Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

  1. #1

    Default Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Been a long time since I logged in here. *dusts off profile*

    I put aside photography because of my bulky 400D and lens, so I am still stuck in the newbie phase
    I want to get back into photography since the MFT/Mirrorless camera scene has matured a lot from the launch of the first PEN cam from Oly.

    Let's keep it concise:

    Current gear: Canon 400D with 50mm 1.8 and tamron 75-300mm len + Canon S100 (later purchase since I didn't want to lug around my dslr)
    Next camera requirement: Light weight, ability to switch lens for different shots. I like to take everything in between: travel photography, portrait (not as much i guess), toy photography, casual street snaps.
    Budget:$1.5k since it will be my first MFT and I don't want to spend a lot in case I neglect my camera again...
    Tripod: Any good one to recommend? My last tripod was a paltry $30 low quality one which came apart in pieces.. figured that I should pay more for a better one that won't break so easily. Nothing that will break the bank please.

    Other questions:

    1. How much can my current gear fetch in the BnS section? I would rate my 400D at 7/10 (wear & tear, plastic came off on this part where it's protecting, kept in camera bag where I shove lots of dehumifier packs) Should I also be selling off my S100 or just keep it for an even lighter option?
    2. I will be going to Guang Zhou later this week, should I get my camera there for savings, if any at all? If yes, any decent shops to recommend? I will be near "up down nine" area.

    Much thanks in advance!!!
    Canon 400D User + 18 - 55mm IS + 50mm f/1.8

  2. #2

    Default

    Hey man I think your coming in at a good time, mft has defiantly matured a lot since the launch of the pen. Just nice today will be the launch of the new Olympus em10 at vivocity, so it's a good chance to go down and mess about with the camera.

    Not sure how much you can get for your 400d , maybe you can put it up on bns and ask for a quote. Also not too sure how the guang Zhou camera scene is like, but Olympus warranty should be international.
    Check out some of my photos and video ( myFlickr , myVimeo )

  3. #3
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional View Post
    Been a long time since I logged in here. *dusts off profile*

    I put aside photography because of my bulky 400D and lens, so I am still stuck in the newbie phase
    I want to get back into photography since the MFT/Mirrorless camera scene has matured a lot from the launch of the first PEN cam from Oly.

    Let's keep it concise:

    Current gear: Canon 400D with 50mm 1.8 and tamron 75-300mm len + Canon S100 (later purchase since I didn't want to lug around my dslr)
    Next camera requirement: Light weight, ability to switch lens for different shots. I like to take everything in between: travel photography, portrait (not as much i guess), toy photography, casual street snaps.
    Budget:$1.5k since it will be my first MFT and I don't want to spend a lot in case I neglect my camera again...
    Tripod: Any good one to recommend? My last tripod was a paltry $30 low quality one which came apart in pieces.. figured that I should pay more for a better one that won't break so easily. Nothing that will break the bank please.

    Other questions:

    1. How much can my current gear fetch in the BnS section? I would rate my 400D at 7/10 (wear & tear, plastic came off on this part where it's protecting, kept in camera bag where I shove lots of dehumifier packs) Should I also be selling off my S100 or just keep it for an even lighter option?
    2. I will be going to Guang Zhou later this week, should I get my camera there for savings, if any at all? If yes, any decent shops to recommend? I will be near "up down nine" area.

    Much thanks in advance!!!
    Since you already have a Canon 400D with 2 lenses, my advise is... sell your old 400D and get a 100D. The 100D had almost the same menu (so learning curve is going to be minimal), much better sensor as compared to your old 400D, much better processor which will give you cleaner image as compare to the old 400D. It is almost as small as some mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and is not really that expensive nowadays.

    With 1.5k budget, you can easily get the 100D with enough spare to get a good external flash and tripod and if you sell your 50mm f1.8, you could also get a brand new 40mm f2.8 which is a pancake lens and pretty small too.

    No point jumping ship to get another camera system, unless you really wanted it.

    To put things in perspective, look at how small a 100D is;


    Last edited by rhino123; 17th February 2014 at 08:33 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Yeah I personally feel that the market for mft has grown a lot hence looking into this section. I will go down to get a whirl with the cameras!

    Awesome that they do international warranty, if I see any at a good price in china I might spring for it!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Oh. Wasn't aware of this little camera. In terms of the new models like (I was only aware of these models...) 650D, is the 100D it's successor? Just want to get a feel of how It sits within the line of cams.

    I shall go Google for the weight. Also, is this better than the mft? Not sure if it's the right thing to ask but how does this stack up against the mft basically.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    73

    Default

    For compactness and light weight, you can just buy eos m with adapter if intend to use your current lens.

    If intend to change system, probably can consider Nikon v1 as it was the cheapest among all mirrorless camera. I got it $369 kit 1(with 10mm) at challenger.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional View Post
    Oh. Wasn't aware of this little camera. In terms of the new models like (I was only aware of these models...) 650D, is the 100D it's successor? Just want to get a feel of how It sits within the line of cams.

    I shall go Google for the weight. Also, is this better than the mft? Not sure if it's the right thing to ask but how does this stack up against the mft basically.
    Hmm it boils down to your needs. I came from DSLRs and into MFT.

    For me my reasons are:
    1) I do like to do alot of street photography so a smaller less "pro" looking camera is what I am looking for
    2) I can do with the drop in image quality in MFT compared to DSLR (some will argue this), because end of the day most people, I included just upload their images so 16 mega pixels is fine by me.
    3) Lens are generally cheaper
    4) And most importantly, the camera makes me wanna go out and shoot.

    So form your own reasons what you wanna shoot and what is the output your looking for and then decide on your camera
    Check out some of my photos and video ( myFlickr , myVimeo )

  8. #8
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional View Post
    Oh. Wasn't aware of this little camera. In terms of the new models like (I was only aware of these models...) 650D, is the 100D it's successor? Just want to get a feel of how It sits within the line of cams.

    I shall go Google for the weight. Also, is this better than the mft? Not sure if it's the right thing to ask but how does this stack up against the mft basically.
    To save you the trouble. The weigh is 0.402kg. Pretty light.

    Actually the 100D is of a line by itself, it is not to replace 650D or anything, Canon just wanted something small and light, with great IQ and coupled with fast phase AF.

    The reason I am not using a 100D was mainly because it was too small for me. I do use the Olympus EM5, but that is with an inclusion of a third party grip which make the grip significantly deeper than the 100D but it lost the size advantage (which is very little to start with) as compared to the 100D. Plus there is a slight lag in-between shots when using the mirrorless camera (even the Olympus EM5) although many people wouldn't notice the lag, but coming from DSLR, I do feel a slight lag. Of course the 100D being a DSLR didn't have that lag.

    Don't get me wrong, I like my EM5 and my 7D, and I use both of them extensively. It is just that, if you are coming from DSLR and already have experience with the Canon range of DSLR, the 100D would be a breeze, with almost zero learning curve. It do have some added features as compared to your old 400D and IQ is going to be better quite significantly plus the 100D is cheaper nowadays so with your budget you could get one for quite a reasonable price and the extra money can be utilise to get a good tripod (may I interest you with the Sirui series of tripods - you could get a pricelist from TKfoto.)
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by knightskid View Post
    For compactness and light weight, you can just buy eos m with adapter if intend to use your current lens.

    If intend to change system, probably can consider Nikon v1 as it was the cheapest among all mirrorless camera. I got it $369 kit 1(with 10mm) at challenger.
    Hi Mind sharing which Challenger you got it? plan to get 1 for my bkk trip.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicorn View Post
    Hi Mind sharing which Challenger you got it? plan to get 1 for my bkk trip.
    Got it probably slightly more than a month at Funan Challenger but the stock comes from Jurong Challenger branch, which i have to wait a few days.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by knightskid View Post
    For compactness and light weight, you can just buy eos m with adapter if intend to use your current lens.

    If intend to change system, probably can consider Nikon v1 as it was the cheapest among all mirrorless camera. I got it $369 kit 1(with 10mm) at challenger.
    pardon my noobness but is the adapter that you mentioned to be used on mft systems or on canon cameras? and wow, the price is so cheap! i remember the days where i paid a hefty $1.2k for my 400d..
    Canon 400D User + 18 - 55mm IS + 50mm f/1.8

  12. #12

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by jemjemjem View Post
    Hmm it boils down to your needs. I came from DSLRs and into MFT.

    For me my reasons are:
    1) I do like to do alot of street photography so a smaller less "pro" looking camera is what I am looking for
    2) I can do with the drop in image quality in MFT compared to DSLR (some will argue this), because end of the day most people, I included just upload their images so 16 mega pixels is fine by me.
    3) Lens are generally cheaper
    4) And most importantly, the camera makes me wanna go out and shoot.

    So form your own reasons what you wanna shoot and what is the output your looking for and then decide on your camera
    for me the weight is a huge deterrence. i used to lug my cam, my two lenses in my lowepro bag. so heavy! that's excluding all my other stuff. for me I need light weight for sure, otherwise I'm just going to put it off again like what i did. which mft are u using?
    Canon 400D User + 18 - 55mm IS + 50mm f/1.8

  13. #13

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    To save you the trouble. The weigh is 0.402kg. Pretty light.

    Actually the 100D is of a line by itself, it is not to replace 650D or anything, Canon just wanted something small and light, with great IQ and coupled with fast phase AF.

    The reason I am not using a 100D was mainly because it was too small for me. I do use the Olympus EM5, but that is with an inclusion of a third party grip which make the grip significantly deeper than the 100D but it lost the size advantage (which is very little to start with) as compared to the 100D. Plus there is a slight lag in-between shots when using the mirrorless camera (even the Olympus EM5) although many people wouldn't notice the lag, but coming from DSLR, I do feel a slight lag. Of course the 100D being a DSLR didn't have that lag.

    Don't get me wrong, I like my EM5 and my 7D, and I use both of them extensively. It is just that, if you are coming from DSLR and already have experience with the Canon range of DSLR, the 100D would be a breeze, with almost zero learning curve. It do have some added features as compared to your old 400D and IQ is going to be better quite significantly plus the 100D is cheaper nowadays so with your budget you could get one for quite a reasonable price and the extra money can be utilise to get a good tripod (may I interest you with the Sirui series of tripods - you could get a pricelist from TKfoto.)
    gotta look at the pics this produces.. but even so im nowhere near those standards. as the saying goes, it's not the camera but the user.

    while the camera is light, the lens is still going to be big and bulky. does MFT cams generally lose out to their DSLR counterparts? is it significant enough for a newbie to pick up?

    p.s: noted on the tripods. incidentally, do shops no longer put up their price list online? can't seem to even get a hint of RRP these days online.
    Last edited by dysfunktional; 17th February 2014 at 12:48 PM.
    Canon 400D User + 18 - 55mm IS + 50mm f/1.8

  14. #14
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional View Post
    gotta look at the pics this produces.. but even so im nowhere near those standards. as the saying goes, it's not the camera but the user.

    while the camera is light, the lens is still going to be big and bulky. does MFT cams generally lose out to their DSLR counterparts? is it significant enough for a newbie to pick up?

    p.s: noted on the tripods. incidentally, do shops no longer put up their price list online? can't seem to even get a hint of RRP these days online.
    Pricelist:

    http://www.tkfoto.com.sg/index.php?o...115&Itemid=290

    As for the question of MFT pic quality vs DSLR pic quality.









    Can you tell me which one is from a DSLR and which one is from a MFT?

    In my opinion, there really is very little to no differences at all. The main thing about MFT is that it is a x2 crop and so you get a 'longer' range.
    Last edited by rhino123; 17th February 2014 at 04:12 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional View Post
    pardon my noobness but is the adapter that you mentioned to be used on mft systems or on canon cameras? and wow, the price is so cheap! i remember the days where i paid a hefty $1.2k for my 400d..
    The EOS M with purchase of the adapter can only mount canon lenses...http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/pro...N#type=adapter

  16. #16

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional View Post
    for me the weight is a huge deterrence. i used to lug my cam, my two lenses in my lowepro bag. so heavy! that's excluding all my other stuff. for me I need light weight for sure, otherwise I'm just going to put it off again like what i did. which mft are u using?
    Currently I am still using my trusty GH2, 2 years old, but image quality is still all right. I carry it everywhere haha, to work, downstairs ,for lunch...everywhere. Image quality is so so,can just have a look at my flickr if this image quality is ok with you. Or if you want something really small but packs a punch that would be the Panasonic GM1. For best image quality you can try the Olympus EM1.
    Check out some of my photos and video ( myFlickr , myVimeo )

  17. #17
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional View Post
    pardon my noobness but is the adapter that you mentioned to be used on mft systems or on canon cameras? and wow, the price is so cheap! i remember the days where i paid a hefty $1.2k for my 400d..
    Please note the following,

    MFT is a short form for micro4/3. And so far only two camera brand are manufacturing these type of camera - panasonic and Olympus... although I think blackmagic and soon kodak have this cameras too, but blackmagic is more on video cam and Kodak's m4/3 camera had not been release yet.

    All others like Nikon 1 (V1, J1, V2, etc), EOS-M, etc are all mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.

    As for the adapter you mentioned... the EOS-M adapter is only for EF and EF-S mount lens, the adapter on Nikon 1 series camera is only for Nikon lenses on the 1 series only.

    If it was the adapter on an Olympus or Panasonic... then most probably it will be an adapter to enable these MFT cameras to make use of old 4/3 lenses (Olympus stock).

    Of course there are other adapters in the market, these normally help different cameras to mount other brand's lenses, this would also normally means that the lens will not be able to AF and change aperture electronically (through your camera). For eg. I can use an adapter on my Canon EOS 7D and use Nikon lenses, but I will not be able to AF and change aperture. I can also put an adapter on my OMD-EM5 and use my existing Canon lenses on the Olympus. And so on and so for.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

    As for the question of MFT pic quality vs DSLR pic quality.

    Can you tell me which one is from a DSLR and which one is from a MFT?

    In my opinion, there really is very little to no differences at all. The main thing about MFT is that it is a x2 crop and so you get a 'longer' range.
    NSFW images.

  19. #19
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,889

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunktional View Post
    for me the weight is a huge deterrence. i used to lug my cam, my two lenses in my lowepro bag. so heavy! that's excluding all my other stuff. for me I need light weight for sure, otherwise I'm just going to put it off again like what i did. which mft are u using?
    hi, just a quick one

    If weight is a deterrent, and u wish for a punch in a small package at a budget of $1500, u definitely can do so with a MFT Pana12-35/2.8 (24-70mm equiv)coupled with a body from the Oly EPL5 series or the EM5 from B n S. Do a search for an idea of the prices.

    Unless u r into prime lenses, this setup should be really good start for anyone who's jumping from a DSLR into MFT.

    MFT has grown a lot since its beginnings. I'm currently using the EP5 and EM1 with the Oly12-40/2.8, Oly 17/1.8, 45/1.8 and Pana 14-45mm (a superbly value for money zoom)

    For IQ, honestly pple will argue to their last breaths that sensor size matters but i think we all gotta understand its the whole package of sensor, processor, lens range , handling that matter. Just a few photos from my APAD link

    EM1 with the 45/1.8


    EM1 with 12-40, Dynamic Art Filter


    EM1 with 17/1.8


    Do visit the main MFT photo threads , there got some really good masters with much better photos from MFT systems. See them here

    Once u share more clearly your needs, we definitely can provide u with better advice on the setup to start with

  20. #20
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommend me MFT/Mirrorless Cam please!

    Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    For IQ, honestly pple will argue to their last breaths that sensor size matters but i think we all gotta understand its the whole package of sensor, processor, lens range , handling that matter. Just a few photos from my APAD link
    Agreed 100%.

    Sensor wise, it is important, but not everything in a camera... that is what I have been trying to preach all the time. Plus, IQ from MFT camera and APS-C size sensor camera are more or less the same. Frankly speaking, you can't tell much of a different at all.

    Either way, TS would be able to take great photos, be it with MFT or DSLR.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •