Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can sell door to door?

Default can sell door to door?

I heard a knock on my door, 2 man standing outside. I no open door, sure selling things. My neighbor come back, kenna from them. It's about insurance stuffs and from news, I thought they can't do like that? Esp old folks alone at home n sign up (got such cases). I went to check with police n told it's ok to do so. If really another con case, I don't know to help the police or just ignore since I been told it's ok. Very confuse now, ha ha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Default Re: can sell door to door?

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    I heard a knock on my door, 2 man standing outside. I no open door, sure selling things. My neighbor come back, kenna from them. It's about insurance stuffs and from news, I thought they can't do like that? Esp old folks alone at home n sign up (got such cases). I went to check with police n told it's ok to do so. If really another con case, I don't know to help the police or just ignore since I been told it's ok. Very confuse now, ha ha!
    they need a license. check it.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

they need a license. check it.
    I see. But got license or not, we wouldn't ask. Let alone old folks. Sign liao then know not what we needs, maybe lemon law helps? :think

I see. But got license or not, we wouldn't ask. Let alone old folks. Sign liao then know not what we needs, maybe lemon law helps? :think
    Lemon Law applies to consumer goods/products, not how people behave (with reference to door-to-door sales people)

if you're afraid that they'll con the old folks, you should have opened the door and questioned them and if you found them suspicious, you should have called the police on them.

IIRC insurance agents from well known agency also came door to door. I just entertain and nicely declined. Poor fellows trying to make a living.

Every contract has its cancellation clause. What is the standard here?
    EOS

Times are so bad??
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Lemon Law applies to consumer goods/products, not how people behave (with reference to door-to-door sales people)

if you're afraid that they'll con the old folks, you should have opened the door and questioned them and if you found them suspicious, you should have called the police on them.
    I did call police n they shoud send man over to question them instead of me. At least I did my part, just that police says ok, I also can't do anything. Just wait for another case to happen only lor.

Under Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) (Cancellation of Contracts) Regulations 2003, there's provision for 3 days cooling off period.

See: http://www.mti.gov.sg/legislation/Do...t_Canc_Reg.pdf

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON YOUR RIGHT TO CANCEL
    1. You have a right to cancel a direct sales/time share contract within 3 days, excluding
    Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays, after —
    (a) the day on which you entered the contract; or
    (b) if this notice was not brought to your attention before or at the time you
    entered the contract, the day on which this notice was subsequently brought to
    your attention.
    Door-to-door considered direct sales.

Definitions
    2. —(1) In these Regulations, unless the context otherwise requires —
    "cancellation period" means the period described in regulation 4(1);
    "consumer information notice" means a notice in the form set out in the Schedule;
    "designated person" means a person designated in a consumer information notice as
    the one to whom notice of cancellation of a contract may be given;
    "direct sales contract" means a consumer transaction which is entered into —
    (a) during an unsolicited visit by a supplier to —
    (i) the place of residence of the consumer;
    (ii) the place of residence of another person; or
    (iii) the place of business of the consumer;
    Excluions to note:

Exclusions
    3. These Regulations shall not apply to —
    (a) any excluded transactions specified in the First Schedule to the Act;
    (b) any lease of residential property;
    (c) any contract for the supply of goods or services intended for business use;
    (d) any contract under which the total payments to be made by a consumer do
    not exceed $50;
    (e) any direct sales contract if, prior to the visit during which the consumer
    entered into the contract or made an offer referred to in paragraph (c) of the
    definition of “direct sales contract” in regulation 2 (1), the terms of the contract
    were read by or explained to the consumer in the absence of the supplier;
    (f) any direct sales contract resulting from prior negotiations between the
    consumer and the supplier which took place in circumstances other than those
    referred to in paragraph (a) or (b) of the definition of “direct sales contract” in
    regulation 2 (1); and
    (g) any direct sales contract entered into by a consumer —
    (i) during a visit made by the supplier at the express request of another
    person to that other person’s place of residence or business; or
    (ii) after an offer was made by the consumer in respect of the supply of the
    goods or services in the circumstances referred to in sub-paragraph (i),
    if the consumer attended the visit with the prior knowledge that the supplier would be
    present to engage in the supply of the goods or services to which the contract relates.

BBTM, understand that you're trying to err on the side of caution, but definitely if you call the SPF, they have to question you first. As unless you are able to provide good reasons to suspect that these sales people have ill intent, or that they have already conned people, the SPF have little reason to question them. If they just go and question people like that they run the risk of harassing innocent civilians. Imagine yourself in the shoes of these sales people - you'll surely think: "What reasons do you have to suspect me of a crime when I have done nothing wrong?"

BBTM, understand that you're trying to err on the side of caution, but definitely if you call the SPF, they have to question you first. As unless you are able to provide good reasons to suspect that these sales people have ill intent, or that they have already conned people, the SPF have little reason to question them. If they just go and question people like that they run the risk of harassing innocent civilians. Imagine yourself in the shoes of these sales people - you'll surely think: "What reasons do you have to suspect me of a crime when I have done nothing wrong?"
    Be safe than sorry. Even mrt also ask us to report any suspicious person but no one bothers. Wait till thing happened, all panic. The insurance selling been highlighted recently, esp on old folks. If I just bochap, some old folks might get it. I just do what I think is correct, if those sales person is not out there to con, police just nothing to them. Police want to do their job or not, up to them but I hardly will bother on police notice cause it's too late as even they also dont bother in the first place.

Be safe than sorry. Even mrt also ask us to report any suspicious person but no one bothers. Wait till thing happened, all panic. The insurance selling been highlighted recently, esp on old folks. If I just bochap, some old folks might get it. I just do what I think is correct, if those sales person is not out there to con, police just nothing to them. Police want to do their job or not, up to them but I hardly will bother on police notice cause it's too late as even they also dont bother in the first place.
    If you want to be safe then read up on what kandinsky has posted (and other related material). Then go around and talk to those old folks who you think are at risk signing such contracts.
    There is a fine line between being careful, mindful and getting paranoid. Knowledge helps to stay on the side of the former and remain calm. If you know the rules it is much easier for you to spot those who break them, instead of assumptions and suspicions. It's good that the police questions you as well, the habit of reporting each and every fart in the neighborhood to police has not helped in any way, other than to burden and distract SPF from doing the important jobs. SPF is not the trash bin for rants and suspicions.
    EOS

MPs also go door to door, you want to call police too? lol
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    If you want to be safe then read up on what kandinsky has posted (and other related material). Then go around and talk to those old folks who you think are at risk signing such contracts.
    There is a fine line between being careful, mindful and getting paranoid. Knowledge helps to stay on the side of the former and remain calm. If you know the rules it is much easier for you to spot those who break them, instead of assumptions and suspicions. It's good that the police questions you as well, the habit of reporting each and every fart in the neighborhood to police has not helped in any way, other than to burden and distract SPF from doing the important jobs. SPF is not the trash bin for rants and suspicions.
    SPF always ask us to give information but when we does, they ignore. Just wait till thing happened, then says you not careful on it. Every thing they said are right, making me feels to help or not in the future. So, to those think the two sales person are ok to do so, wait till the day whereby those you know got cheated by some insurance seller. Then when you report to police, see what kind of treatment you will be getting. Ha ha!

They selling lemonade?

SPF always ask us to give information but when we does, they ignore. Just wait till thing happened, then says you not careful on it. Every thing they said are right, making me feels to help or not in the future. So, to those think the two sales person are ok to do so, wait till the day whereby those you know got cheated by some insurance seller. Then when you report to police, see what kind of treatment you will be getting. Ha ha!
    I think that there's a legal framework that the police have to follow.

I think you've been watching too many American cop dramas that are unrealistic and the cops always break rules to get their suspect

I think that there's a legal framework that the police have to follow.

I think you've been watching too many American cop dramas that are unrealistic and the cops always break rules to get their suspect
    The grey area. Need to be there when required. Cannot always use it. HK police drama/movie also showing. heh heh!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    can ask MP to show official pass first? who to call to verify?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    No need. When I was more cooperative (about more than a decade ago), ppl slammed the door in front of us during hse visit, we all got the hint and moved on to next hse one. No need call police.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by pettypoh View Post
    can ask MP to show official pass first? who to call to verify?
    The team lead of the hse to hse visit grp will have his/her face posted all over RC for verification.

During some festive, they'd even have their faces printed banner size. Can verify down to every single pimples.
    Last edited by Foxshade; 11th February 2014 at 12:30 PM.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Foxshade View Post
    The team lead of the hse to hse visit grp will have his/her face posted all over RC for verification.

During some festive, they'd even have their faces printed banner size. Can verify down to every single pimples.
    that time the advance party come to my house say my MP will come to my house, I told them give me a minute, I go get change.
    they mistaken that I said I'm not free to meet her.......

next time if my MP come again, I must complain..
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast