Thread: Printer DPI

Default Printer DPI

Can someone explain to me how printer DPI works? Let's say I've got a printer that can print at 4800dpi X 1200dpi. If I print at a density of 300dpi, does that mean my max size is 16inch X 4inch?
    If not then there is no need for such high dpi as I've read on some articles that 300dpi is good enough for photo prints.

Quote Originally Posted by megascriler
    Can someone explain to me how printer DPI works? Let's say I've got a printer that can print at 4800dpi X 1200dpi. If I print at a density of 300dpi, does that mean my max size is 16inch X 4inch?
    If not then there is no need for such high dpi as I've read on some articles that 300dpi is good enough for photo prints.
    300dpi is quite sufficient, unless you look at the pictures with a magnifying glass. (It also dependes on how sharp the edges of each printed pixel are; too sharp pixels can actually create visible artefacts.)

However, some printers (namely inkjets) have a very small colour depth (only a few bits, as opposed to typically 24 bits for common full-colour images). This results in visible quantization noise (posterization). The quantization noise can be masked by adding more noise (dithering). This added noise degrades the picture visibly.

By making the printer resolution much higher than the image resolution, multiple printer pixels ("dots") can be used per image pixel; if the printer pixel density is higher than the resolving power of the eye, multiple pixels get visually averaged, reducing the apparent noise level and increasing the apparent colour depth.

For printers that have a small colour palette (i.e. most inkjets), increased resolution is necessary to avoid visible posterization and noise. For printers that start out with sufficient colour resolution (i.e. most dye diffusion printers), it is not necessary.

so is a printer with a DPI of 2880X720 sufficient? And is that the main factor in determining the picture quality or the number of ink catridges it has?

It's a combination of resolution, ink droplet size, number of colours, ink type (dye vs pigment) and quality, the quality of the paper you print on, and ultimately your input file.

Regards
    CK

don't worry too unduely.

u hv 2 things mixed up.

the 300dpi of ur image is good enough,
    but ur printer cannot produce the 300dpi's
    every dot in its true color.
    so it needs more 'dots' per ur image 'dot'
    to mixed its ink to that color.
    and this also give u a smoother
    color tone.

printer need not set at its highest quality
    as its time consuming.
    switching off the high speed(bi-directinal) print
    improves its quality tremendously.

hope this helped,
    else pm me if need clarification.

jude

ok. what does ppm stand for and what is it?

pages per minute if I'm not wrong.

Default Re: Printer DPI

So how to judge a printer as a good printer? I mean like cameras we use its megapixel(i mean mostly we do), for printers what factors do we consider?

Please help thanks.

Blog Entries

So how to judge a printer as a good printer? I mean like cameras we use its megapixel(i mean mostly we do), for printers what factors do we consider?
    you look at the print sample and see if it is good

....so no other factors?

Blog Entries

it depends on what is important to you

Printing speed - ppm
    Print quality
    Number of inks used
    cost per print
    colour management
    Design of printer
    Ability to print other media/sizes
    ntework ready
    postscript
    security

and many more
    so itdepends on what you are looking for
    and how you are going to use it

by the way by 6 months it will no longer be the the latest technology
    so don't sweat it

My photos are all in 200dpi, and I still get sharp prints while being able to print larger
    eat. drink. shoot