Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which cafe in Singapore to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Waffle
    it's not just the starbucks at raffles city, it's pretty much the same scene at almost all the coffee houses nowadays, littered with impressionable kiddos making a helluva noise.

and especially so nowadays what with the school holidays. bah. enough ranting. back to topic and COFFEE! WEE!
    Yea, in fact, i don't consider starbucks or coffee bean a very nice place to engage in long hours conversations with close friends.. their quality and variety of coffee already puts me off..

true, esp for coffee bean. whenever they rush for orders, the quality of the drink is unacceptable, i could even dug out a spoonful of coffee powder from the drink ... ... not the first time liao ..

Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    nydc
    they have nice and expensive cakes.... rather nice and to me, its realli expensive when u buy 1kg or more... not the usual rate though.. hahahaa...

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    want to find some place where their coffee/tea and food is nice, and comfortable enough for hours of chit chat with close friends.

i realized TCC is good, their dory fish main dish is very nice! bean bags and low tables with parquay flooring is cosy

Any other places to recommend?
    Best place is "HOME"?

haha. Connoisseur = kon-nua-zer.

[QUOTE=behyx]The Coffee Connoisseur

anybody know how to pronounce correctly 'connoisseur'?

[QUOTE=allcowsmoo]haha. Connoisseur = kon-nua-zer.

The Coffee Connoisseur

anybody know how to pronounce correctly 'connoisseur'?
    Canonsiao?

There's a new cafe in Simpang Bedok called "Miss U Cafe". Went to check it out, quite nice. Nice atmosphere for chatting with friends, quite a relaxing place, and their food is not bad too. Received an email from them with some good offers for this June and July.

E-coupon can be downloaded from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/81927935@N00/19631045/

Come on down to celebrate with us, and enjoy our soft launch promotions!

Order a slice of cheesecake and get a 2nd slice FREE!*
    Are you a cheesecake lover? Get double the pleasure with our 1-for-1 cheesecake offer! Just print the e-coupon attached and resent it on payment of your bill.

Enjoy a bottle of Castillo Butron Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 for just $16.80!**
    Do you enjoy having conversations with friends over a nice bottle of wine? This special offer is just for you! Originally priced at $30, each bottle of Castillo Butron Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 is now going for just $16.80.

We are located at 14 Jalan Pari Burong S(488680), near Changi Fire Station (Simpang Bedok). For enquiries, please call 62436266. Our opening hours are 11am to 12mn every day.

* Terms and Conditions apply
    ** While stocks last

Quote Originally Posted by r3pple
    There's a new cafe in Simpang Bedok called "Miss U Cafe". Went to check it out, quite nice. Nice atmosphere for chatting with friends, quite a relaxing place, and their food is not bad too. Received an email from them with some good offers for this June and July.

E-coupon can be downloaded from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/81927935@N00/19631045/
    the location not very central.

Not near to MRT, had to take bus or drive.

BTW, I pass by every sat, bring my son to weekend school.
    Bus #9

Hi.. I dont really know a cafe.. but I know a nice chill out place.. ambience very nice... Its call My Secret Garden. There have wireless surf also.. Check out the website by just clicking on the name.. I somehow know to boss there.. hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    they have nice and expensive cakes.... rather nice and to me, its realli expensive when u buy 1kg or more... not the usual rate though.. hahahaa...
    glad to find another nydc fan here...their mud pie can send me drool for a few days just by thinking of it !!

want to find some place where their coffee/tea and food is nice, and comfortable enough for hours of chit chat with close friends.

i realized TCC is good, their dory fish main dish is very nice! bean bags and low tables with parquay flooring is cosy

Any other places to recommend?
    Recommend Secret Recipe. You can have proper meals there or simply have a cup of tea also can. Ambience is ok but the food is nice and not expensive also!

i like starbucks vanilla frappuccino... its very sweet so i dont drink it often...heh

You can try Settlers Cafe @ Clarke Quay (opp. Hong Lim Park) & @ Holland Village.

Decent food and there are games to play.. Otherwise, you can always sit down and chat with friends..

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    You can try Settlers Cafe @ Clarke Quay (opp. Hong Lim Park) & @ Holland Village.

Decent food and there are games to play.. Otherwise, you can always sit down and chat with friends..
    if i'm not wrong, it charges by hours for the games, isit? like karaoke charges.

hhmm.. no fans of Bakerzin here??

if i'm not wrong, it charges by hours for the games, isit? like karaoke charges.
    Yes.. But then if you're having a meal, you get 1 hour free.. If more than one person having a meal, it stacks.. So 4 people eating together can play for 4 hours free..

Alternatively, I believe there are packages there for gaming as well... Probably get some drinks and snacks to go with the games etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng
    Walked past the Pacific Coffee that day and was really sad to see it was closed down....or just renovating? Anybody knows?

My fav is the one at One Raffles Link. Really peaceful and quiet during the weekdays. Nice place to relax in the big red comfy sofas, sip coffee and just enjoy a good book.....nice.....best if raining.....
    Pacific Coffee is very big in HKG. Very where i go, i see big comfy sofas. Happy only. The Starbucks there are tiny.

Generally, it seems the quality of Italian/Western Coffee is poor in SG.... but mine is only a narrow point of view since I go to the more popular chains.

In Perth, usually cafes are individual shops owned by experience people. The people who make your coffee are usually pretty good at it. It seems almost any cafe I visit, irregardless if its neighbourhood or at more posh places, the coffee is almost always spot on. Moreover, the price is always fixed, between $3-$3.50 ... no matter if its perched on a cliff overlooking the sea, or if its the one next to supavalue (think ntuc fairprice).

marcwang, I think you are specifically talking about espresso right?

I share your sentiments about the low quality of espresso made in sg. My guess is that very few joints in sg are willing to professionally train their baristas. Most of the baristas probably learnt how to make espresso from their senior who in turn had learnt from their senior. So probably along the line people pick improper techniques hence the expresso is extracted wrongly.

As for the cafe culture in aust, the baristas are professional. There's a demand for good baristas and quality expresso. These people take pride in making quality expresso, because its their lifelihood. The best cafe latte I had was in Warnambool - a few hrs drive from Melb. Took me a while finding good quality cafe latte in sg and am so glad its available (though limited) in sg now.

Heh... I dont drink espresso... too hard core for my young tastebuds.

I was referring to the rest of them like cappuccino, vienna ... . In particular, cappuccino, I like the ones in australia, where they top the foam off with very good coco powder, sweet, bitter and rich. The coffee bean cuppa, dont even have chocolate power on it, must pour myself... , and it doesnt even taste like coco powder. Some of them use cinnammon powder, i just dont like it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast