Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: hi~ and needing help to look for that cute lil film camera!

Manual still have mechanical and electronics. Even hybrid electro-mechanic to make u even more confused. hehehe. Which one u want? how many pieces? or kilos? Garentee eat somemore.

Quote Originally Posted by Yin
    say... buy auto first... or manual first... i'm dying trying to decide...
    another concern: i'm planning to take B/W photographs too somewhere along the line... but it seems that i can't use any filters for rollei prego 90? *stumped*
    Nope.. You can't exactly mount filters on the Prego 90.. It's meant to be a P&S... And an extremely full featured one at that..
    I mean.. Which other P&S has user selectable +/- 3 ev exposure compensation, force focus to infinity, backlighting compensation, slow-sync flash etc...

it's now the call of the heart VS function!
    i REALLY need to hold them
    it's OOT but i wonder how long will it take for mumps to go away? [.....]

Do u need something able to change lens, set difference aperture/speed for creativity since u are an artist. Many P&S can't do that...

Quote Originally Posted by Yin
    it's now the call of the heart VS function!
    i REALLY need to hold them
    it's OOT but i wonder how long will it take for mumps to go away? [.....]

whoelse>i'm aiming to take almost spontaneous photographs of people, animals, or events around me. those are things that i cannot capture with drawing on the spot if it's something like zoo animals or sceneries that i can observe for a long period, i'll whip out my skethbook!

now looking at that kind of need, i know that p&s sounds more doable... but i WANT to learn to use manual cameras as well... and i can only buy ONE camera for now! argh?!

and your budget? ask yr bf to sponser abit lah.

whoelse>i'm hoping to get something below 250.(budgeting done after i compared average prices of the different camera models) if it's THE camera that i NEED and it goes a little over that budget, i'll probably consider about it. thoughts of getting a nikon is more to the economical point of view(the lenses... the lenses...) and i'll only ask him to sponsor me after he starts working someday :"p not yet not yet!

thinking of getting a rollei prego 90 first before i save up more money for a manual set... i have the whole house against me in buying a film camera(only my brother was willing to sponsor me a bit ) all except that brother of mine are pushing me to get a digital camera

S$250 is possible to get the MX with decent lens mah.

but will manual hinder me from taking quick snaps? people around me are frightening me with negative points

Default before you choose

Too many opinions given to you.
    Confusing.
    I have owned prego 90. From my experience, it maybe not best for you.

Believe it or not, some of the correct recommendations made by many nice members to you were :

Manual cams:
    Pentax MX
    Nikon FM10 (or better still FM or FE) (FM2/FE2/FM3a a bit expensive)
    Yashica FX3 (cheap but can take CZ lens)

Point and shoots:
    Yashica T4 (or 5)
    Contax T3 ( but very costly) or Contax T2
    Ricoh GR1
    Olympus Mju II

You may not be able to see why now, but these are the right ones.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 21st June 2005 at 12:17 AM.

ricohflex>thanks a lot for the narrow-down! pentax MX is definitely the one that i'm lusting after, but now i'm torn between manual or point and shoot... i cannot and will not get both at once. only 1 will go into my bag~

honestly, which one will suit my need? *drools at that pentax*

i'm causing so much trouble for everyone just to pick my camera so sorry > 3<
    and they aren't even expensive(thousands of dollars) ones too to really fuss over i just want to adopt one that will be my good friend for long time to come

Holy brocolli... u guys r fast in replies...thx v much fr ur hlp guys!
    im using internet in my room on TV... the screen is freakin me out.. like... soething that is over 900 pixels is being squeezed into a 640x480 pix tv... sheesh.. u guys gotta see...
    anyway... currently im using a pns camera made by minolta that maybe not many of u guys heard b4... its called Minolta TC-1... wonder of that name rings any bell... but tats deffinitely outta her budget...
    my dear, im also a film shooter, mind u... juz tat im currently using digital fr d sake of convenience...
    i remember reading someone who suggested about f80... i haf 1 currently... n i do plan to lend yin d camera if she needs it...
    i do hope she could get a manual cam... so that at least i could lay my hands on it too... *evil grin* hopefully a nikon FM.. *wider evil grin* but that woud hafta depends on her liking too... even though i s2arted off with digital, i still haf a strong opinion that nothing beats the feel of film photography... (if i countinue, thiswould go OOT)
    fr those who offer help to accompany us to some store, that would seeriously b a nice idea... i can look fwd to that... i did see this store in peninsula plaza, along the same corridor as CS, that has a HUGE collection of 2nd hand cams... fascinating... i do hope to b able to go 2here n take a look...
    hmm... i'll discuss with her further regarding this matter... hopefully i would b able to settle my business here soon n return back to my home n take a look at the cams...

thx guys!

ricohflex>checked on yashica T4 and it looks like quite a challenging camera to use! although it'll be rewarding once tamed... interesting!

detrop>what? you're missing the cam more than me? huh? huh??? if i'm to get myself a manual camera huh... i'm thinking pentax mx... but i'll have to touch them first!!!

Yin, from what you have said, I am inclined to think that a PnS is most suitable for you since you are thinking of taking those fleeting moments, probably to sketch later on. With that in mind, perhaps you should not concern yourself too much on manual cameras with bulky lenses that might hinder you. These cameras, while giving much more superior pictures, require you to have them in your hand all the time as it takes quite a bit of fiddling to get them out of the bag (additionally you will have to bring a camera bag with you).

I have an F90 with about 5 lenses that has been sitting in the dry cabinet for almost 3 yrs, since my son was born. my point being, if photography is not your main hobby, it will not be the first thing you think of carrying out of the house and that means loosing those possible 'kodak moments'.

Anyway, just to add another camera to your list, during the 35mm zoom PnS craze at my work place about 7-8 yrs back, there was this camera that was highly touted by camera savy colleagues...it was the Pentax Espio 28-105. At that time it was one of the better cameras with a very useful zoom range on a compact. The only grouse, if I remember correctly, was that the view finder was a little small.
    Whatever the case, hope you find the camera that is most suitable to your lifestyle.
    Oh, and take care. Hope you recover soon.

MDZ2>you have a very good point there. discussed it further with detrop, and he said since we're getting a manual(he's letting me use his p&s for the time being) it'll be either my much lusted after pentax mx, or nikon FE or FM series. checked out pentax espio series and it sounds really interesting! maybe i'll try out those p&s cameras when i drop by to the shop. made a list in my note!

i hate having to quarantine myself at home for the whole week... i have to settle some important documents during my short stay in singapore, and this certainly crippled me thanks for the well-wishes!

FM10/FE/FM uses CdS meter that are less accurate then silicon base... FE2/FM2 uses SPD meter. FE is electronics and FM is mechanical. Not bad a camera.

MX is mechanical and there is another ME Super which is slightly smaller/cheaper and plentiful then the MX but electronics like the FE2. MX is introduced as pro model (mechnical able to use in harsh condition) while ME Super is prosumer. Still lotsa fun to use.

But then, to be honest. Chemistry and ergonomy play a part too. U need to hold one and see whether it fit yr style, handling etc. Otherwise, they are all tools and each user has their own preference. Bottom line still.... one camera is never enuf haha.

i agree with whoelse... one might end up spending more than what he nitially planned.. ehhehe.. but yeah, lending her my tc-1 means i hafta get a strap or another waist pocket fr my lca...
    btw, is pentax mx still in production or has it been stopped?
    i wonder if fm10 or fe10 is sufficient... or even pentax mx...

MX is a classic produced in 1976...older than many people here but it uses LR/SR44 batteries and GPD cell for meter. It's metal, small and light and well suitable for lady user. Being introduce as pro, there are databacks, changeable screens etc. Fully mechanical slr and can be easily service or CLA at prime, TCW, camera hospital, Ron and other camera shops. It's about the size of Olympus OM series. Pentax SMC lens are also famous for it's 7-layers coating. It's a join development with Contax hence it was also use to benchmark against Leica and Contax lens.

Best, they are cheaper then Nikon/Canon. Easily adapt to M42 with Pentax original adapter with no optical correction.

I'm never a supporter of camera using CdS cell. All modern camera uses SPD or similar technology. Consumer camera like Ricoh KR-5 super II, FM-10, probably FE-10 (all made by cosina n plastic body) and older camera like Spotmatic uses CdS. The Silicon cell replace them with good reasons. Try using a CdS and SPD/GPD camera and compare their accuracy and sensitivity. Especially low light, the CdS is not very responsive.

But then camera is like pencil to an artist or car for a driver. Each has it's preference, just bare in mind that MX or original FM are quite a old camera. They are still exist and working meaning they are reliable. I dun usually CLA when I aquire a old camera unless there is fault. I use until they need to CLA then I will send to the workshop. Afterthat, probably it will work w/o problem for the next 20yrs and probably outlast us until when we die, our grandson throw them as trash or sell to cashconverter for $20

Oh, the original FM uses CdS too.

Beside MX, there is one more classic. KX it's big brother. But MX will fit lady hand nicer, KX is about the size of FM.
    -

-

-

-
    Last edited by whoelse; 21st June 2005 at 09:11 PM.

whoelse>pentax mx is now my target! what's left now is to wait for dear detrop to hop over to singapore! (and to play with it to make sure that it's really what i feel it would be )

i'm dying for a camera. saw a very, VERY good subject on the way home... but no camera! just CSI season 1 in a plastic bag.

thank you for all the kind help from everyone! i hope my photographs won't be much of a dissapointment(though i know it most probably will be? hahaha)

Default mx

whoelse,

I agree with you on all the good qualities of the MX.
    Can do me a favour? Bid for two (mint or good condition) MXs for me on e-Bay and when delivered, I pay you in full including whatever shipment or insurance charges.
    No kidding.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast