Thread: Simple shot in Singapore

Talking Simple shot in Singapore

Name:  1464642_10152191185602591_2004360954_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  58.3 KB

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Is the composition and colours okay?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To contrast the smooth gentle blue sky and waters against the rigidity of the wood in the foreground.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    This photo was taken at around 6-7am in the morning for sunrise.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
    I personally like the blue feel about it but had received a comment about it that it is far too blue.

Thanks alot in advance!

Default Re: Simple shot in Singapore

All the verticals in the banister lead the eyes to the far right - away from the open scenery. That seems distracting to me
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

I see, hmm true to that! Do you think I should totally not include the railings or include only a small part of it?

The leading lines of the railing to the jetty is a good idea, try different angles so that the lines don't lead the viewer out of the image. The big clump of trees at top right is distracting,
    Colour temperature may be too cool here, you can try a warmer colour temperature. Parts of the sky have blown highlights, watch the exposure, and also try to capture greater textures and tones in the sky.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    The leading lines of the railing to the jetty is a good idea, try different angles so that the lines don't lead the viewer out of the image. The big clump of trees at top right is distracting,
    Colour temperature may be too cool here, you can try a warmer colour temperature. Parts of the sky have blown highlights, watch the exposure, and also try to capture greater textures and tones in the sky.
    Wow you're right! Sorry but how did you make the tree disappear haha, I'm still studying GIMP but everything still looks complicated :X

Quote Originally Posted by Zeguang Dave Tan View Post
    Wow you're right! Sorry but how did you make the tree disappear haha, I'm still studying GIMP but everything still looks complicated :X
    use the clone tool to clone away part of the tree and replace it with the sky
    Photoscape is less complicated than GIMP and also has the clone tool.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

use the clone tool to clone away part of the tree and replace it with the sky
    Photoscape is less complicated than GIMP and also has the clone tool.
    Got it! Thanks alot

WOW Mod Zaren's take of the shot is amazing. Quite a good attempt, but I feel the foreground (fence) is very distracting. Maybe can put the camera a bit higher so there will be some foreground but subject will be focused on the water and jetty.

Deregistered

ya, always like the Zaren's versions

Thank you all for your kind remarks and comments! (:

overall nice pic, although i don't really know what the focal point is

Nice picture. But maybe you can try practicing using the "rule of third" to get more interesting pictures in the future.
    Keep going!

http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Deregistered

On further thoughts, maybe should capture it when the sun is not totally down. Then its amber glow would hv enhanced the mainly blue space and also bring focus to the hut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jabronian View Post
    Nice picture. But maybe you can try practicing using the "rule of third" to get more interesting pictures in the future.
    Keep going!
    The picture is already using rule of thirds... though not as obvious at first sight.

to the TS, the railing in the foreground destroys the entire picture. It really does not work for me. Find a better angle for that structure. Venture out a little more and you can shoot it unobstructed.

Be careful about the composition, with the railing in the foreground and sticking out right at the center of the frame, it steals the viewer's attention away from the subjects behind. The blurred trees and mast on the sailboats suggest that you shot this with a rather long exposure on tripod? If so, use a smaller aperture to get a sharper image. If you have something really near (like the railings in this case), practise hyperfocal distance to obtain better sharpness. Keep shooting
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Be careful about the composition, with the railing in the foreground and sticking out right at the center of the frame, it steals the viewer's attention away from the subjects behind. The blurred trees and mast on the sailboats suggest that you shot this with a rather long exposure on tripod? If so, use a smaller aperture to get a sharper image. If you have something really near (like the railings in this case), practise hyperfocal distance to obtain better sharpness. Keep shooting
    As you mentioned, the masts and trees are blurred due to long exposure (motion blur). Using a smaller aperture will not make them sharper. Only a faster shutter speed can freeze those moving objects.

Hi bro daredevil, sorry I wasn't being specific enough. I was actually implying that he shot the scene on tripod, so no worries reducing the aperture to get a wider DOF. Not a choice for hand-held though. The level of blurness in the foreground element seems to me that he shot wide open. Just to clarify, bad on my part.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 7th April 2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]