Posts
    813

    Default

    The Tamron 180mm & Sigma 150mm are good lenses. They are quite big & heavy too. Not to mention with a longer minimum focus distance

    You may want give the Tamron SP 90mm & Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR a look. Both are sharp & reasonably priced. Smaller size & very close focus distance too.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    They are both good lenses. But why not the Nikon's 105mm? I don't think that lens is too expensive either. However, I would also recommend the Raynox 250 (which is a clip on filter lens)... it is very good and cost around 2xx in Singapore only. This is by far one of the most budget you can get.
    Like what bro rhino123 suggest, you should try the Raynox 250 or even the 150, and maybe try Extension tubes too if you're on a tight budget.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    i would suggest Tamron 90mm

  6. #6

    Default Re: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    Thanks guys! The reason why I am not looking at the 90mm etc is due to the working distance as I prefer to have sufficient distance away from my target (: I'm really thankful for the suggestion of the Raynox lens converter and will definitely look into it! Thanks all (:

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeguang Dave Tan View Post
    Thanks guys! The reason why I am not looking at the 90mm etc is due to the working distance as I prefer to have sufficient distance away from my target (: I'm really thankful for the suggestion of the Raynox lens converter and will definitely look into it! Thanks all (:
    You may want to note that when using raynox 250, your working distance is either same or lesser then what Tamron 90mm offers... (using it on my 50mm gives me about 11 to 12 cm, while telephoto dist of >150mm is lesser then 5 cm.)

    btw, Are you shooting butterflies?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  8. #8

    Default Re: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    Oh my, I thought only max aperature affected, didn't remb that working distance will be reduced just like extension tubes.. hmm thanks for the heads up! Will be likely shooting butterflies and other non creepy insects. No spiders lol.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeguang Dave Tan View Post
    Oh my, I thought only max aperature affected, didn't remb that working distance will be reduced just like extension tubes.. hmm thanks for the heads up! Will be likely shooting butterflies and other non creepy insects. No spiders lol.
    Max aperture isn't affected when you attach raynox on the lens

    f1.8 is still f1.8, but expect way lesser dof due to the macro focusing distance. That said, I'm usually using at least f11 to 16 on my raynox and lens combo.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Max aperture isn't affected when you attach raynox on the lens

    f1.8 is still f1.8, but expect way lesser dof due to the macro focusing distance. That said, I'm usually using at least f11 to 16 on my raynox and lens combo.
    Oh, so max aperature & working distance affected for lens with extension tube while working distance affected for raydox? Hmmm then isn't raydox much more superior than extension tubes?

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeguang Dave Tan View Post

    Oh, so max aperature & working distance affected for lens with extension tube while working distance affected for raydox? Hmmm then isn't raydox much more superior than extension tubes?
    Not say superior... extension tubes have no extra glass element to further degrade the image quality. But loses one stop of light and cheaper ext tubes do not allow electronic communications, so you may lose aperture control from the camera

    Raynox have extra glass element, that potentially degrade the image quality. But still maintains electronic aperture control That said, raynox glass element is quite good.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  12. #12

    Default Re: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Not say superior... extension tubes have no extra glass element to further degrade the image quality. But loses one stop of light and cheaper ext tubes do not allow electronic communications, so you may lose aperture control from the camera

    Raynox have extra glass element, that potentially degrade the image quality. But still maintains electronic aperture control That said, raynox glass element is quite good.
    I see, thanks alot for the information! it's really helpful (:

  13. #13
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    If you want to increase working distance from the subject get the 150mm or 180mm

  14. #14

    Default

    do note for raynox you only have limited focusing range and also depends on the lens you attached to. Between raynox and a second hand tamron I would top up $100+ more and get tamron. It can be used as a general 90mm lens too other than macro.

    For still objects raynox is fine but not so sure for moving objects.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    Do check out Dxomark for reviews/ratings/

  16. #16
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    do note for raynox you only have limited focusing range and also depends on the lens you attached to. Between raynox and a second hand tamron I would top up $100+ more and get tamron. It can be used as a general 90mm lens too other than macro.

    For still objects raynox is fine but not so sure for moving objects.
    Using any closeup lens filter like the Raynox, would cause the user to lost the ability to focus to infinity. For macro usage, I find that not too much of a problem because (for me) I will normally to close to the subject anyway.

    Yes, it can be a bit tough if your subject is moving.


    Quote Originally Posted by kaelphotography View Post
    Do check out Dxomark for reviews/ratings/
    What is your point? DXOmark suddenly becoming the bible to photography and equipment?
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  17. #17

    Default Re: Need help as to which macro lens to buy!

    A++ for the Nikon 105 / 2.8. Fantastic lens . Not to forget, if you ever want to sell it again, the Nikon lens holds the value, while Sigma/Tamron and so on depreciate to sub-zero the moment you unpack it.

    P.S. DXOmark is kind of the bible for lenses ( if you know how to read and understand MPF diagrams) , the only problem is , most people don't understand what is written in there ( and that counts for DXO and the Bible ;-) ) I like the fact that DXO mark publishes lots of raw data , however, I don't always agree with the conclusion they draw.
    Last edited by Achim Reh; 1st March 2014 at 06:33 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •