Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

I am slowly digesting all these different terms and info. I will be looking at canon's 100D.

As for Olympus, will look at the EP5. EM1 is out of my budget. Prefer to get Oly too since there is international warranty. Any other Oly models to consider?

edit: is this a worthwhile promotion? I can trade in my super old casio digicam for this I guess: http://home.olympusimage.com.sg/ois/...ds/ad_3215.pdf
    Last edited by dysfunktional; 18th February 2014 at 03:34 PM.
    Canon 400D User + 18 - 55mm IS + 50mm f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional View Post
    I am slowly digesting all these different terms and info. I will be looking at canon's 100D.

As for Olympus, will look at the EP5. EM1 is out of my budget. Prefer to get Oly too since there is international warranty. Any other Oly models to consider?

edit: is this a worthwhile promotion? I can trade in my super old casio digicam for this I guess: http://home.olympusimage.com.sg/ois/...ds/ad_3215.pdf
    Actually I think EPL6 is a good choice, I believe the EPL6 and EP5 shared the same or very similar sensor group. The price difference is pretty significant. With EPL5 you save quite a bit of money that can be utilized to get yourself a good tripod.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

When I bought my EPL6 from courts, they didn't even ask me for a trade in, and I got it for the trade-in price.
    Just give it a shot, I like my EPL6.

Okay will go to a shop and try all before I head off to GZ.

In any case, if I do go for Olympus, should I get the new EM10? Just thinking if I should get the newest model and just use it for long. Don't intend to change camera until it dies on me or I feel it's time for an upgrade.

Also, there is no way to get an adapter to use my canon lens on Olympus body right? Still feel a little attached to my lenses.
    Canon 400D User + 18 - 55mm IS + 50mm f/1.8

Okay will go to a shop and try all before I head off to GZ.

In any case, if I do go for Olympus, should I get the new EM10? Just thinking if I should get the newest model and just use it for long. Don't intend to change camera until it dies on me or I feel it's time for an upgrade.

Also, there is no way to get an adapter to use my canon lens on Olympus body right? Still feel a little attached to my lenses.
    1) EM10 is basically a camera with a little of EM1 and a little of EM5. It is an incredible camera, very new though. Of course you could go for the EM10... or EPL6 or EP5, they are all good cameras. The main thing is... you need to go to the shop and try out these cameras to see if the ergonomic suits you.

2) You can easily get an adapter to fit your Canon lenses to your Olympus body, no problem at all... however you would lose the ability to AF and change the aperture of the lens... and I find that pretty useless.
    My lousy shots

As with all things new, they come with a heftier price tag. If you are looking at the EM10, do look at it's predecessor too, the EM5, which actually has 5 axis ibis compared to the 3 axis ibis of the EM10. The EM-5 also comes with weather sealing.
    EM5 is selling much cheaper compared to when it is first launched, and i believe could be cheaper than the EM10 now, even though the EM-10 is suppose to be a downsized version of E-M5.

And the EPL-5 or EPL-6 is much cheaper and very competent too, with the same sensor. If you get these, you can spend the money on some good lenses. You will find more photographic options from taking pictures from EPL-5/6 combined with a fast prime/zoom can be than the EM-5/EM-10 with the kit lens.

I am still using an old EPL-3 which refused to spoil, so i spend money on lenses. These cameras from olympus are solidly built, so they do last.
    Last edited by trelch; 19th February 2014 at 11:23 AM.

Yup I'm going to best denki to take a look and get a feel of it. Will report back with my findings and thoughts. Perhaps might help another in their research.

Quote Originally Posted by trelch View Post
    As with all things new, they come with a heftier price tag. If you are looking at the EM10, do look at it's predecessor too, the EM5, which actually has 5 axis ibis compared to the 3 axis ibis of the EM10. The EM-5 also comes with weather sealing.
    EM5 is selling much cheaper compared to when it is first launched, and i believe could be cheaper than the EM10 now, even though the EM-10 is suppose to be a downsized version of E-M5.

And the EPL-5 or EPL-6 is much cheaper and very competent too, with the same sensor. If you get these, you can spend the money on some good lenses. You will find more photographic options from taking pictures from EPL-5/6 combined with a fast prime/zoom can be than the EM-5/EM-10 with the kit lens.

I am still using an old EPL-3 which refused to spoil, so i spend money on lenses. These cameras from olympus are solidly built, so they do last.
    Can I ask about the difference between EM5 (EM series in general) vs the EPL-5 (EPL) series? Just want to learn more about the differences as I now know about the almost similar sensors.

Can I ask about the difference between EM5 (EM series in general) vs the EPL-5 (EPL) series? Just want to learn more about the differences as I now know about the almost similar sensors.
    The OM-D series, which includes the EM5 are build with the classic OM-D look. They usually come with advance feature such as 5 axis ibis (em10 is 3-axis) and weather sealing (Not em10).

The Pen Series, which includes the EP 5, are build with brick type sturdy classic look, and usually excludes the EVF. They do include advance feature such as 5 axis ibis, but not weather sealing.

The Pen light series, which includes the EPL-5/6, does not come with advance feature such as 5 axis ibis nor weather sealing, but they do have in body stabiliser. Hence, the cost is usually cheaper, and they are usually lighter and smaller camera. The sensor is essentially the same.

Then you also have the EPM series, which also have the same sensor, but they are very small, less customisable, but the most affordable of the whole lot. Essentially, you can take the same quality picture in good light with an EPM or OMD or Pen or Pen light, but the pricing difference is quite big for a camera body.
    Last edited by trelch; 19th February 2014 at 05:52 PM.

To actually appreciate the difference, one need to know a little of Olympus product (history).

Basically the OMD follows the OM family of old Olympus SLR system... in OMD - the D stands for digital. The EP series of camera follows to the old pen series of SLR, the E in this case stands for Electronic (or something like that).

Now... the difference of the OMD and the EP series of camera mainly lies in the following,

All OMD-EM series of cameras had build in EVF, the EM1 and EM5 have very good weather sealing, don't think the EM10 had weather sealing. The EM10 basically is like the old OM-10 (which is the basic model for the OM series of cameras). Like what Trelch had mentioned, the EM1 and EM5 both had 5 axis image stablisation system while the EM10 didn't have... and only have 3 axis.

The EP series of camera - EP series normally came with 3 main category - EP (this is the flagship of the PEN series - the EP6 came with 5 axis stabilization system like the EM5.), the EPL which stands for the EP-Lite (a slightly downgraded version of the EP series, but basically shared the same sensor), and EP-M (I think M stands for mini or something like that).

The EP series of cameras all don't have build in EVF.
    My lousy shots

or get a NEX cam with af adapter to your canon lenses.

I am thinking of getting Sony Nex 5T. Cheapest deal is $900 with case n 16gb memory. Anyone know cheaper deal?

Quote Originally Posted by tipton2010 View Post
    I am thinking of getting Sony Nex 5T. Cheapest deal is $900 with case n 16gb memory. Anyone know cheaper deal?
    That's about the price I got when I called last December from ms color. It may have dropped a bit more since A5k and A6k are coming out. Try to call more shops?

Hmmmmm.

How much are the Samsung NX system going for these days?

I've not been involved for a while, but the NX lens range still looks top notch to me:

http://www.samsung.com/global/nx/lenses/index.html
    Samsung NX10+30mm, Fuji S6500FD

bro..

go and try out the cameras from MFT vs Samsung, no one needs to tell u what to buy. 'Looks' is only 1 thing. I would place my dollars in first to last choice from MFT (Oly, Pana) to Fuji (X-series) to Sony (A, Nex series), to Pentax (Q series)to Samsung (NX) to Nikon (V & J series) then Canon (EOS M) if u r referring to mirrorless.

Is Canon eos m that bad until ranked last?
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    Is Canon eos m that bad until ranked last?
    Well, that me being me which obviously some others might disagree & might instead say the EOS M is the best camera around.

The EOS M mark II gives a marked improvement over the original M but it's not available locally. The original M's performance wasn't very good , even after the firmware upgrades. I had bought one thinking of using it as a bridge towards Canon's lens system but gave up on it after a few weeks. I feel the only reason to buy the EOS M is because someone already has a decent Canon lens setup and wishes to purchase a smaller body for play sake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12