Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Recommended Lens for FZ5

  1. #1

    Default Recommended Lens for FZ5

    Hi experts,
    I see alot of piecemeal info here and there about attaching lenses to the the FZ5 using the hood adapter. I'm wondering if you attach a bigger lens would it be safe since the adapter is quite easy to disengage.
    Also, can any expert list the types of lens options we have with recommended brands as well as from their experience what lens cannot be used.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Beach Road
    Posts
    3,733

    Smile Add-on Lenses for FZ1/3/5

    IMO, most compatible lenses as follows:

    Wide Angle Convertor:
    1. Olympus WCON-07 (55mm)
    2. Olympus WCON-08 (55mm)

    Tele Convertor:
    1. Olympus TCON-17 (55mm)

    Reason is that these are optically above average and are light enough to be mounted on to the FZ1/2/5. Best of all, all of them uses the 55mm thread, same as the tube that comes with your FZ5 so you don't have to use any step up or step down ring. Ironically, Panasonic don't produce any lens for the FZ1/3/5 but thanks to Olympus, we get very affordable and good quality add-on lenses.

    Guys, if you have other convertor lens that work well with the FZ1/3/5, maybe you can expand on this list, should prove helpful to users here.

  3. #3

    Default

    The Prosumer camera is designed to be lightweight, small, and have a full working range that will not require you to change lens etc.

    By packing in conversion lenses, and such, means you carry a big bag with flash, lens etc... then wat differene from SLR?

    Anyways, from personal experience, I had a really lousy time, mounting/unmounting the wide and tele lenses when I was on holiday in Bangkok.

    By mounting the Oly Wcon 08, you can only use the cam at its widest only.
    Just by being lazy, and zooming with the wcon on.. you will see serious distortion at the edges of the pic.

    Good luck!
    RH

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhair78
    The Prosumer camera is designed to be lightweight, small, and have a full working range that will not require you to change lens etc.

    By packing in conversion lenses, and such, means you carry a big bag with flash, lens etc... then wat differene from SLR?

    Anyways, from personal experience, I had a really lousy time, mounting/unmounting the wide and tele lenses when I was on holiday in Bangkok.

    By mounting the Oly Wcon 08, you can only use the cam at its widest only.
    Just by being lazy, and zooming with the wcon on.. you will see serious distortion at the edges of the pic.

    Good luck!
    u saying, that u cant capture the whole scene with your wide lens because if u work on full zoom, u are already too absorbed into the scene is it?
    i am still reading up on the so many lens type

    i think perharps its more for ranged shots for the tele lens rite?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default

    I would recommend getting a metal tube instead of the flimsy plastic adaptor tube that Panasonic provides. The plastic screw thread gets worn easily, and was not designed to hold the weight of the add-on conversion lenses properly.

    I had to hold on to the TCON-17 each time I use it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default

    The wide and tele conversion lens are meant to be used with the camera at the maximum wide and tele settings. Attaching a wide lens, but activating the zoom would defeat the purpose. Likewise, attaching a tele lens, but not using the camera's full zoom.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhair78
    The Prosumer camera is designed to be lightweight, small, and have a full working range that will not require you to change lens etc.

    By packing in conversion lenses, and such, means you carry a big bag with flash, lens etc... then wat differene from SLR?

    Anyways, from personal experience, I had a really lousy time, mounting/unmounting the wide and tele lenses when I was on holiday in Bangkok.

    By mounting the Oly Wcon 08, you can only use the cam at its widest only.
    Just by being lazy, and zooming with the wcon on.. you will see serious distortion at the edges of the pic.

    Good luck!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    hmmm if you locked the plastic tube.. it's kinda hard to come off right? at times to get it off i haf to try very hard..

    Quoted from Yoshida-san..
    seems like we can't get aluminum tubing.. just sent him a mail in japanese, see if there's any workaround to this problem.

    1. The structure of FZ5 is different from FZ1/2 and FZ3.
    2. The thing that I make the adaptor is comparatively easy.
    However, there is a problem in the installation method.
    3. FZ1/2 and FZ3 can install the adaptor by easy work.
    4. FZ5 detaches the inside of the camera, and will install the adaptor.
    5. A general user thinks this installation work to be impossible.
    6. A special tool is needed. The technology is also necessary.

    FZ1/2 is a structure to rotate the screw and to install the adaptor.
    FZ3 is a structure to stop an outside part of the camera with one machine screw.
    FZ5 is a structure stopped from the inside of the camera with three machine screws.
    It is not possible to install it from the outside of the camera.

    Can my explanation be understood?
    If in your surroundings, there is a person who understands Japanese Though I can explain in Japanese in detail ‥

    Thank you.
    Ryuji Yoshida

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huggable
    The wide and tele conversion lens are meant to be used with the camera at the maximum wide and tele settings. Attaching a wide lens, but activating the zoom would defeat the purpose. Likewise, attaching a tele lens, but not using the camera's full zoom.
    Of course the wide angle lens supposed to use at widest lar.
    But if you are at a location, where you want wide, then spot something interesting and want to use Tele.. then you are screwed. You need to unsrew the lens, pop the caps on, and then keep in the bag or somewhere. Then get back to your camera... by then the moment has passed.

    I was a victim of buy buy buy.... so I just hope that PLUG members will consider if the stuff they yearn so much for is really necessary
    RH

  9. #9
    Senior Member dominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Amazon Forest
    Posts
    1,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhair78
    Of course the wide angle lens supposed to use at widest lar.
    But if you are at a location, where you want wide, then spot something interesting and want to use Tele.. then you are screwed. You need to unsrew the lens, pop the caps on, and then keep in the bag or somewhere. Then get back to your camera... by then the moment has passed.

    I was a victim of buy buy buy.... so I just hope that PLUG members will consider if the stuff they yearn so much for is really necessary
    from the last outing i join i can see you are a BUY VIRUS MAN!
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Beach Road
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhair78
    I was a victim of buy buy buy.... so I just hope that PLUG members will consider if the stuff they yearn so much for is really necessary

    maybe apply only to you here?

    just kidding...

    ... but really, I feel that all this buy and buy and then sell and sell is part of the process of learning moer about photography and what you need and don't.

    BTW, we are OT-ing form this thread, please post more valuable inputs.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tao
    maybe apply only to you here?

    just kidding...

    ... but really, I feel that all this buy and buy and then sell and sell is part of the process of learning moer about photography and what you need and don't.

    BTW, we are OT-ing form this thread, please post more valuable inputs.
    Oops. Sorry airconvent for all the bs OT from me on this thread.
    I have troubled everyone with my invaluable inputs.
    No more PLUG for me, since I have parted with the FZ20.
    RH

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •