Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civil Servants Mobilised for Election Duty

vince123123
    Guests

Default Civil Servants Mobilised for Election Duty

I learned that some civil servants have been mobilised for election duty, have to attend briefings, take their own time, money, transport, and don't get anything in return.

Can't claim transport $$, no free parking or claim parking costs, use up your own time and energy to go for these.

Does anyone have any opinions on these? Even for reservist we get paid (peanuts no doubt, but still at least got paid). This is almost like free labour (albeit in the name of patriotism).

Lucky i'm not a civil servant...

Haha, I'm doing duty spec at the moment in camp too, and won't be paid for this too. When 1st Transport Battalion was activated when our ex-president died, everyone had to rush back to camp through any mean when they got activated.

I did election duty during the last GE. Actually, officers are given allowance as well as off days. So it's not entirely "free". Having said that, I must say it's a (as cliche as it sounds) a once-a-lifetime experience. No regrets.

I have been called up again this time. However, I have noticed that compared to the last GE there are more training required this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r
    Haha, I'm doing duty spec at the moment in camp too, and won't be paid for this too. When 1st Transport Battalion was activated when our ex-president died, everyone had to rush back to camp through any mean when they got activated.
    how come Battalion was activiated when ex-president died?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    I learned that some civil servants have been mobilised for election duty, have to attend briefings, take their own time, money, transport, and don't get anything in return.

Can't claim transport $$, no free parking or claim parking costs, use up your own time and energy to go for these.

Does anyone have any opinions on these? Even for reservist we get paid (peanuts no doubt, but still at least got paid). This is almost like free labour (albeit in the name of patriotism).

Lucky i'm not a civil servant...
    Its ALWAYS been like this in the Civil Service. No OT pays, etc, etc.

So, what do ppl think the Civil Service as? Typically overfed, underworked chaps who leeches public tax money? Its a pretty unforgiving job much as ppl like to think otherwise.

Think u're up to da challenge?

went for the training. you have to attend all their training sessions and pay for your own transport, etc. On the actual day, for attending and working from 5 am to 10 pm, you get $200 and 1 day off. Personally, I think it's not worth it... if anything goes wrong because of you, the repurcussions could cost more than $200.

Quote Originally Posted by therat
    how come Battalion was activiated when ex-president died?
    there is a parade of sort which i forgot the name where battalion will be activate to don the no.1 uniform.
    In fact,any officer past away,that standby battery for that battalion will be activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    went for the training. you have to attend all their training sessions and pay for your own transport, etc. On the actual day, for attending and working from 5 am to 10 pm, you get $200 and 1 day off. Personally, I think it's not worth it... if anything goes wrong because of you, the repurcussions could cost more than $200.
    As long as you acted in good faith, you shouldn't be liable if things go wrong.

U're working for the people. Think of it.

Unless u're a mercenary....

that's how the term 'civil servant' came about right?
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

'Servants to the Civilians'

Not very highly appreciated by the civilians we are supposed to serve. Sigh...

at least civil servants get "fatter" bonuses than a lot of employees from private sectors....so mai complain liao lah....

Personally, I think it's not worth it... if anything goes wrong because of you, the repurcussions could cost more than $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by code
    As long as you acted in good faith, you shouldn't be liable if things go wrong.
    I share sausage's sentiment. Some years back when I was still in the civil service, I was in charge of 4 polling stations and 1 counting centre as an Asst Returning Officer (ARO). Then, my allowance was $400, cos of the higher responsibilities, I suppose. But like you said, the stress was quite high, as a silly mistake could cost you your career, whether or not you acted in good faith.

The day for AROs (and higher) started at 5:00am and ended when the last count was made and certified, in the wee hours of the morning. Very easy to make a silly mistake when you're sleep-deprived.

i am not mobilised...

but most of my friends are....

Quote Originally Posted by Papilio
    I share sausage's sentiment. Some years back when I was still in the civil service, I was in charge of 4 polling stations and 1 counting centre as an Asst Returning Officer (ARO). Then, my allowance was $400, cos of the higher responsibilities, I suppose. But like you said, the stress was quite high, as a silly mistake could cost you your career, whether or not you acted in good faith.

The day for AROs (and higher) started at 5:00am and ended when the last count was made and certified, in the wee hours of the morning. Very easy to make a silly mistake when you're sleep-deprived.
    "With (great) powers comes with (great) responsibilities".

Yes, it's possible to make mistake, esp for AROs and above when they have to work much longer hours. But you guys are chosen precisely because of your high(er) apppointments in the public sector.

Having said that, it used to be just a one-day, or at most 2-days, affair. Now, with all these training, it can be quite disruptive to your personal life and work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    at least civil servants get "fatter" bonuses than a lot of employees from private sectors....so mai complain liao lah....
    really?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    really?
    Aiyah,
    some pple from the public sector will get more bonus than some from the private sector;
    some pple from the private sector will get more bonus than some from the public sector...

how to compare?

Aiyah,
    some pple from the public sector will get more bonus than some from the private sector;
    some pple from the private sector will get more bonus than some from the public sector...

how to compare?
    depends on the job also mah...

Blog Entries

Aiyah,

how to compare?
    code & ibitemynails - dats my point.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    code & ibitemynails - dats my point.
    aiyah...

job is job cannot compare one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast