Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Civil Servants Mobilised for Election Duty

  1. #1
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Civil Servants Mobilised for Election Duty

    I learned that some civil servants have been mobilised for election duty, have to attend briefings, take their own time, money, transport, and don't get anything in return.

    Can't claim transport $$, no free parking or claim parking costs, use up your own time and energy to go for these.

    Does anyone have any opinions on these? Even for reservist we get paid (peanuts no doubt, but still at least got paid). This is almost like free labour (albeit in the name of patriotism).

    Lucky i'm not a civil servant...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default

    Haha, I'm doing duty spec at the moment in camp too, and won't be paid for this too. When 1st Transport Battalion was activated when our ex-president died, everyone had to rush back to camp through any mean when they got activated.

  3. #3

    Default

    I did election duty during the last GE. Actually, officers are given allowance as well as off days. So it's not entirely "free". Having said that, I must say it's a (as cliche as it sounds) a once-a-lifetime experience. No regrets.

    I have been called up again this time. However, I have noticed that compared to the last GE there are more training required this time.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r
    Haha, I'm doing duty spec at the moment in camp too, and won't be paid for this too. When 1st Transport Battalion was activated when our ex-president died, everyone had to rush back to camp through any mean when they got activated.
    how come Battalion was activiated when ex-president died?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    I learned that some civil servants have been mobilised for election duty, have to attend briefings, take their own time, money, transport, and don't get anything in return.

    Can't claim transport $$, no free parking or claim parking costs, use up your own time and energy to go for these.

    Does anyone have any opinions on these? Even for reservist we get paid (peanuts no doubt, but still at least got paid). This is almost like free labour (albeit in the name of patriotism).

    Lucky i'm not a civil servant...
    Its ALWAYS been like this in the Civil Service. No OT pays, etc, etc.

    So, what do ppl think the Civil Service as? Typically overfed, underworked chaps who leeches public tax money? Its a pretty unforgiving job much as ppl like to think otherwise.

    Think u're up to da challenge?

  6. #6

    Default

    went for the training. you have to attend all their training sessions and pay for your own transport, etc. On the actual day, for attending and working from 5 am to 10 pm, you get $200 and 1 day off. Personally, I think it's not worth it... if anything goes wrong because of you, the repurcussions could cost more than $200.

  7. #7
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by therat
    how come Battalion was activiated when ex-president died?
    there is a parade of sort which i forgot the name where battalion will be activate to don the no.1 uniform.
    In fact,any officer past away,that standby battery for that battalion will be activated.


  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    went for the training. you have to attend all their training sessions and pay for your own transport, etc. On the actual day, for attending and working from 5 am to 10 pm, you get $200 and 1 day off. Personally, I think it's not worth it... if anything goes wrong because of you, the repurcussions could cost more than $200.
    As long as you acted in good faith, you shouldn't be liable if things go wrong.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    went for the training. you have to attend all their training sessions and pay for your own transport, etc. On the actual day, for attending and working from 5 am to 10 pm, you get $200 and 1 day off. Personally, I think it's not worth it... if anything goes wrong because of you, the repurcussions could cost more than $200.
    U're working for the people. Think of it.

    Unless u're a mercenary....

  10. #10

    Default

    that's how the term 'civil servant' came about right?
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    'Servants to the Civilians'

    Not very highly appreciated by the civilians we are supposed to serve. Sigh...

  12. #12

    Default

    at least civil servants get "fatter" bonuses than a lot of employees from private sectors....so mai complain liao lah....

  13. #13
    Member Papilio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    Personally, I think it's not worth it... if anything goes wrong because of you, the repurcussions could cost more than $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by code
    As long as you acted in good faith, you shouldn't be liable if things go wrong.
    I share sausage's sentiment. Some years back when I was still in the civil service, I was in charge of 4 polling stations and 1 counting centre as an Asst Returning Officer (ARO). Then, my allowance was $400, cos of the higher responsibilities, I suppose. But like you said, the stress was quite high, as a silly mistake could cost you your career, whether or not you acted in good faith.

    The day for AROs (and higher) started at 5:00am and ended when the last count was made and certified, in the wee hours of the morning. Very easy to make a silly mistake when you're sleep-deprived.

  14. #14

    Default

    i am not mobilised...

    but most of my friends are....

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Papilio
    I share sausage's sentiment. Some years back when I was still in the civil service, I was in charge of 4 polling stations and 1 counting centre as an Asst Returning Officer (ARO). Then, my allowance was $400, cos of the higher responsibilities, I suppose. But like you said, the stress was quite high, as a silly mistake could cost you your career, whether or not you acted in good faith.

    The day for AROs (and higher) started at 5:00am and ended when the last count was made and certified, in the wee hours of the morning. Very easy to make a silly mistake when you're sleep-deprived.
    "With (great) powers comes with (great) responsibilities".

    Yes, it's possible to make mistake, esp for AROs and above when they have to work much longer hours. But you guys are chosen precisely because of your high(er) apppointments in the public sector.

    Having said that, it used to be just a one-day, or at most 2-days, affair. Now, with all these training, it can be quite disruptive to your personal life and work.

  16. #16
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    at least civil servants get "fatter" bonuses than a lot of employees from private sectors....so mai complain liao lah....
    really?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    really?
    Aiyah,
    some pple from the public sector will get more bonus than some from the private sector;
    some pple from the private sector will get more bonus than some from the public sector...

    how to compare?

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by code
    Aiyah,
    some pple from the public sector will get more bonus than some from the private sector;
    some pple from the private sector will get more bonus than some from the public sector...

    how to compare?
    depends on the job also mah...

  19. #19
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by code
    Aiyah,
    some pple from the public sector will get more bonus than some from the private sector;
    some pple from the private sector will get more bonus than some from the public sector...

    how to compare?
    code & ibitemynails - dats my point.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    code & ibitemynails - dats my point.
    aiyah...

    job is job cannot compare one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •